Guild members talking about the "new" TLP server last night

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Stagentti Augur

You're throwing out all these rosey scenarios which just aren't the norm or are few and far between to downplay the struggle of catching up.

"A bit painful at times". Lol come on.

"Those zerkers will need groups or powerlevels". Ya...generally see the latter A LOT more in my experience or folks established on the server have premade groups ready to go. No one wants to slow roll up their toon by randomly LFG.

I'm glad you help others out. But again - that is nowhere near an even minor form of leveling. You cannot argue finding a situation like that is more than ultra rare.

Plus you are power leveling. Aka going fast. Aka blowing past where you could help others as fast as possible.

Mercs help but the experience molo'ing is still really slow.

Could they add mercs earlier? Sure. But they aren't. So point is moot.

"If you make friends": generally done by grouping and we addressed that.

"Come back to join friends" - means you aren't starting fresh. You're coming back to immediately having help.

"It can't be that hard to catch up if you really want to" and there we have it. Boot straps. All those people who struggle to catch up just don't want it enough!

"I'll say this the game is better post PoP but too many people are unwilling to experience it for whatever reason because of bad memories from their live in era days of playing the content where the game was a lot more unforgiving."

Or maybe you just don't know what it is like to roll up on a server deep into expacs brand new not knowing anyone.

Nah...all these people just aren't trying enough!
  2. Beep Elder

Why you blamin WoW, it came out 2 years after PoP. Even GoD came out almost a year before WoW. Silly billy.
  3. Stagentti Augur

I'm going to blow your mind here but...maybe, just maybe, there's a lot of people who don't agree with you.
  4. Tymeless Augur

And you are addressing this thread as someone starting fresh. This thread is mainly addressing the fact that people that are already established on servers jumping ship to repeat the content they just did over and over and over again. Returning to a server in which you probably already have friends with a character that already has some raid gear and some cash etc isn't as hard as you all make it out to be. Its just a matter of spending a little time catching up. It never has and never should happen overnight. Could it be made easier sure. The truth of the matter is this people that are jumping ship and complaining about the Post PoP game don't even know what they are missing they are just discounting it because they quit during these eras for valid reasons during the live days that have long since been addressed by later expansions. Sure if you jump ship for a year or more its going to be hard to catch up. However if they would give it a chance they might be pleasantly surprised in what they find out about the game instead of leaving as soon as PoP is done.
  5. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

WON'T DBG THINK ABOUT POOR RISIKO. LIKE NOBODY ELSE DESERVES A NEW SERVER. THEY SHOULD ONLY BE ALLOWED TO STAY ON RISIKO'S CURRENT SERVER. IT'S SO UNFAIR TO RISIKO THAT OTHER PEOPLE DON'T WANT THE SAME THING AS HIM. PLEASE DPG STOP MAKING SERVERS FOR OTHER PEOPLE AND MAKING MONEY. RISIKO WANTS TO KEEP PLAYING ON HIS CURRENT SERVER WITH THE EXACT SAME PEOPLE.
  6. That0neguy Augur

But no one can play with Risiko because he and his "brother" constantly truebox themselves and get disconnected by the server.
  7. Risiko Augur

It used to be much more strict on the timing. I assumed that was the way they ninja fixed it with out saying anything was by changing the time between clicks to trigger truebox.

There are things that will still trigger a false positive with the truebox system to this day, but for the most part they have made it less restrictive than it was back on Phinigel right after the Luclin expansion. They turned all the nobs to 9000 for some reason back then.

One sure fire way to trigger a false positive truebox violation on your computer is to go in to your key bindings IN EVERQUEST (that's right... built in Everquest functionality can cause false positives) and setup one of your keys to fire off multiple different hotbar buttons. I was doing this to do things like forage every time I pressed the left arrow to move. If my brother and I were in game at the same time on the same server in the same house and I hit the left arrow, it would fire off a truebox violation and send me to desktop. If my brother was not playing the game on his computer at the same time I was doing this, then it wouldn't do it.

Two things to gather from this is that 1) the truebox code takes in to account how many connections it detects from your household and applies it ONLY if it believes there is more than one account playing at the time, and 2) the truebox code is specifically looking for more than one action being requested at the same time. In my case, I was requesting my character right left and requesting a forage check at the same time. That and the fact that my brother was playing at the same time on his computer caused a false positive and kicked us out of the game for truebox violation.

Now, this is not what was happening back on Phinigel mind you. On Phinigel during Luclin era, just the fact of being online at the same time, in the same household, and using abilities at relatively the same time on two different computers would trigger a truebox violation. It was horribly broken.
  8. Risiko Augur

You are fake news.

Fact #1: I do have a brother.
    Fact #2: My brother and I play Everquest together, and have done so for nearly 20 years.
    Fact #3: There was a false positive truebox bug introduced back on the Phinigel server shortly after the Shadows of Luclin expansion was unlocked.
    Fact #4: The bug did not affect everyone the same. It was highly convoluted and the fact that it was not the same for everyone lead to people LIKE YOU pushing false narratives to smear those people that were affects by the bug... why... nobody knows... maybe you're just a hateful person...
    Fact #5: They fixed the bug more than a year later

But, then you are that one guy that likes to come in the forums and stir up stuff all the time. I think they have a word for that.
    Brawl likes this.
  9. Dahaman Augur

There are MANY tricks that have been added to help to catch up, even solo.

- Gates boosts XP (20% on Coirnav)
    - DON grants vet reward Lesson
    - DODH boosts XP (doubled Gates XP rate on Coirnav)
    - DODH adds autogrant up to Luclin (which is most of the AAs available up to level 59)
    - TSS boosts XP (to live server rates, a significant boost over DODH)
    - TSS adds autogrant up to POP

That is just the advertised XP boosts. There is an even greater underlying boost that always goes unsaid. The Bazaar gets loaded with leveling gear.

Spend 1 Krono and twink it up:

- Fungus Tunic
    - Spiked Seahorse Belt
    - GOOD weapon and keep upgrading it
    - haste, regen, and healing potions

These alone will power level yourself solo at a really fast clip, even for a rogue for a good while. However, soloing a rogue to "catch up" is akin to shooting yourself in the foot and then attempting to run a marathon. Play a character that excels at the solo game a little bit better for best results. There are plenty to choose from.

For a caster, invest into Mana Regen items, especially potions. Getting +10 mana regen at level 30 isn't hard and that makes things a LOT faster. One 3 hr KEI is a godsend.

* Expansions typically open up better and better leveling zones. You can start to pick and choose your path a bit more for a bit more XP optimization.

* I personally suggest collecting tradeskill mats that are selling as you XP. This will build out your characters wealth to keep buying those Bazaar upgrades.

* With all characters starting DODH (= Coirnav), you can pretty much ignore having to AA at all until level 61. Level 61 is high enough to join end game. Join a guild at that point or just keep on plowing.

* And starting TSS, the whole solo game takes on a whole new meaning. There is a TON of content available to do instead of straight up grinding. Amazing!

But above all, be realistic when defining what it means to "catch up". If you are defining "catch up" as BIS gear, MAX level, and MAX AAs, then you are doomed to failure. Define "catch up" as getting to a gear, level, and AA count to join a guild, or join a group, or raid with a lesser guild... and your goal is much more achievable and far, far quicker.
    Risiko and Tymeless like this.
  10. That0neguy Augur

Would this be considered fake news or a trumpian fact?
  11. Risiko Augur

The bug that affected us was fixed, so I'm going to go with fact. I already told you above how you can still trigger a false positive, but that's not the same thing as getting kicked out of the game every time you play.
  12. That0neguy Augur

So you and your brother on Phinny both spammed the 1 key and got kicked.
    Now on XYZ server you both spam the 1 key and get kicked.
    Yep, they totally fixed people trueboxing themselves and its totally different than it was on Phinny.
  13. Numiko Augur

Truebox still kicks people off, almost every raid we have someones box or main will get kicked off the server .. its not "fixed"
  14. Risiko Augur

Your ability to make up crap and post it as truth is astounding.

No. We didn't spam the 1 key. I would hit a key and he would hit a key. It didn't matter what key we pressed. They didn't have to be the same key. It's pretty normal game play for two people in a group to be firing off spells and abilities when a mob comes in to camp, but I am sure you will find a way to distort that as well. I suppose we were supposed to just sit there and stare at the mobs until they fell over dead out of boredom.
  15. Ahze Elder

Truebox happens when you hit the keys too fast. One of the practiced skills of 6 boxing properly is timing your inputs. I have gone to extreme lengths to try to mitigate this problem. By which I mean, none of my 6 machines share the same hotkey bindings, I have shifted them all in the EQ UI, so when I hit 2 on my 10 key pad what EQ sees is Control Alt 0, and the next machine, i hit 2 on keypad and eq sees Alt Shift 9, the pattern does not repeat. In addition to this unsuccessful measure, I do not use the same physical key for the assist and go macro on each box. It is 1, then 2, etc. None of this prevents truebox. The only consistent cure I have found is keeping my input rate across the machines to a measured pace. It is very easy to go too fast and then your whole set gets dumped, not just the offending 2 or 3 machines. I could very easily see this effecting two people playing on the same LAN.
  16. Hateseeker Augur

I'll never play another slow unlock slow xp server again, so from a certain point of view, I am sick of that cycle too.

But I hope in 6-8 months there is a selo 2.0 with all trade loot and double loots off every drop. A new cycle of that kind of server, I can get behind.
  17. Jontrann Augur

2 (or more) tlp servers coming in a few months, Risiko mind gonna be blown trying to decide where to go, even after he makes his annual "i'm not leaving mangler and ill never play on another tlp again" post.
  18. Accipiter Old Timer

Hmmm... I'm not sure they actually fixed anything. They didn't for me, anyway.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

The end result of that is two different IP addresses... sort of like what a VPN gives you.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

It's worse than that for some of us. Here's the video Risiko references. Skip ahead to 9:50 or so to see the first disconnect. The second disconnect happens right at the end. The first 10 minutes show that there is no button spamming, no cheating, etc. It's there for context.
    Risiko likes this.