Has anyone played Wiz/Brd 2 box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclyte, May 4, 2020.

1. Arclyte Augur

I was thinking of playing a Wizard this time around. I've never boxed before but I still want to group up with people.

Has anyone here played that combo? I figure the bard could pull, and the wiz would just drop rains/nukes, I don't want to get too complicated for my first duo.
  2. code-zero Augur

I've played that combo for years and it's a lot more flexible than you've even outlined. Bards aren't quite as potent as enchanter for ADPS with a wizard but things like run speed buffs more than make up for that
  3. Accipiter Old Timer

Is the bard tanking or are you going to be kiting? If the bard is tanking, who is healing?
  4. code-zero Augur

Depended on my mood, when beams were unlimited I'd just keep the bard following with Selo running. Other times with the bard reverse charm kiting I could finish the former pet off really fast with the wizard. Much better than running in a circle trying to chant
  5. HoodenShuklak Augur

I actually did this on agnarr, but if you want to tank you need a healer.

You're the king of travel and ripe for dps racing though.
  6. Lumiens Augur

Having to pull on your bard in groups defeats the entire purpose of playing a wizard. Some groups are happy just to let the bard park in the corner with songs running though. You could still afk on your wizard then, but your breaks will just be cut a bit short due to mana song.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  7. Arclyte Augur

Well I don't want to be a total AFK scumbag. I assume people would expect the bard to pull.
  8. code-zero Augur

No actually, bring the bard in and have a social set up to fire off the wizards spells, Take the bard out for the next pull while the wizard nukes away. You can easily get the hang of it
  9. Minpire Augur

Quad Kiting Advantages seem pretty good with a bard i would imagine maybe starting in Velious? :p
  10. Rhek New Member

I boxed a Bard / Wizard on Mangler. They are an unorthodox but viable combo for sure.

As a straight duo they are pretty decent if you have the patience and skill to learn how to kite. It is definitely a fun pastime to do while trying to get a group (which is much better exp). This is not the greatest duo for dungeon crawling or camping rares unless you are very skilled with the Bard - although you will have very high burst damage for DPS races. Obviously traveling between zones is rediculously easy with these two.

From a grouping perspective they are great to box together. You will be pulling with the bard while the wizard stays sitting in camp. The wizard can get off a nuke or 2 before the bard runs to grab another pull. The combo works because the Wiz doesn't need much input to do well which means you can focus on pulling with the bard.

In raids the bard becomes a melody box and let's your wizard really shine. Usually the tank & melee groups get priority for having a bard in their group, so bringing your own bard is great!
  11. Gremin Augur

Its a nice setup if you know how to quad kite, where to kite for an endless supply of mobs OR if you find a perm group who has a great combo of 4 other toons to mesh with yours.
  12. Bard2019 Elder

Having played Bard/Magician and Bard/Necromancer many times, the one benefit that I can foresee for Bard/Wizard is Mez-Lock + DD. You can Mez-Lock most single mobs in Classic/Kunark, pretty much endlessly on a Bard(and a good Bard can keep 3-4 things mezzed indefinitely) but if it's a mob that's hard hitting, your pets are just going to get shredded and you can't just toss DoTs on a Mezzed target as it'll break the Mez. You could however, Mez-Lock with the Bard while feeding Mana to the Wizard as they drop their best nukes, timed with the Bard's Mez cast to ensure the mob is only free for a split second before the next Mez hits. And having done something similar with a petless Magician I know that this tactic works and works well indoors and out, as long as you're maining the Bard and understand how to crowd control and break camps/pull. The biggest issue prior to Velious, will be enemies with high Magic Resistance until you get Occlusion of Sound.
  13. ElKingOfZeBongo New Member

My 2 cents on the wiz bard duo, played it on ragefire from classic to luclin top guild.

5min away from anywhere in the game and that s a sweeeeeet thing
    Very strong duo, you will spend most of the time on the bard. Just a few macro to chain nuck on wiz when necessary is enough, nothing surprising here that s wiz life...
    The capacity to track in donjon, crawl in pacify, charm burn named is lovely... takes a bit of practice but once you get it right, you ll make tons of plats with it - i don t speak about not being KOS in chardok, that would be cheating.... xd
    Excellent to start full AOE group
    Good bard and strong DPS is always valuable in group, wiz are good in raid in early extensions

Overall a fun and much stronger duo than on the paper, i really enjoyed my time playing it.
  14. BoatsNotes New Member

Played this duo on mangler and really loved it, so much so that Im having a hard time not doing it again and trying to talk myself into something different.

Main takeaways:

1. Travel. Cant really get any faster than this combo, plus you have the benefit of sky and hate ports over a druid.

2. Groups. Fairly easy to get one or both into a group. I was also often able to put the bard in a group and let the wizard just dps from out of the group and people liked that, then when someone left I could just get the wizard in and we didnt have to wait.

3. Kiting. Single pull kiting was fine in classic (can decently unload on AC for jboots in oot), but you can start quading in Kunark, like in skyfire, and sell pearl drops plus the exp isnt terrible if youre waiting for a group or only have a small time window.

4. Consistency. Both classes stay consistently desired and powerful throughout the expacs. Raids want bards and you can basically just follow and melody while maining the wizard.

5. AOE. Great classes for AOE grinding groups. Bard can pull and wizard can dps and you literally do those jobs at different times so theres not even any back and forth between characters.