Grod's Law and Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by jiri_, Jan 24, 2016.

1. jiri_ Augur

I should note up-front that this is not intended to pit players of particular classes against one another, and I would ask pretty please that people not do that.

-

So Grod's Law was laid out by Giant In The Playground poster Grod_The_Giant:

Over the years, Verant/SOE/DBG has done a not-insignificant amount of improving in this area. Remember staring at your spellbook to regain mana, an activity so tedious that a Tetris knockoff was added to make it bearable? Or tradeskills, pre-revamp?
    Still, Everquest is an old game. It has lots of bloat. What existing mechanics are simply too annoying to use? What could be made more accessible and more useful through simplification? How would you approach a quality of life patch in these areas, and how would you prioritize?
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Boats.

Never again should we have to wait for a boat. If you want the "flavor" of a boat, then have the boat always at the dock and as soon as you get on it or click it, it sends you to the next zone.

Or even better, keep the boats for the flavor and add translocator NPCs on the docks that do the exact same thing without the delay of waiting for the boat and riding it.

This way, those that want the "fun" of boat riding get to keep using it while those who are tired of making their group wait forever for them to arrive can just get there without making people sit around doing nothing.
    Caemien and Eaiana like this.
  3. Koryu Professional Roadkill

I think what you're looking for is the list of suggestions on [Fanra's site] or the feature and improvement requests at the [DGC Issue Tracker]. We've even tried collecting suggestions [here] on this very forum instead of third party sites, although it gets lost once it is no longer bumped.
  4. Random_Enchanter Augur

Existing mechanic that is bad, unbalanced, and annoying to use:
    Multiple classes that can and can not do what other classes can

How to make it more accessible and useful through simplification?
    Roll all classes into one. Allow each player to differentiate play style based upon the gear choices and abilities being used.

How would i approach this?
    Slowly over the course of two, maybe three mini expansions. It would be start off with each of the primary class types (Int caster, Wis caster, Melee hybrid, Melee) gaining the ability to effectively switch between each other class in a specialized 're-purpose' skill area that would be headed by NPC 'Malady A'Scrounges'* and yes, this NPC would be a porpoise. This would allow your Mage to re-porpoise into an effective wizzy or a necro, your druid to play as a cleric or shm, your SK to lose the 'Un' in there unholy.
    Then in the next mini-expansion or so you cross the melee hybrid with pure melee and your Int with your Wis casters.Third mini-expansion you allow the final cross to happen.
    Of coarse you have a player pay a fee/turn in a token (in game only, no micro transaction) to do so and you have them start at there current level with no AA, but save there AAs gained on the other 'class paths' for when they want to switch back.

PS: Illa, I hope this was worth the 30 seconds for you to read :p
    * anagram for "your class and game " done by a porpoise :rolleyes:
  5. Ducreux Augur

TLP servers should have offline traders and click-from-bag enabled from the very beginning. Both of these are quality of life changes. An argument can be made that restricting item clicks to topslots encourages players to choose between inventory slots (redundant with 40 slot bags sold by DBG) but punishes some classes more than others due to the amount of old clickies they need to maximize dps (IIRC necro have like 4-5 clicks by SoF).

Melee/Casting skill points. It's an old system that only serves as an annoyance in 2016 and a slight distraction for achievement hunters at this point. Powerleveling a character means they are going to be significantly behind on their skills due to the way exp gains are now and basically amount to a player AFK spamming level 1 spells or AFK meleeing a pet, neither of these are immersive. Give it a system like AA autogrant where the player automatically receives their skills upon reaching certain level thresholds, maybe with the exception of Specialization casting skills to prevent accidental leveling (though this is easily fixed with a ruby).
  6. Gundolin Augur

Holy cow I had forgotten all about that till you brought it up. That was a LONG time ago.
  7. Lily Augur

I'd like to see the personal bank display items alphabetically like the guild bank.
  8. jiri_ Augur

On a Live server, regular leveling is fast enough that even skills like Kick or your primary weapon skill won't keep up with your experience gain, assuming you're leveling at all efficiently.
    Khoza likes this.