Have a flash sale and unvault EVERYTHING

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SteamFox, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Cicelee Augur

You can imagine that group of players to support your side of the debate. The reality is that only DBG, a business whose sole purpose is to make money, is aware of how large a group that is in EQ. And only DBG has access to the numbers to determine exactly how many are really buying DBG currency for cosmetic items. And the fact that DBG, again a company who cares first and foremost about revenue and profit, has not unvaulted ornaments like what is proposed speaks much louder to the reality of the situation than any fantasy or imagination some players may have.

And that reality is that people don't spend enough real dollars on cosmetic things to warrant the effort to unvault items.
  2. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Alright, now you are just being silly. They do unvault items and they keep making heritage crates which is likely way more effort than unvaulting something since new items are created. They make "new" bags every TLP. For Tunare's sake, they sold bags with US and Canadian flags on them around July 4th!

They have conservatively raised the price of subscriptions and expansion prices over the entire history of the game. They have made a huge pivot to the fluff stuff and continually make substantial investments in selling old expansion content. Ticking a box to make existing items appear in the store and/or scheduling items is probably on the radar of low expense, high return.

Real money or real money converted to special currency, the result is the same, profit.

Much like they handle announcements and certain feature rollouts, they are just clumsy with the store stuff.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

But they don't do it for every item at the same time and when they do it they also remove items from the marketplace at the same time. They do this on purpose to keep the selection of items limited.
  4. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Full circle to OP's point. Unvault it all in a big event. They are probably going to have more wallets/purses/bank accounts/mattresses open for their 30th expansion/25th anniversary than any point in recent history.
  5. Cicelee Augur

So what you are saying is that a person that pays $15 for a monthly subscription is actually paying $10 to play and $5 for 500 DBG currency? Because that would cause quite the riot for many players who would prefer to just spend $10 and not have the extra DBG currency.

Or.... you are wrong, and they pay $15 for the right to play EQ for 30 days. DBG not only provides the world to play in, but as a thank you they offer 500 currency. But in any event, I am curious if you believe that $15 goes to playing in their world for a month, or $10 allows you to play and everyone is forced to tack on an extra five for 500 currency? Because based on the quoted line, I think you honestly believe the $15 is a 10/5 split.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Absolutely not. I never said that or even implied that. In fact, I called it what it is, a bonus. Just like the sub allows you to play all of their other games whether you want to or not.

Reread the post where I very specifically addressed you discussing $10 to play/$5 currency. The bonus currency is just like a coupon. They are generous in letting that coupon accumulate in value. They are attempting to create the atmosphere for you to want to spend more money. That often involves selling something for less money, even giving something away.
  7. Cicelee Augur

But you actually did imply that when you said real money or real money converted to special currency. Because to me real money is $15. In no way, shape or form am I purposely wanting to give them real money for special currency, which you are implying either or is fine. And a coupon is not considered money, in fact coupons used to have a cash value of something insignificant like 1/100th of a penny.

The extra 500 currency is not a coupon. It is not worth $5. It is worth nothing. So again, if a weapon ornament is unvaulted and costs 3000 currency, and I have six months worth of free currency saved, DBG is getting ZERO dollars from me. And I get an ornament. That is not good business sense.
  8. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

No. That is reference to your general premise that people do not convert real money to DPG cash in large quantities, they just soak up the bonus.

Real money or real money converted to special currency is the same result, profit. These items have very little cost to reproduce, they are just data. They can give you one if you are subbed and cover the cost with that sub. They can restrict their purchase with special currency or real money purchase but, neither of those happen if the item is not available for purchase. No opportunity.

You can cloud the OP's point any way you want but the reality still exists, people want to give DPG real money for items that they do not make available for purchase.

I would extend OP's point, if they actually put effort into analysis of their treasure trove of player data, they could easily wipe away DPG cash that is stacked up with targeted "limited time" offers. If they created special items for special events related to the game, they could cash in on the atmosphere of fleeting moments.

A simple example, Velious is about to launch on Oakwynd, a special moment in time specific to that server. Create a unique portal to an iconic location in Velious available for sale in a limited window. Some doing the content as current will find that appealing for travel time. Also, portal collectors on live cannot resist yet another portal even if they never intend to go there again, that's how collecting works.

At a future time, we have your alt with whatever bonus DPG cash just sitting around. but digging into all character inventories on your account and logon history shows me you collect portal's and were not on during this special Velious recycle time. Upon your next visit to the store I present you a "unique opportunity" to buy that vaulted portal item but you do not have enough DPG cash. Now I have created a situation where the temptation to convert real money you had not been spending on that account into a purchase is backed by more relevant information and I keep my vaulted item vaulted while making a sale. I ahve also created a new "bonus" for subscribing, "special offers". If you take the offer, yes, it was sold at a discount but, sans that opportunity, you would have spent $0 extra real dollars in that time period. The bottom line looks better. It does not matter if you refuse the offer. Someone take it.

That example is wide eyed optimism. OP is requesting the most basic thing they could do, just have an unvaulting event.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are never going to do that, they keep taking items out of the marketplace and bringing them back for a reason.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They are only paying that much if they pay month to month and if they take advantage of the discounts they are only paying $9.99 a month with the yearly subscription which would make what they pay for EQ even less.
  12. Cicelee Augur

Bottom line is this- you and I disagree as to how much players spend on DBG currency to buy illusions, mounts, etc. You believe that many players are spending real dollars on the currency to buy cosmetic stuff. I believe very few are, and most purchases of cosmetic stuff is used with hoarded 500/month currency. I am not going to change your mind, and you are not going to change mine.

The only people who know for sure is DBG. And I firmly believe if DBG would make a sizeable, tangible, noticeable profit from unvaulting all items where they believe hundreds/thousands of players will shell out dollars when the unvaulting happens... they (a for profit company) would do so, and would have done so already. The fact that they have not tells me that when it comes to this debate, their facts mirror my beliefs.

Good discussion BTW, at least you speak articulately and use sentences and conversation. We may disagree, but that is OK.
  13. Cicelee Augur

I know, I did not want to type out every single price point plan in my debate responses. I would hope the reader would get the concept based off of the one example
  14. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

AGAIN, for those of you not paying attention.

The marketplace makes way more than most of the forum posters think.

I know by my own royalty checks, they make a minimum of thousands to tens of thousands of dollars every month on Player Studio items ALONE.

Here's some Sancus math for ya.

They don't actually do a rotation, so they aren't working the FOMO angle. They have never put much effort into the marketplace. As such, they're getting pretty big bang for their buck, by doing virtually nothing and continuing to profit. The only people doing less work and still making money are us Player Studio artists.
    ;)
    Marton likes this.
  15. Cicelee Augur

I did not see anywhere in Sancus math of the 500 free currency. I get 6k currency per year, which translates roughly to $60. The debate is if an unvaulting happens, are people spending $60 cash at that time to buy items, or are they using their free/hoarded 6k currency to buy items.

If people are spending actual cash at the time of the unvault, then good business. If people use their hoarded currency, then they are not making any money- bad business. IIRC you get a check everytime someone buys one of your robes (some of them are awesome BTW) regardless of whether or not someone spent money at that time to get currency to buy the robe, or if hoarded currency was used (again, no money given to DBG for that transaction).
  16. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I only get paid, and pay my taxes on REAL PROFIT. Not 'free coins' that benefit nobody. And I keep on gettin' paid, real money.

EDIT:
    The point what would happen IF they un-vaulted things is moot. IF the devs read this, and IF they cared, they don't get to decide anyway. OP needs Ji Ham's email address and a miracle for it to happen. So, no, it won't happen. But don't be mistaken. They would absolutely profit from it. Profit enough to satisfy some bean-counter in an office that knows nothing about EQ? Probably no way.
  17. Marton Augur

People absolutely are spending real dollars.

In every guild I've been a member of there was a large number of people paying for cosmetic items, buying stuff to decorate around holidays, and buying new crates, buying those over and over and over because they want to collect all items. People drop $300 - $600 and more on new crates. Do I think they are crazy for spending real $ on few pixels? Yes, I do. But they want that stuff so they will buy it. Different strokes for different folks.

Also, all those Kronos that people use to buy gear on TLP servers and raid gear/plevel services etc on Live servers have to come from somewhere ...

You can believe what you want, but Daybreak gets a nice chunk of money from marketplace.
    MasterMagnus and Nennius like this.
  18. Stymie Pendragon

You got me to login just to like this! :)

Edit to add:

I think that they should’ve either put a limit per transaction on loyalty coins, or had made them only usable on select items like exp potions, haste buffs, etc. It’s too late for that now, but I would’ve gone about it differently if I were making the call when this rolled out. Also, why not put all of their digital assets up for purchase all of the time, beyond the FOMO angle? They’ve already spent the money creating an endless supply. Is there some sort of space allocation restriction in their store for some reason? They could create a legacy tab, or something similar, to keep the focus on the newer or higher selling items. I just don’t get it. It’s been a while since they responded to a similar thread with their reason why, and I can’t recall what it was. I do, however, recall not liking the answer given.
    MasterMagnus and Nennius like this.
  19. Kompacte_of_Test Journeyman

Same here.
    Ozon, Stymie and Nennius like this.
  20. B0HICA New Member

[IMG]

The people want to shop!