guyz! do gear and augs even matter for dps?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by gnomeboss, May 22, 2017.

1. gnomeboss Augur

of course they matter, but how much?

i swapped out my monk's tbm full set of tbm raid gear and augs for all eok group gear with no augs. i got the best hdex group gear i could because why not.

parsed. 1 hour. with my spam key on my razer and autoskills, it was a solid effort of button presses. time was short, sure, but the method was consistent is what i'm trying to convey.

then i put 32 dex augs in all my slot 5. that's 20 slots. parsed again. 1 hour.

the difference? 3 percent increase. crit rate rose as expected which was reassuring.

now, if i put my tbm raid gear back on, with augs, am i going to get another 6 percent? i guess i'll know later when i do it.

but all the numbers aside, i kinda come away from this feeling like I've spent a considerable amount of time and worry min/maxing my guy for very small gains. which is the nature of the game, sure, but gosh, it seems like if i just have a weapon and whatever slop i can find, it will be essentially a push for someone who just does group content.

any thoughts or observations aside from the ubiquitous MOAR DPS IS MOAR DPS and/or a meme from sheex. /gauntlet thrown
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Player skill > All

People worry way too much about min maxing gear in general if they spent 1/4 of that time sitting on a parse dummy working out the how to do it, the situation would take care of itself.

But most people are lazy and that requires more problem solving and player knowledge to accomplish. Hell most people don't even know what 3/4 of their buttons do and how they stack with every other class on a raid or in a group.

So whatever
  3. gnomeboss Augur

couldn't agree with you more. I always prided myself on destroying my keyboard along with harassing the out of promonks in order to suck less.

but that aside, those two parses are made were identical. too short to probably draw real conclusions, but I guess the point remains that I feel like all those non vis slots and all those aug slots really don't seem to add up to moar pew pew and that's disheartening. or maybe that's the way it's always been and I've been swimming around in the ignorance pool looking for mermaids.
    Chaosflux likes this.
  4. Chaosflux Augur

10/10 mermaid analogy
  5. mackal Augur

min/maxing is all about small gains. Whats sucks is someone can still beat you in worse gear if they get better rolls :p But on average you will be contributing more damage to the raid.
  6. Brohg Augur

Parsing against dummies minimizes the effect of gear unless someone's taken several minutes to pump its AC up to meaningful levels. Not that it will make your better stuff look wildly better, but the delta shifts significantly.
  7. Phrovo1 Augur

mostly just to measure on Magelo
    Chaosflux likes this.
  8. Tucoh Augur

Gnomeboss, I think outside weapon augs, (ex Claim of the Warbringer / Orb of Tormented Rage), augs don't help DPS all that much.

But EQ is all about incremental improvements and completing the game, so getting that artisan, shawl, skeletal parrot, tear of alaris and Breakdown in Communication aug are just something we do.

What would you say reasonable AC values would be?

I did some testing to try to answer that over the weekend (and answer the question of how much does ATK/AC Debuffs matter), and only tested one mob (a level 105 "a guardian" in Lab) and found its AC to be pretty low at around ~450. I found this by looking at the DI histogram created from attacking it, then adjusting guild hall target dummy's AC until the DI histogram matched.

I want to try a few other mobs before talking too much about it, but the tldr of it is that I hit for a DI of 20 like 75% of the time even with an unbuffed ATK of 2880.
  9. Chaosflux Augur

1200 seems to be about where EOK group mobs are when I did a comparison with my paladin IIRC I have it written down somewhere I might be off.
  10. Tucoh Augur

I wouldn't mind seeing your results, could save me a lot of time if they are handy.
  11. fransisco Augur

Gear augs really only matter for tanks (AC) and then, its alot less than it used to be.
    The percentage of total AC that augments contribute is significantly less than it used to be a few years ago.

They are still significant for tanks, but not even as much anymore.

Mostly, augs are part of the great hamster wheel.