Got bored of the game and grind, what do I do?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by asfasfasfasf, Oct 16, 2017.

1. asfasfasfasf Augur

So I levelled up to about 88. Done a lot of grinding, and done a lot of questing. I did some older content progression which was ok but nothing especially fun tbh. I also did my epic to 1.5 and most of 2.0. The thing is, I am bored now and thinking of playing other games but I don't want to just quit. In all this time I still haven't had a single group because there is just nobody around my level. I figured I could just grind Gribbles to level up to 100+ and maybe then I would find groups, but I did a lot of Gribbles and the exp isn't that fast and I got so bored doing the same thing over and over.

So what do I do? Just quit? Or maybe there is something else I could do in the game?
  2. Repthor Augur

your doing it right now , posting on the msg board
    gotwar likes this.
  3. kookoo Augur

find a guild? raid ? being in a guild help for grouping.

when I was playing one toon only , I had to take a break here and there due to getting bored with nothing left to do ( max xp , progression done , hunter done, ect ) .

then I decided to box ( 2 toons at 1st ) then 3 and now 4 .

I didn't take an EQ break since then.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Ryuda like this.
  4. Thraine Augur

5. Aurastrider Augur

The great thing about EQ is there are lots to do that don't involve just grinding and questing.

-Trade skills (yes dirty words in many circles) can be very rewarding once you are able to make things you need and can potentially make money on. You can also add into the mix farming specific items to increase your recipe knowledge in case you do the artisan prize ever.

-EQ economics is fun for several people. While at your level it might be hard to compete with other resellers if you do a little farming to get enough starter money you might enjoy this aspect of EQ. There is a lot of research and trial and error involved in doing this but some people enjoy the challenge and the potential rewards.

-As mentioned above try to find a more active guild. Ask around and see if any guilds are recruiting with players your level. Even if there are not any players around that level a family guild or a raid guild in need of numbers might be willing to PL you up. This really is the perfect time for this scenario considering a lot of people are maxed out and might be willing to drop a box to help you gain levels.

-Try different zones to level grind in. There are other HA's besides the gribbles. The bixie ones are not all the difficult and are a nice change of pace from gribble. At your level range zones from house of thule should be decent experience and imo are pretty fun.

-Boxing as mentioned will help you progress. If you have never tried boxing give it a try. A lot of people who have never boxed have opinions for one reason or another but in reality those opinions are based on something they have never tried. Its like trying to form an opinion on a type of food you have never consumed. You can tell yourself all day long you hate it when in reality if you tried it you might really enjoy it. If you are more interested in the group game with other people consider your box toons as a backup group. They are there to help you when no groups are available but can easily sit on the sideline if you get into a group.

-Keep the newbie channel open and be on the lookout for lower level toons lfg. You might consider helping to PL some of these people so you have someone to group with. This can be rewarding and frustrating depending on the individual. I would suggest talking to the individual first to see how commited they plan on being to the game and to their playing time. If they stick around this is the rewarding part but if they change playing times or quit this is the frustrating part.

-Housing is not even close to what real builder type games are but it can still be fun to decorate your house with items you have obtained throughout your travels. Some players have done amazing things with the limited housing options available making it even more impressive when someone comes up with a great design.

-Start on a new server. Maybe consider a TLP server if the group game is more important to you than current end game. I personally have no interest in these servers but I can see the appeal if you enjoy more of the social aspect than the overall content aspect of the game.

-Take a short break. Yes I know this might sound weird but some times we all need to just step away for a short period and evaluate things. Consider the aspects of EQ that you truly enjoy and what aspects you really dislike. Try to figure out how you can recreate the enjoyable experience while limiting the boring things. In the end this is a game and should be entertaining. While I hate to see players leave the game its probably worse to have people sticking around who don't actually enjoy the game.
  6. Garmr Augur

Phinigel
  7. Thrillho Augur

Find another bored player. Hopefully one that's higher level.

Plenty of folks who max out their toon go back and play through the content again with another toon, help a guild mate / friend out, achievements, missed items, hunters, etc. The trick is finding one of these people. Often, they'll be talking in General chat - offering task adds for missions, offering up rotting loot, etc. Sometimes they'll have a spot open in a group too and would take the opportunity to actually talk with someone (if they're moloing / boxing), or to flex their (look at how many I can take on at once! Look how fast I can kill!)

When I was leveling up my tear in Sarith (Shards Landing is another good spot), I was bored out of my mind. I was offering up free PLs to anyone 75+. I was there for 2 weeks straight and killed thousands of mobs. Having other people in the group helped keep me (somewhat) sane. I still get messages from some of the people I PLed just to shoot the .

When I was doing Hunters for previous expansions, I offered up nearly every drop to General. People got to know me and had regulars ask me if they could join in. I welcomed the company again, and they got to get some gear, xp, and see new content. For current-content, I've asked people who rot gear to General if I can join in, usually just for the hunters checkmark. Mercenaries are good in a pinch for a missing class, but their DPS is terrible. Something like 29-35k DPS, IIRC. Easy to beat that with a real toon, even one that's lower level.

If I see someone doing older content when I'm doing older content (for an alt or a friend's alt), I've grouped with them to help them out (or to just take their spot and not be a jerk about it). The trick here is to actually be in the zone working the content. I wouldn't invite you to join me on Bixie if you're grinding out Gribbles - I wouldn't know to invite you!

The one thing I'd caution when grouping with a higher level is you're probably going to die. Try not to be a burden. While I welcomed people to join me in Sarith, I was there for a reason and having to collect someone's corpse was adding time.

Gribbles... Stay away from Gribbles if you're looking to alleviate your boredom.

Which server are you on? Some are more alive than others.
    Calinae and Wizlard like this.
  8. Jalelorf Augur

I would like to be first to say....

Can I have your stuff? ;)

But sadly you have not been through the grinder as long as a whole lot of us so your stuff isn't that good. I'm actually surprised you didn't get a bunch of stupid replies. People actually thought about it before posting.
  9. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Ive been there, getting close again as we wait for the expac.

Time to play alts, do different old quests, tradeskills, look up some achievements fornpast content and knock it out. Even easy stuff like enter every old zone for the journey man compass.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  10. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

EQ does a terrible job of keeping players in your position. Until you reach level 100+, you won't likely find any useful groups. You are in a "dead zone" when it comes to leveling up right now, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you left. I honestly don't know how new players can stay interested long enough to get to the "fun" part of the game :(

You should definitely get social - look for a guild with more people in it, talk in /general, etc. Without that interaction, I doubt you will stay with EQ.

I strongly recommend boxing, for when you can't find a group (which is most of the time).

New expansions bring back lots of players and groups for a few months, but unless you are level 100+ (maybe even 105+, we don't know yet), you won't be able to play in the expansion.

You don't mention your server, but consider moving to one of the more populated ones. That is hard right now, since most of the live servers are too sparsely populated (they really need to be merged) and 99% of the active players on live are level 105 or else they are painfully casual.

You could try a TLP server (more populated), but you would be repeating yourself at a much slower pace (you are already a higher level and likely have a more powerful character than anybody on a TLP server), and the TLP playerbase and game is stuck in a past that never existed :)
  11. Treiln Augur

In my opinion...85-95 is the slow grind that makes you wanna beat your head against the keyboard.

As some have said, joining a guild is probably your best bet. In my guild, I do it, my friends do it, everyone does it...but we take on lower levels and run tbem through EoK with us for awhile.

Also mentioned was boxing. Playing just one toon is...not hard, per se, but it's mind numbingly slow when groups aren't available. Boxing allows you to make your own 2-4 man group. Allows you to do more, and at a much faster rate. And for me, takes some of the boredom out of things (I die a lot due to testing my limits).

Make alts. People hate it, but I love the 1-70 levels. And I like trying different classes.
  12. Wizlard Augur

Just a reminder to folks who disagreed about increasing heroic character levels. This is why. I'm not saying OP was a heroic character, but it's easy to see that players don't like grinding alone endlessly.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  13. Ryuda Journeyman

Fun is all about Dopamine in the solo game. That means that something which gives the feeling of success needs to be done. And it should not be always the same. Something should be accomplished. Especially at Level 88 there are easy quests in HoT which gives you regularly the "Ding". They have lockout timers but go regularly back to do them.And in accomplishing a complete Questline in a Zone you get more Equipment/Dings which gives you again a positive feeling. Hunter gives gear from Named and nice bags, Collections give 11AA mostly, Mercenary/Progression gives nice XP and mostly 2-4AA, the Missions not always useful solo if the gear/AA is not there. But finding help is not so difficult normally. If not then boxing missions is the right challenge.

I have enough toons which where around 93-95 and at 95 they do well in EoK too (with 105 help). I wonder partly, why everybody is a bit negative on that but with a good tank and healer the experience is flowing as long as the killing is combined with the right quests. Only the gear drops are 105 and quests start at 95. The most xp is always with quests done at moment in my group. Meanwhile they are around 98-100 and running with the big 105 guys. Rarely I have deaths except the Bard forgets his "Faded Memories" while the puller pulls. Stay where you get drops which give you success = fun. Every new gear is a positive feedback.

Boxing takes out the boring part - yes. Since I box I had not a single case of grind boredom (btw I never grind and I don't like it. Levels should flow by like an accident or surprise. I have fun in quests, tradeskills and everything which makes something complete -> Dopamin-Junkie ;)). If you want to have a bit more Serotonine or Oxythozine then group, go into a guild, help others to have success - simple as it is - but others posted that before ;)

My toons Ding and I am often surprised that they again have the next level or AA because I have too much action to do to control the group - even doing 20 times some missions in Thulia it gets never boring with different classes and different setups ;) - so diversity is a key for me.

Perhaps that helps a bit.
    Tatanka likes this.
  14. Gynek Lorekeeper

Myself, I've taken to trying to complete every classes Epic 1.0 on my Mage for wall decorations... Lemme tell ya, that'll keep you real busy for a WHILE.
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Level 88 is NOT a "bad spot" for you to be in.
    You can group with max-level character for XP, even after the level-up in the new expansion.

That being said, soloing is boring for MANY people - especially in an MMO.
    Boxing is an alternative - as was said above, you won't "have time" to get bored.

As was also said:
    Make yourself and your presence known.
    Don't be "afraid" to join max-level groups.
    But yes, you will most likely get out of your level-adequate zones for that.

Joining a guild is always a good thing, though most non-familiy ones require you to be at least level 100 or 101 to consider you as an app.
    Still, asking never hurts - all depends on your plans for the future as well as playtimes and (possible) RA,
  16. Rhodz Augur

Do it the EQ way... find something else to grind! :D
  17. Sagarmatha Augur

You should quit. This game is dead. The more time you spend wasting away on Everquest is time you could be building on another game. I would recommend one, but the proper answer is, "do your research."
    Mannbearpig likes this.