Gurndal the Graceful

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Stephen51, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Stephen51 Augur

I was re-visiting the HA - We Make Our Owe Rewards in Demi Plane of Life (TBM) to get some collectables for my alts.

My main a 110 Paladin and his Cleric Soother pretty much mowed down the mobs in this mission as, after the most recent patch, the cap had been placed on HA's and this was capped at 105, that being the level cap at the time TBM came out.

I spawned Gurndal the Graceful, which is undead, so as a Paladin I thought I had a good chance to take this guy out. Paladins have a slow of sorts for undead now linked to one of our agro spells (Refute for Honor) and better dps with undead slays.

However although he was dark blue to me, it soon became apparent that he was no pushover. I am not one for parsing, which is part of the reason I've posted,. but his hit points just were not decreasing. Due to the recent(ish) nerf to hybrid discs I was soon through all of my defensive stuff and he killed me. The mission was locked so I started again and returned with my girlfriends Druid and Wizzie merc, and although we killed it, it was still pretty tough.

I appreciate some may say that HAs are not made to be moloed, and to a certain extent, this case made me think the same, until I killed a name a week or so later in the static zone. Guardian Jenat was living, so slowing it wasn't on the table and dps was lower, and it was nowhere near as bad as old Gurndal.

I wondered if any one else has any similar experiences after the HA's were capped. In the main I've had very little problems with them since the patch, but this guy seemed a bit out of place. If there are others finding the same, I may shoot off a message to Ngreth to ask if he would have a look at the mob.
  2. Funk Augur

This named scales up to a max of 107 or 108 I'd imagine. So you really want them to look at the mob because you couldn't solo a 108 named with your merc? But with Paladin + druid and 2 mercs you won.

I seriously think it sounds like the mob is tuned 100% perfectly.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I would have to agree with Funk. Not sure I see a problem here. Just my opinion though.
  4. Stephen51 Augur

No, I was asking if anyone else who had encountered the mob since the last patch had had any problems.

Allah has the mob at 109, the same as Guardian Jenat in the same zone, the two were night and day.

So no, it wasn't ego, or a wish for EQEasy mode, if 2 110's (plus mercs) struggle with one named and the other is molo'd I think the question can be at least asked is something is out of sync.

Of course not all named are equal, even in the same expansion, or even the same zone, but I felt the difference was enough to raise it.
  5. Qbert Gallifreyan

I don't recall this one specifically as being a problem, but I (also a paladin) did fight it recently when I was wrapping up some collectibles for a friend. If I had to guess, it would be the corruption-based large DoT that would be the difference between this mob and others in the same tier (harder to resist, generally).

Similarly, the ghoul mobs in most of the instances in TBM (not sure about this named) are for whatever reason not flagged as undead (though they are in the static zones).
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I had a enraged guardian of Sul hitting for 52K in one TBM instance this week. Seems their retune to a max of level 105 is a bit off. Though I'm not sure how hard current content is hitting for, I my level 110 is a wizzy who doesn't get hit unless I do something stupid. The alt I was on at the time is level 108 and is still working CotF, TDS, TBM and EoK not set foot in RoS yet.
  7. Stephen51 Augur

I was pretty sure that slow stuck to this guy, and that I was able to use Vanquish the Fallen on it. That said I don't remember seeing much in the way of slays. I will go back and take another look, because what you said about ghouls rings a bell. In Crypt of Sul HA/Mission be it accident or design ghouls were not flagged undead in some/all.
  8. Cloudia Augur

I remember killing this mob in HA back before the nonsense RoS scaling mess at 110. This was pre shaman/druid dot nerf.
    At that time the mob had a huge boatload of HPs as I recall, nothing really special but even with the good DPS from a druid and a shaman (105 dots) piled on it took a long time to kill.
  9. 22wplkj Lorekeeper

I started TBM last January before the retune.. At lvl 105 I got through "Into the Temple" and "In Defense of Health" by being careful and going slow. I did get through them though. I did them again in March after the final retune and those HA's were significantly more difficult at lvl 105 with the same gear. I had not played the game since January so there were no changes to my toons. I am level 108 now and having an easier time. I even killed the named at the end of "We Make Our Own Rewards" and I was very doubtful about that ending well. I am happy with the retune now that I have leveled up some.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the the way I understand it is TBM HA's being capped at lvl 105 will still give you lvl 106 plus mobs. A named in TBM will still be 108 or 109. All lvl 106 plus mobs were buffed up for ROS so you will get hard hitting mobs in TBM or wherever else lvl 106 plus creatures are. The named in TBM have special abilities and DD that were buffed up also simply because they are lvl 106 plus. Maybe some were buffed too much in a general way that did not account for their special damage. I am glad some players are on the lookout for this.

This is probably as good as it will get though. ( and I think it is pretty good ). Applause to the devs for the retune of the retune.