Good duo class with a magician?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jorvaar, Jul 3, 2022.

1. Jorvaar New Member

RL friend made a mage on a TLP server and I want to roll a toon to play with him. What are some good duo classes with a mage? I was thinking enchanter or necromancer seem like good options. Seem about right, or am i missing an obvious one?
  2. Metanis Bad Company

Bard for sure if you don't mind pulling and doing crowd control.
  3. Jorvaar New Member

I hadn't considered a bard. That sounds good. Will probably do that. Thanks for the suggestion!
  4. Iven the Lunatic

CC:
    Bard or enchanter. Bard is by far the best puller but does need positioning for melee. Does also speed up travelling. Also has picklock (not needed in end game on live servers), weak tracking and weak foraging.

Enchanter has IVU and best CC and best group mana regen auras and buffs. Boxing two pet classes can be annoying when one is a magician even that there are synergy effects.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DPS:
    Druid if you want travel options, best foraging, tracking, emergency healing, additional CC and evac. Also a great class if you focus on quests and progression. Does receive an aura for synergy effects with magican and bard fire spells and procs.

Necro would offer more DPS than the druid and can offtank adds, but has not many usefull extra tools for boxing. IVU is usefull.
  5. Jorvaar New Member

So I made a bard last night on Metanis' suggestion and am enjoying him so far. I will likely keep going with him either way.

That said, I really enjoyed the druid class both back in the day and on P99. A lot of forums/youtube guides seem to bash them. I take all of that with a grain of salt but I'd be worried about not getting into groups when we decide to do that. Am I off base?
  6. Tucoh Augur

In general, when asking about TLP it's important to post what era and be wary of people giving advice about TLP without specifying what era.

To your specific question, it depends on what role you want to play and whether you want to play without him.

Iven's post is very good. To add to that, for TLP, the charm spell that enchanters (and druids..) get is extremely powerful, but features a very specific combat strategy that your friend can't participate in.

Personally I rolled a druid/mage on a fresh TLP and enjoyed it a lot, it was an excellent early game duo that melted mobs, wasn't gear-dependent and had a lot of mobility. Having a druid in your team also makes powerleveling / moving other characters around easy (if they aren't on the same account), in fact I leveled the druid/mage specifically to have a druid port bot for my cle/enc duo.
  7. Jorvaar New Member

Yeah, fair enough. We started on the Vaniki server. I'm honestly not entirely sure what era it's in now. I'm still very new to it. I don't think I'll play this toon without him. The idea is to have a duo we only play together. Then we can have another to do our own thing with.
  8. Tucoh Augur

In that case I'd recommend a druid. Bard works well too if you don't want to reroll. I'd recommend putting the druid on a different account to your other characters in-case you want to use it to port or powerlevel later. Charm is also extremely powerful on Vaniki, so the druid has that as an option in a way that is superior to the bard.

Because Vaniki is level-locked I think a lot of people will be leveling up multiple characters. Players will be rolling with gear way beyond what they normally get on TLPs so leveling / AAs will be very easy and rolling new characters will be common.
    Koshk likes this.
  9. Jorvaar New Member

In that case I may just play the bard on my own then, and switch to druid for the duo.

Cheers, thanks mate