Ground Spawns for Quests

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rexa, Feb 28, 2021.

1. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I've been traveling back in time to do some quests that I missed out on during a several year hiatus and also revisiting some for alts. I used to play with pixel shaders on but at some point in the last year I decided to turn them off. Aesthetically, they make the game incredibly dark and dreary for me (if I wanted to play a horror mmorpg then I'd leave them on 24/7 for that type of ambience).

Anywho... depending on what quest I'm doing, I seem to be forced to toggle them on (and in others... off) just to be able to find ground spawns for quests. One glaring example of this is doing the quest in Tainted Karana to get the etherner ash ground spawn. I was following a map on eqresource to go find them in the caves. I sat around forever then decided to explore the rest of the cave thinking maybe they are just in random spots. It then dawned upon me (since I did this quest before on another character before with pixel shaders on) that I needed to toggle it back on. Sure enough, I then saw the ash. It wasn't that it was not highly visible... The ash was entirely invisible. There are other examples I can give like Lceanium where I need to turn them back on.

The graphics and options for EQ are very outdated, but I am not advocating some type of re-invention. However, I am suggesting that groundspawns for quests be made far more visible. Perhaps with some type of aura not quite as bright as collections, but just something to not force people to have to play around with their display options.
    Jumbur and Szilent like this.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Those ash in Tainted Karana are very hard to find no matter what your settings. I use pixel off and could still find them using the spawn location map on Alla which shows it in much better detail than the one in EQ Resource.

There are just some ground spawns that are very hard to find which is part of the game. The excitement of trying to find something while nearby enemies are breathing down your neck!

One example of when the devs did change ground spawns is the Evergreen Leaves. Those were hard to find being small green leaves on the green grass! So the dev's listened and those leaves are now half the size of an elf and a lighter green....kinda like the playskool toys babies use.

Not saying it doesn't need an update but also don't see any need to focus on upgrading things like this when there are walk thrus and maps to help and other issues that need it more.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

I agree with the OP. I never had to mess with pixel shaders for years playing this game but now some zones are so dark you have no choice but to turn off the 2.0 shader. And since they broke the Gamma adjustment you frequently have to play with a horrible picture.

And of course there is NEVER any real guidance from the company.
    Andarriel and KrakenReality like this.
  4. Zynt Augur

Is this why I can never find the misty thicket acorn ground spawns? Do I need to turn pixel shaders on for those?
    Andarriel likes this.
  5. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I feel like those tradeskills items are on the same boat as Yew Leaves. I think they intentionally back in the day wanted people to struggle a little bit to find them on the floor, but the pixel shader thing had to have made it worse over time for those items as well. I would hope they at least fix this stuff for items involved in an actual task assigned. Hoping the devs can add a little code, sparkle or pizzazz to these items to make it more convenient for us folks :)
    Metanis likes this.