Guilds - How large is too large?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Knighted, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Nennius Curmudgeon

2. Bobokin Augur

Actually, they often do, and they often ask about that when being recruited.

The uber guild on my server not only uses its size to recruit, but they also actively poach players from smaller guilds using their guild size as the key factor. Uber guilds that are not actively doing this still get a similar benefit.

This has caused trouble for guilds that have been around for 10 or 15 years, and it has made starting new grouping guilds very difficult if not nearly impossible.

Yeah, anyone can start a personal guild, but that isn't what we are talking about here.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

[/quote]

Any guild of any size can use scummy recruiting practices. We used to have a casual guild on our server where the person made up all sorts of things to recruit folks.

Whether a guild has honour or not is not size related. I occasionally get folks leaving a raid guild to come to mine. If they approach me in advance I suggest they put an unguilded alt in our guild to see if would be something they like. Testing us out with a throwaway toon is always how I suggest people try us out. And years ago when we would get more lateral movement from other guilds casual guilds around our size my first question would be what does the person think will be different if they join us over their current guild. I also suggest they talk to their guild leader before moving.

Thing is you can't paint every guild for the same brush. Our guild works at being good server citizens and that includes in recruiting but we still end up with a lot of players for what is usual for current live servers.

I certainly do not want to see our guild penalized because some other large guild has unsavory recruiting practices.
  4. Bobokin Augur

Regardless of purposeful recruiting practices, your guild benefits.

Obviously, you disagree that anything should be done, and I understand that point of view, but sometimes changes need to be made for the benefit of the needs of the many over the needs of the one.
  5. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And sometimes they don't. Frankly it just comes off as sour grapes.
  6. Veritas New Member

And most of the times this game changes things for the one and ticks off the many. Takes your enjoyment and nerfs it. So i suppose we should just make it mandatory to join a small guild and make the one happy until he is no longer a small guild and is forced to shed players to make the next whinger happy.
  7. Bobokin Augur

Riiiiight. o_O

How many guilds do you believe would have to shed characters if the guild size limit was say ... 3,000?

On the other side of the equation ... how many smaller guilds would do better with 300 or 500 characters rather than 150 or 200?
    Beastly likes this.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Roster size is irrelevant. Anyone who recruits people based on their roster size is foolish. Anyone who joins a guild based on roster size is foolish. Anyone who worries about roster size is foolish.

Actual toons usually online is the only real factor.

Any guild with over 3k in roster size on Live servers would be like my guild and carrying a lot of inactives. If you are talking about newish TLP servers I have no idea. But things are quite different in regards to guilds on Live versus newish TLPs. And forcing guilds to remove inactives would just be childish.

And on Live servers all that limiting the roster server to 3k would do is limit how many inactives a guild could carry.

The desire for Daybreak to step in and help you get a larger guild won't work BECAUSE things are very different on Live and newish TLPs.

But you do have every right to talk about it and hope Daybreak makes some rules for you. I just don't think it is overly likely.
  9. Veritas New Member

There is always many view points and all have some validity to the person making them verbal/known. Change to a system that is 20 years old and functioning just to me does not make the most sense when there is plenty to keep functioning.Making guilds form 5 versions of themselves just to me is not the best of ideas.
  10. Bobokin Augur

There are guilds with 15,000 characters? Oh my! :confused:
  11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Did OP actually suggest guild sizes be limited?

If you want the game to die, this is how. GREAT suggestion, OP.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  12. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I know I am being picky but you wouldn't need 15k players for 5 versions of a guild. At most you would need 12k players for that that. But even then it would be unlikely each version of the guild would get to the 3k cap before a new one was created. And they likely wouldn't keep them full so players could move around as needed.
  13. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Guild size is relatively meaningless past a point.

If you want a raiding guild, the only 4 questions that matter are:

Do you raid? Do you actually raid or do you "raid"? Do you fit my time zone? (if it's me asking, you probably dont! Hooray :|) Are you recruiting? (Of course you are).

If you want a casual guild, it matters how active the player base is in your available time, how annoying the environment is (If I'm not raiding I'd take ~20 active people who want to do stuff over 100 pepple who like to spam chat any day of the week), numbers of active people in your "let's do stuff" range, how many people want to do stuff vs sit around and bs in the guildhall / pok / bazaar.

If you're wondering why people dont want to join a guild of 10-20, its largely because you really cant do much, and if they dont perfectly match your peak hours, theres even less to do.

If you dont have an active presence between 8pm and midnight pacific time, of people who want to do things during that time, I have little incentive to ever join your guild, regardless of how big or small you are. Theres a LOT more than size that matters.
  14. Beastly New Member

Yes, people ... there is a lot more than size that matters, but it is not meaningless.

There are only so many players on each server.
  15. Bobokin Augur

Size matters in all of your other points. A guild that has 3,000 characters is much more likely to match your peak hours than a guild of 300. A guild has to maintain a threshold of viability, and since there are very few actual new players in Everquest, it is a zero sum game.

In our case, it is moot. We have decided to collapse our guild down to family only. Constant recruiting has taken its toll on our officers. We are not getting any younger, and I personally have health issues. After a decade of fighting the good fight, our guild will no longer be an open multiplayer guild. The uber guilds have won. Like the rise of Amazon, it was likely inevitable.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

When there is not enough room in the guildhall for all the anchors, then the guild is too large...:p
    Bigstomp and Elyssanda like this.
  17. Yimin Augur

A guild can never be to large ! If your not growing your dying ......

YiMin
    Bigstomp likes this.
  18. Leex Pewpewer

Being realistic in a fantasy game isn't always the easiest.

Being small puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to what you can offer. People who join guilds on a causal basis worry more about what a guild can do for them, vs the other way around.

It sounds like you need better recruiting and a plan of action when you start to get members. Reputation matters as well. For all we know, your little guild could be filled with trolls and annoying people, which is causing it to fail.

I highly doubt anyone will support putting a cap on the size of a guild. Larger guilds contribute more than a smaller guild, generally. More information, more members to keep you active and grouped, and easier to make friends.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

I would argue that most guilds that have been around a while are a little bit careful about recruitment.
    An idiot (use your favorite more derogatory terms here) does nothing to help the guild and in fact pollutes it.
  20. Redsumm Journeyman

This is 100% about the ego of these particular small guild individuals who want an (albeit little) empire and, lacking their ability to achieve it, they want to handicap others. That is not a reasonable justification.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.