Guilds - How large is too large?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Knighted, Feb 6, 2020.

1. svann Augur

But the effect on the new player would be that they may not join the guild they want. How bad is that for a new player?? In any case this isnt something that will ever happen, and I think you know that.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  2. Bobokin Augur

I most cases, that is doubtful. The effect would be to offer more viable choices to a new player.
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL no you want to force people to have and choose LESS options. It is useless and futile to try and create an environment that forces folks to join your guild.
    Shanarias likes this.
  4. Bamboompow Augur

This kind of commentary doesn't need to be here. We play this game to escape that garbage, in spite of whatever political leanings are perceived to be shared by the majority of players of this game. Keep that s*** to yourself. Don't drag that flavor divisiveness into our own flavor of divisiveness. Its bad enough that it has manifested itself into almost every other facet of life.
  5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This is what happens in a lot of free to play games with guild member caps. They form multiple guilds and move people around in those guilds based on their skill and power in the game.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Blackhand New Member

More viable guilds would create more options. While that one guild would be less of an option, many other guilds would become new options.

Uber guilds disrupt market forces just like in any other economy.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No.

There are all sorts of viable guilds out there. At least on my server. So not sure what you are talking about. Maybe you are on a low pop server and that is your problem.
  8. Blackhand New Member

Coming from the viewpoint of the uber guild?

Markets and economics do not change because this is a game rather than the real world. In fact, there are even greater restrictions inside the game because new guilds often don't have the zone port clickies that old ones do.

I understand that you want to have the largest super guild in Everquest, but one has to ask if that is actually good for the game environment as a whole - not just good for you.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually I do no WANT to have the largest guild. I simply have a large casual guild. It happens through good guild management and style that people like and are drawn to.

And I have news for you. I gain zero benefits from running my guild except the enjoyment of creating an environment where my people can enjoy playing the game together. No power trips. Nothing But feel free to explain to me how running a large successful guild benefits me personally. Fire away. :)

I also have a very old guild coming up on 21 years old. I guess we should penalize old guilds. Force them to end after a couple years? Foolishness.

And now you are whining about port clickies.. *sighs* Pay someone who has them to join your guild temporarily and place the port item then leave your guild. Less complaining and more work on having a successful guild assuming you run or are in one.

Lets say there are 5 sizes of guilds 1 being the smallest and 5 the largest size.

Wah wah 5's are too large make a rule limiting them to size 4.

Wah wah 5's are too large make a rule limiting them to size 3

Wah wah 4'sd are too large make a rule limiting them to size 2

Wah wah 2's are too large make a rule limiting them to size 1

Wah wah the game has shut down.
    Veritas likes this.
  10. Blackhand New Member

Why don't you read that back to yourself and pretend it wasn't you who said it. No power trips or self-righteousness at all. Move along, move along.

Yes, that is foolishness. It is also a straw man argument. No one said old guild should be forced to shut down.

Old guilds are being forced to basically shut down through market economics though. That is alright with you because it has a positive effect on your guild.

Yeah, that is exactly what the OP is asking. That is a bit hyperbolic; wouldn't you say?
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

12. Bobokin Augur

How large is too large meant at what level do numbers alone cause larger guilds to just keep growing and smaller guilds to lose viability.

Is it 2,000? 3,000? 5,000?

Guilds with 200 or 300 characters have a hell of time recruiting against uber guilds, and it isn't because the larger guilds are just friendlier.
  13. Elyssanda Bardbrain

let's be honest, most large guilds are really like less than 100 live people, with a LOT of boxes, and retired accounts.
    so if you have an guild with 100 active people, be happy.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I don't understand the silliness of this thread. Guilds that are around for years and do a good job of attracting and "retaining" members should be lauded not pointed at as being a problem.

Some folks with small guilds are complaining they are having problems becoming large guilds. Completely fine to be unhappy you can't increase the size of your guild easily. Completely wrong to blame successful guilds.

In the case of my guild I started it in Dec 99. I have run it without breaks since that time. And I have stuck to the type of guild environment that I like and it pays off.

Of course having 130 toons online today means nothing compared to the hayday when we would have 100 toons online and most were not boxes. The game has changed folks. Even large guilds are not nearly as large as they used to be (ignore roster numbers they don't count only online numbers make a difference). Guilds that had 50 active people years ago have 20 active people now.

The other thing is most people don't want to jump guilds. Once someone is in a guild for a period time they are much less likely to move guilds. We generally only get folks leaving when they are going to a raid guild. The only people out there that you can hope to recruit are returning players or occasionally someone who decides to leave their dead guild. As far as recruits go we get next to no players from other active casual guilds. Most of our new people are returning players. And we get most of those as referrals from others on the server. Almost 21 years of building a good guild rep pays off over time.

My guild has been on the large size for many years back when there were many large guilds and many larger then ours. Those guilds are all gone and we are still here. Wasn't numbers that did that.
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

And people should ignore roster size completely. Even toons online only tells a partial story due to boxes but for how active a guild is its the easiest metric to use.

If people ask how active my guild is I will give them online numbers but I always tell this test us out if they aren't sure. See what it is like in the guild before committing. That strat works out well for us.
  16. seber Augur

I still like old guild hail better
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Correct it isn't just about large guilds being friendlier. BUT it is fair to ask how they got large in the first place. And the thing is most people returning to the game have no idea on the comparative size of guilds.

I had a successful guild when there were tons of successful guilds. Still are on Xegony. Most are raid guilds but we have a lot of active guilds. There were many guilds larger then ours. Many. We are still here and they are all gone. Numbers aren't the answer to that. A number of guilds on Xegony have been around a long time and many have not been the largest guilds all of that time. Some guilds are large simply because they have done a better job at retaining folks.

But there is on thing I can agree with you on completely if everything is the same between a large guild and a small guild. Exactly as friendly, exactly the same leadership styles, all things the same except for numbers that yes a larger guild has an advantage over a smaller guild as more folks want more people to group with over folks who enjoy a more cozy smaller type guild. This is I don't see this as a problem but just as a fact of life. A raid geared person can better complete content then a group geared one. Just a fact of life.
  18. Duder Augur

Did you read any of this thread? It has nothing to do with guild halls.
  19. Celephane Augur

I like turtles
    Barraind and Duder like this.
  20. Bobokin Augur

What the?

Someone get that cat outta here!
    Duder likes this.