Guess TBL class features: Mage (game, silly)

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Oct 15, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

Can you see the number of charges on Paradox? *crosses fingers*
  2. IblisTheMage Augur

If they make the Dicho upgrade really really well, they could shift dps towards pet based damage, which could be nice.

Maybe they could make it affect all pets...

I wonder if TMB ranks will still count, I guess not since it is a new spell entirely, presumably. (Could be new ranks for the old one, I guess, if they make a rank 4 and 5... nah...)

A nice change would be if mages could stack up Alliances, gaining 110% for each mage stacking up, adding needed spells, and adding time. So a quintdouble Alliance fulmination would do 5.5 x a single fulmination.... big badaboum...
  3. Brohg Augur

It could well be that only the simple upgrades to old spells have been added that way, and that new effects are still en route. I see that for other classes also, only upgrades (mostly to EoK things, but yes also Dichos) are there.
  4. Brohg Augur

It is, as yet, a straight line upgrade. All effects the same, just a little more HoT, a little higher procs
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  5. Piemastaj Augur

The problem is our Dicho is 1 of the worst Dichos in the game, because they did not add a proper duration to it. Even after multiple PMs about it.

I understand if your doing it for 1 class all of them get it, but the spell is utterly trash and it appears to remain the same currently with the new version. Literally a waste of time to give us another 1.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  6. Sancus Augur

Yeah, every class is in the same boat. AA's are definitely coming, and it does look like they've gone up to SPA 520 in testing spells so I imagine some new abilities will come from those.

My point about tears was moreso related to the fact that three years of negative feedback on Dichotomic Companion didn't get it a single change. All of the Dicho's are just copy/past upgrades, so that isn't specific to Mages (just most of the other Dicho's are decent). It's only a 10.25% upgrade from max rank -> max rank, though, so it honestly isn't that large a change for other classes.

Usually if a copy/paste upgrade gets put in, it doesn't get changed. I'm hopeful this will break precedent, but I think the balance of probabilities is the Dichos are what they are.
    Brohg likes this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

Noooooooooooooooo

*shakes fist at the sky*

Whyyyyyyuahuahhhuahhhhhsnifflesniffle
    Sancus likes this.
  8. Sancus Augur

Unfortunately, no. The information is limited to what's in the spells_us and dbstr_us files, and even with those we're limited by what parsers can decipher (we don't know, for example, the functionality of SPAs up to 520). Items aren't in either of those, and neither are passive AAs really. AA descriptions show up in the dbstr_us file, but it's far less organized than the spells_us file and is a PITA to sift through.
    IblisTheMage likes this.
  9. IblisTheMage Augur

Could it qualify as not only the worst Dicho, but as the worst spell?

Are there other damage dealing spells with a worse damage/mana ratio, for example?
  10. Sancus Augur

No, the worst spell is Coronal Orb. The item wasn't put in for a few weeks of TBM Beta, and everyone thought it was going to be a Blazing Orb upgrade.

I still have traumatic flashbacks to TBM when I see that spell to the point that thinking about it decreases my DPS.
    Tucoh and IblisTheMage like this.
  11. segap Augur

Did any class other than Zerkers think that upgrading Dicho spells would be a good idea? Decisions like this just re-enforce the impression that the dev team doesn't really understand how things actually work.
    Spellfire and Sancus like this.
  12. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

[IMG]

As the great Kirk Van Houten once heard it said prior to borrowing a feeling....Crackers, Ho!

SK Dicho is very good, so there’s at least 1 non zerk class that won’t be annoyed at them being continued.

Whether it’s a good idea or not is another story...
  13. Ibadan Kun'Tirel Augur

Ew. Hope we get some new spells then because that is just sad.
  14. Piemastaj Augur

Based on previous expansions, I would not hold your breath.
    Ibadan Kun'Tirel likes this.
  15. Rickate Augur

16. kizant Augur

New damage focus on armor should give you at least 2.5%. Almost there.
  17. Sancus Augur

18. Brohg Augur

Shm, Dru, Enc, Nec, War, Mnk, Rog, Ber, SK, Rng, Bst all very very good to the point of not being used on-cooldown only in odd scenarios.

Cle, Pal, Wiz each powerful, but a touch more situational in deployment

Brd is super solid - but kinda uniquely, due to limited recovery options for the brd class, the resource cost reallly comes into play in evaluating its use

Magician, only magician, is bad, as far as I can tell.
  19. Rickate Augur

Not much in TBS beta either actually, Prathun posts on Plane of Fear in the Plane of Hate thread:

Anyone level 75 or higher can get the level-scaling Heroic Adventure from Amalissa Dawntender. The minimum players needed to request it is 1. Up to 54 people can be part of the task. Mercenaries are allowed - they may not be yet, but they will be soon.

What does this look like for groupers?
    Get the task and kill the NPCs for class-based upgradable armor drops. Be careful not to aggro Cazic-Thule!

What does this look like for raiders?
    Get the task, clear the zone, tackle the raids. Clearing the zone is an important step, because the raids are invulnerable until and unless much of the zone has been cleared in that same DZ.

What if people have lockouts?
    The NPCs associated with the lockouts will not spawn. This might be desirable, if, for instance, you didn't want any spinechiller spiders to spawn because you don't need their drops. However, having a lockout on everything except the raids will mean that killing the raids is not possible.

The class-based drops disappeared, Draco is vastly more of an aggro issue than CT. I guess it was initially like the original Planes and spinechiller spiders would drop one class of armor. Prathun then replies to Iila who comments on lockouts "THIS MAKES NO F'ING SENSE":

Do you have any suggestions on how to address this that will take an hour or less to implement?

Various people point out that shorter trash lockouts would enable guilds to re-attempt the raid the following day and allow people to explore the zones as group content with characters that were raiding the zone but nearly 3 years later Prathun hasn't allocated the hour and/or doesn't consider it a viable solution for people to be able to kill Planar named every 6 hours.

The only Dev post in the Items section is by Holly Windstalker on the Pridewing Mount:

Apologies. Stats will be upgraded on the mount to those listed on the Web site for the expansion with an update on Friday.

Mage AA thread is Piemastaj making this post, Dzarn replying "Removed Heavy Rain." and then a lot of discussion about Rains and no more reply from Dzarn:

You do realize that giving Rains a twincast mod still makes them garbage because of the 40% cap on their crit chance, right?
    Like idk, do you guys even consider previous changes before implementing this stuff?
    It would have made sense, and actually been viable pre-nerf. Right now it brings up the Rain nerf changes again and shows you wasted time on an AA line that could have gone to maybe making our Spears better.
    Pretty much speechless now, and that is a difficult thing to do.
  20. segap Augur

I was being a bit sarcastic. Some people just lack a humor gene.

There is a huge discrepancy between the various dichos though. While some are always used on cooldown, it doesn't mean they're great. It just means people use them rather than leave dps on the table. Rogue one is just a blip in my overall dps. If I forget to click it, my parses barely change. I use it because it eeks out every last bit. I can't recall the last time I saw a bard use their dicho post nerf.

So, Zerker, Beast, SK, War, Shaman are all solid ones. Even without upgrades. Beyond those, you start seeing diminishing value all the way down to Mage. Upgrading them just perpetuates the imbalance that exists. Creating something new on the same timer to try to switch up the balance issues would have been better. Some may have stuck to the existing ones while others would use the new.