HA Scaling

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Stageguy, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Tornicade_IV Augur

whats the purpose of the "hard" core?
    this is either a request to nerf the rewards for some or others or add in a new set of rewards

lets assume the normal COTF Ha's are considered pre patch too severe to leave as is any longer.

That means that no matter what. Scaling isn't gonna be reverted back to what it was the 1st month after ROS release.

so how does a normal/ hard version address anything?
    it seems like it only adds additional scaling for little to no benefit
  2. wiha Elder

what about the RoS missions with the new way it is if your not in a high power raid group you are not getting them done some of us are not into raids and in fact I hate raiding and so most of my stuff with my friends in a group how ever I got 3 raid gear friends Pal, Ber, ranger, raid geared and a necro, and chanter with 1 merc healer and we could not do a mission how can we get to the VP zones end game if we are so over powered in the missions? they could be scaled back at lest a little so some groupers can get them done
  3. Orcen Elder

So raid geared folks, would pop lesson and blow through Gribble's HA's in about 10 minutes, yielding over 100 aa's for 10 minutes work. Ok yah there is a problem w that. So you attune the HA's to slow down the raid geared, which totally screws the group geared. 109 level HA in Neriak, took 2 hours, had all single pulls, and the group still suffered numorous deaths. all for 3% exp.
    Raid geared folks, have blown through ROS progression in two weeks. While group geared cant get out of OT.
    Problem = Raid gear is too powerful for group content. Making group content into near raid level content is not the solution.
    Why dont you just find a way to mitigate raid gear in group content and make group content appropriate to groups? Then game is a just and rewarding challenge to everyone.
    Mordeen likes this.
  4. Daedly Augur

Raid gear should make people more powerful. No reason to stop that. Group stuff should be made to be handled with group gear, if raiders get an advantage due to their gear, good. That is the reward for raiding....
    Gana and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  5. Fohpo Augur

It would be kind of cool if they brought back mini-raid named that were designed for 2-4 groups and had gear in between group T2 and raid gear.
    Andarriel and Daedly like this.
  6. illythid Roaming Funeral Director

I just re-upped my account last night and downloaded patches. Imagine my dismay after reading all of this news about HAs.

Not. Cool.
    Mordeen and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Raid-geared players who can plow through gribbles that fast, are getting better xp by grinding in sathirs tomb(not to mention more relevant loot).

Gribbles is not as awesome for xp as people believe, at least not if you have more than 20 mins of playtime.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  8. Daedly Augur

I wouldn't mind seeing someth8ng like Heroic Encounters, where it's a relatively mechanically simple boss encounter designed to be beat by 2 groups of group geared players in max tier gear. With a max 16 players. Drops would be 5 pieces of group gear with small chance for a 6th piece of that expansions random chase loot.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Isn't that the exact purpose of VP?
    I have not been in the static zone yet, but wasn't the nameds in VP tuned towards 2-groups?
  10. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Yeah I also hate when I fail to research something before I commit to it, then act surprised when it's not what I had hoped for.
  11. Karthanon Augur

You're talking about marriage, aren't you? I mean...well, it certainly seems like you are..you are, right?
    Stageguy, Gana and Dewhead like this.
  12. Daedly Augur

No idea, still haven't done any killing RoS yet. I am trying to get caught up on TDS, TBM, and EoK stuff before I invest time there.
    Andarriel likes this.
  13. Zhaunil_AB Augur

The way i've read beta, no.
    Only the one mission was tuned for two groups, not the whole zone.
    At least, we have guild groups in VP - normal ones, not 2group-mini raids.
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Strange.
    I thought the reward of raiding were that i "beat" EQ, or at least it's current increment.
    IMO there is absolutely no reason why my raid gear should work in group content any different than group-content.
    But i see at least one very good reason for it to only work in raid content:
    Both group AND raid content tuning would be far easier.
    And a nice side-effect:
    There'd be no "this requires raid-gear" discussions anymore.

But there are too many of the too vocal people who cling to their "superiority" from gear, despite their constant references to "skill", so we are unlikely to see any change in that paradigm. For myself, it'd already do if we'd see the absolute gap closing drastically and kept the same from expansion to expansion (instead of the relative distance raid to group gear we currently have); while not ideal, it'd achieve almost the same, plus it'd make scaling easier even and keeping a set number of "old" expansions viable for group-upgrades too.

I just wonder: how did this thread about scaling HAs turn into a gear discussion? *groans*
    Sure, raid-gear enables you to still do these, albeit slowly yet still somehow speedier than in group gear (if the group-geared is able to do a certain HA at all).
    But the problem we're having is not at all gear related.
    The problem is that something that should take 2-3players (in group gear too) only 30-45minutes does take much longer, if it's at all possible. It's broken - THAT's the problem, not the gear you run around in.
    Mordeen likes this.
  15. Daedly Augur

"The reward" was bad wording on my part. I noticed it right after I hit post. I didn't want to edit it though as I had typed out my entire reply while I was driving home heh. My intent of my post was that group difficulty should be based off of group gear, regardless of any advantage raid gear gives people. If someone wants that advantage, then they can start raiding.

As for the skill vs gear argument, I think people are kidding themselves if they don't believe skill plays a role. Sometimes gear an get you through, other times it takes skill. Any raider, worth anything, takes the time to learn about their class because they need to contribute. I think it is safe to say the odds of a raider knowing the ins and outs of their class is more likely than the other way around. There are always exceptions.

All that aside, I am not arguing against the point of the thread. I just replied to a comment that I disagreed with. Nothing more.
  16. Tornicade_IV Augur

The problem with the skill vs argument. is that typically you have an elitist in raid gear assessing the skill of a group player not on specific situations or encounter but in a general broad sense.

Preparation ,Tactics and Experience plays into skill and how you use ones toons skillset.

Big differences between raid gear and group gear toons in group content are typically the volume of content mechanics that the raid geared toon can ignore because of the gear.
    Thing like debuffing mobs. Ae Damage, Eating enrage, utilizing certain disc and spells etc are often negated by raid level geared tons.

for instance Elle in that one TBM mission has a 94k ae nuke and Ralph has a 74k ae (I'm not gonna look it up but its is at least a 20k difference.) at level 100. Where Elle might force the tank to keep at 80% life to survive the ae if it goes up and a raid geared toon might have to just keep over 60% health to survive the AE. in this example the group geared tank might take up to 4 of these aes whereas a raider gear toon with the added dps might only take 2.

now the skilled player will attempt to disrupt the spell in this event but the better geared player has lesser consequences if they fail to do so.

Another example off the top of my head where gear can negate skill is the three agro linked mobs outside of Neriak. these mobs are heavily buffed with cleric buffs and runes. one sis typically a Charmed mob. A raid gear toned can go in there and waste the mobs away without a second thought because of their added dps,whereas, a group geared toon will need to debuff, probably self dot and use disc to burn the charmer.
    I ma fine with all of this . its the benefit of choosing to or not choosing to engage in the raid game

but then that raid geared toon is coming on the forums and telling everyone if they have problems with that encounter then they lack the skill when they didn't need to use any of their "skill" for that encounter in the first place or that requesting an entry level itemization increase is being lazy, dumb or unnecessary cluttering up the threads to detract from something that doesn't suit their agenda for whatever reason.
    Mordeen and Eggolas like this.
  17. eqgamer Augur

no. It’s not geared to that. My sk (group geared along w some rares) and my box enc beat elder ekron np. Encs healer died instantly (not sure what happen there) and my sks healer was on passive until mob was at 10. Yes I threw a lot at it but point is it was super easy.
  18. Abrax Apprentice

Some of the TBM missions with the new scaling are harder now than when they were when new.

The nameds that pop inside the HA's in a few cases would need an ideal group of skilled players.

With this kind of scaling too much content is removed from the average player leaving some level ranges with too little to do.

I am fairly sure I have never asked for content to be scaled back but some of these missions have gone from fun with a little challenge to an imbalanced mess that can be unpleasant for an average group.

If it is too much work at this time to tune these missions properly than they should be reverted to their previous state.
    Yinla likes this.
  19. SaffronYellowLotus Journeyman

This is very well written and is something I have been observing from a lot of so called "skilled" raid geared folks on my server. Their dps allows them to mow down mobs like crazy and run through places other people are trying to hunt in and cause all kinds of trouble for us non-raiders. They go through like locusts and just make a mess of things. So awesome spending all day getting a named in OT to spawn for instance and then have some raid folks swoop in and kill it right in front of you because you had to clear the adds first and they didn't and just plowed through.

But yeah, this is all off topic but I think it came up because since there was no reasoning given as to why DB royally jacked up the HAs we all had to start guessing. I could care less about Gribbles, I am now unable to finish any of the progression I was working on and don't give me crap about having years to do it as some of us took a break in there. I actually thought EQ died back around PoP since there was nobody online on my server back then and I only came back after TBM came out due to some random thing I saw on Google. Now that I have the levels and gear to do progression (after learning that it even was a thing you need to do) I can't because some keyboard hero jacked up everything. Just revert it back to before and fix some of the real issues in the game. If people are correct in thinking raid gear is over powered then tune it down or make it raid only or something that doesn't ruin everything for the rest of us trying to get by. It's like getting a flat tire on your car and having your mechanic tell you that you need to get wings installed on it, a larger engine to run the prop he needs to put on the front, and you also need to get a pilot's license now to get it home instead of just changing the stupid tire. Find out how you got a flat tire in the first place and fix that.
    drakinula and Tornicade_IV like this.
  20. Eonan Journeyman

Wait so are the DH HA's like...infinitely harder now? Just re-subbed my box crew yesterday...was planning to finish leveling them to 105 in them...