Guilds - How large is too large?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Knighted, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Bobokin Augur

You mean they want the ability to have a viable guild without the constant poaching of the uber guilds?

Let's talk about Empire. How many countries in Africa became free when the British Empire ruled the waves? Liberia? Sorry, in your analogy, the empire boot is on the wrong foot.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Which servers is this constant poaching occurring on? And what exactly is considered poaching?

Players leave my guild and this is the time of year it happens most summer to beginning of fall. Every year. I never consider the players as being poached though. I assume that they move to another guild because they think it will make the game more fun for them.

Someone leaving for another guild does not mean they were poached. It means they made a decision to leave an existing guild for another one.

While I think it is bad taste for a guild to asking players to join them when they are in another guild I still think it is the right of the player to make the decision. Unless a player is tricked or scammed into joining another guild I am not sure what can be said about it. And even then they just go back to their old guild with a lesson learned.
  3. Redsumm Journeyman

Poaching? Guilds do not have a right to members.
    Again, you demonstrate how this is all about the ego of the small guild empire-builder.

There are plenty of viable guilds. It seems peeps are joining those guilds rather than others.
  4. svann Augur

A guild is too large when the GGH crashes the server.
  5. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Would hate to be in a big guild just because of the guild chat spam be like east commons when people sold there before the baz. i personally made a guild for guild port as most are better than my wizards or at least some.

Andarriel
  6. svann Augur

Its not the chat spam its the achievements spam.
    Bigstomp, Elyssanda and Zamiam like this.
  7. KermittheFroglok Augur

If you have to complain about bigger guilds existing and taking your players you’re failing terribly as a guild leader and should probably step down and accept you are not mature or adept enough for leadership. People can join whatever guild they want, if your guild isn’t meeting their needs and they quit that’s your problem to solve.

Not raiding enough or not raiding current content, have inferior guild amenities like tribute or a stash of trade skill items, missing a decked out guild hall, lack a guild neighborhood, not helping players build up their toons enough, a social culture that’s lacking or poor or toxic, ... those are all things you need to sort out. If you have all that and another guild does better, it’s still your guild leader and officer’s job to figure out retention.

In brief don’t blame established reputable guilds for your failure to attract/retain members, learn and improve your guild.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Oh yea been too long. when i was in a guild there were achievements all the time and everyone has to say grats ect ect lol that got old real fast. back in the day when i was on bb originally from the tribunal rip.

Andarriel

ps you can turn off achievements but everyone is still saying congrats and you wonder what there talking about haha.
  9. Zamiam Augur

they should make a way to turn off /ach spam for the little things like soandso has completed PoK traveler or Guild lobby traveler .. any of the traveler /ach's should be able to turn off .. or hidden ..
    and if there is a way to do that let me know :p
  10. Zamiam Augur

lol I had a default hotkey that /gu Grats way to go!! . and everytime an /ach came over /gu I hit that button when it was a trivial /ach .. if it was a serious accomplishment then I would chime in with their name and so forth ..
  11. svann Augur

Or give it a filter designation separate from guildchat so I can put it in its own window tab.
    Zamiam likes this.
  12. Bobokin Augur

Poaching are guild recruiters actively pursuing characters from other guilds every time they group. The largest guilds know me on my server, but they try to convince my alts to move to their guild almost every time we group. Same with my kids and family members.

Yes, some players just move in and out. That's how it goes.