Group Game: NPC'S that mezz

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Daedly, May 3, 2019.

1. Daedly Augur

So, I farmed Tyrant of Fire many times now with no issues, never mezzed one time. However, now I am taking my B-Team in there and I am finding my SK getting mezzed fairly frequently. Which leads to a wipe, not a deal breaker for the mission, but quite frustrating when it comes to completion time.

So, looking for a little advice from you folks who play a tank full time. SK or otherwise. When you are the only tank in your group, how are you guys handling NPC'S that can mezz you?

I have made the chanter NPC my first target, but even then they get mezz off at times. I have considered trying to dot myself, or trying to get that old potion that was some kind of beneficial spell but would apply a dot to you when you used it. I can't remember the name, but I used to use all the time back in the early 2000's on my necro when I was playing in the arena.

Anyways, any tips would be appreciated.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Dot yourself with a low-ish level dot. IIRC a Crimson potion generally won’t out damage your natural regen. You want a dot weak enough not to hurt too badly but strong enough to out damage your base buffed regen. Level 70ish stuff should be fine.

I was doing this farming that stupid type5 agi aug solo in GMM recently. The phs would chain mez me over and over and was irritating af.

It’s a dumb mechanic.
  3. Vestra_Cazic New Member

Fear fruit use to be a good way to break mez on yourself, haven't used it in a long time so not sure if it still works.
    If your getting mez'd it should be up to the group to handle it somehow. For me in the mission your talking about My enchanter tends to mez them before they mez us and if you do happen to get mez'd I believe radiant cure will remove the one in this mission
  4. Drogba Augur

I make triggers for when mobs are attempting to cast a mez, or when a mez lands, so I can radiant cure/purify it. Sometimes I share these triggers with a healer if i'm concerned about mez cures.

Some mobs that mez seem to pick a random target/s, so i pop swarm pets/pet clickies to reduce the odds of me being that target.

Dotting yourself helps break you from mez early. But you need to make sure that the damage being done by the dot is stronger than your health regeneration for it to work.

More things that you could try to do:

You can probably harm shield the moment that the mob attempts to cast mez if you bind it to a key and are fast (then click DA off almost immediatly after).

You could decide in advance to run discs (mitigation, heal activated AA's) on your own pet with him set to taunt to mitigate some of the carnage for when you get mezzed too (still need a cure).

You can try to line up a nice long flat area to hate step away when the casting message begins. then turn 180 and jetpack clicky back in range (getting out of cast range, then returning)
  5. Drogba Augur

Fear Fruit Seed is great, but it's only 500 damage, and just looking at my natural regen right now in the inventory stat screen, my combat regen is 600+. So you would need to click off some buffs that have hp regen components if yours is too high also.

You can cast your own spell dots on yourself, but we tend to resist them a fair bit. The best dots to cast on yourself are probably 'bond' (because it heals you, nullifying the negative impact of dotting yourself. Or our corruption based dots (duplicitous blight line) because you're less likely to resist them.

If using mercs, you may have to add some of their cure spells to your blocked buffs list, because they'll try to cure these.

Examples of some mez triggers in GINA (each spell has its own name, and can have different text when a player is mezzed):

Mob casting mez, you have 1-2 seconds to react.
    {s} begins casting Slumber
    {s} begins casting Baffling Rainbow
    {s} begins casting Bewilder
    {s} begins casting Chaotic Bewildering
    {s} begins casting Chaotic Delusion

soandso was mezzed:
    {c} stares idly at the wall.
    {c} is enthralled by rainbows.
    {c} is completely confounded.
  6. Drogba Augur

You could turn off /autoskill bash and manually press when they give the cast messages. not sure what your % chance of landing a stun is though.
  7. Qbert Gallifreyan

I basically just skip most named that mez if they do it frequently. I have one named left in Empyr that mezzes AND summons pets, and I just can't take that combo.

I can't cast dots on myself (paladin), and even if I could, up to six seconds is too long anyways. The rest of my group is dead within 3 seconds of me being mezzed most of the time.
  8. shiftie Augur

Sanctification, purify and a good burn are your friend, also helps to preload hop, gol so when you do get messed there is extra healing on the party.
  9. Qbert Gallifreyan

Sure, that's all well and good, but it takes me about 6 minutes to kill a TBL named, so that doesn't really work for me when it mezzes over and over and over and over.
  10. Koryu Professional Roadkill

NPCs that mez usually mez players based on the order in which they entered the aggro list. So if players engage the mezzer in order of Puller, Debuffer (on incoming), Tank, DPS, DPS, then Healer, the mob will mez players in that order regardless of who is highest on the aggro list. Remember that being mezzed removes you from the aggro list entirely, so don't expect those early on the engage order to get re-mezzed.
    As a Warrior, I have to use this strategy to overcome mezzers. Warriors do not have a self Cure-All like other classes, and recent mezzes, like Baffling Rainbow, ignore the Radiant Cure that my boxed Shaman would normally provide.
    Mobs that can mez are absolutely awful; avoid when possible, and bring overwhelming force (people or damage) if you have to deal with them.
    Brohg likes this.
  11. Daedly Augur

Appreciate the responses, thank you. I will play around with things a bit.
    eepok likes this.
  12. Chaosflux Augur

This may not be true anymore I am not sure but traditionally you could only bash/slam stun things even con or lower.
  13. Tucoh Augur

I'm not sure which mobs this works on, but I've found that mobs mez the first mob on their aggro list, so I always pull mezzing mobs with my bard.
  14. Drogba Augur

Interesting, though it doesn't feel like this is happening in a lot of cases for me. Unless after the first cast is resisted, their second cast is on the next player or something like that?

Maybe my memory of these situations is a bit of a blur, but i doubt it, i'm nearly always the first person on hatelist when i group. Last time I was in Alashai with the mez mobs in the water area, my group was getting mezzed a lot more than I was (I was puller+tank). Maybe they were casting AE mezzes though.

I suppose it wouldn't be hard to head down there and test it later to see if there's a pattern.
  15. Repthor Augur

If you have a good idea on who gonna be second on aggro and your group is fairly close together you van break your self out of mezz one time every so often, by cleaver use of game mecanics. By haveing a hotkey to /shield xyz and as soon as that person takes dmg it will break the mezz on you. Its pretty ghetto but it works if you know who normaly is second most hated and is in line to get aggro when you get mezzed
    Koryu and Thunderkiks like this.
  16. Livvy_CT Elder

I very rarely get mezzed, but if I do, I purify myself or radiant cure on my shaman
  17. Allayna Augur

As an SK in that mission, Tyrant of Fire, load your pet and leave pet taunt on.

If you have any real CC, just mez it and kill it last.
  18. Transporter Lorekeeper

TBL implemented Mezz etc to keep people from swarming like they do in previous expansions. Thank the cry babies who don't know how to swarm for that hehe