Going to be trying a TLP server for the first time(Agnarr), what should I 2box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Diabolic1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Diabolic1 New Member

Why are Shaman's garbage on TLP's? On P99 the slow mechanic is very much OP and it makes a shaman equal to or better than having a cleric when you farm certain mobs/plat camps which allow you to duo it with a shaman instead of having a full group required with just a cleric.
  2. Diabolic1 New Member

On P99 soloing and/or duoing is equal to or sometimes faster than just grouping in zones like CoM/Karnor/Seb/etc. Is that not the case on TLP?
  3. Dadcop Lorekeeper

True though haha
  4. nagash101 Augur

Shadow Knight and a Shaman
    Paladin and Enchanter
    Druid and Enchanter
    Mage and Mage
    Warrior and Cleric is solid
    Ranger and Shaman or Cleric
    Enchanter and Cleric
  5. eqzekisdead Augur

On TLPs the mobs are weaker and the players are stronger and gear is way easier to get. Any benefit from slow will be very small. There will be a ton of training everywhere at the start of the server and having rez will save you a lot of time and hassle.
  6. Kimberly New Member

I plan to do the tried and true sk/shm combo.
  7. Diabolic1 New Member

Ah so mobs hit slower/less dmg and players hit harder and etc? So not like P99 at all?
  8. Zansobar Augur

There seems to be a healthy group xp bonus on Phinny at least also.
  9. Brunlin Augur

Mage/Druid is a very powerful combo. Nukes,pet,heals,sow,dots,harmony,and ports.
    Edit: Oh and snare, did i mention snare ;P
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

They aren't. You can ignore him on this. In one of my group configurations the shaman is the main healer. In that scenario, slow makes a big difference. Does it make a big difference when you have a cleric healing? Probably not, but that's not what you're going for. Heals, slows, haste, buffs... what's not to like in a shaman?
  11. Kahna Augur

I have a druid/bst combo on Phinny. Yeah getting the druid leveled was tough. I leveled it late, so I had to rely on friends who were leveling alts to help me get groups. But my Bst/Dru combo can camp a ton of stuff. I can duo in PoF with the bst tanking. They are very strong Luclin and beyond. Level the druid as a box, I would suggest pairing it with a chanter in classic-velious, then main swap. Worked out nicely for me. And you will be all set up to PL the bst on the chanter account.
  12. Ultrazen Augur

So much of it depends on what you want to do endgame. Mage/Druid is easy mode to level with and farm with. Monk/Druid also amazing. Having ports and snare are very important on a TLP, especially early on.

Sk/Shaman to me I'd rather have than monk/sha, because no snare. No snare sucks, especially in dungeons, which is where most of the stuff you want is early on.

In general, great box teams:

1. Mage/Druid
    2. Monk/Druid
    3. Sk/Shaman (or Monk/Sham, go inny shaman for snare)
    4. Chanter/Druid If you're good at boxing, this combo is great, but it's a lot more work than a mage.
    5. Necro/Shaman
    6. Necro/Mage
    7. Ranger/Cleric

One common theme in all those box teams, snare. Lower guk with no snare = dead. All you need is one runner, or one resisted root. Having snare on the mobs, before they run, means you always have control. If you try to rely on root, you *will* get resisted or line of sighted and end up dead, probably sooner rather than later.

Starting out on a new TLP, you don't want a class that's gear dependent, which really hurts the SK, not a great first toon. You can make it work, but it's much better twinked.

A lot of it depends on what you want to do endgame. If you want to level a team fast, and then farm gear/plat for your endgame toons, then anything that isn't gear dependent.

Monk/Druid is actually really really good on a TLP, neither really need gear to work, and you have all bases covered. Monk is the best combo of mitigation and DPS in the game until you get a really geared ranger going.

Want a caster team? Go mage or chanter/druid Want melee, go monk/druid. Those would be my two top picks for new server 2 box.

If you can handle charm soloing, nothing beats chanter/druid, but it's a lot of work.
    Brunlin likes this.
  13. derty New Member

i went enc/mage and I've been doing very well.
  14. Razzle Augur

It might be kinda rough 2 boxing the first week or so because of the stampede.
  15. Diabolic1 New Member

Do you guys recommend I level each character individually to level 10 or so and then have them meet up? Just wondering how to do it because monk can only be human and if I went shaman only the evil races are worth it.
  16. Banai Augur

Make an ogre/troll shaman and run it to FP where the monk can start. Just can't sell in town with the shaman
  17. AgentofChange Augur

Pretty easy to meet up in the commonlands, it is not that far of a run at all for a troll
  18. Diabolic1 New Member

And then just run the troll back every 5 levels or so for spells?
  19. Brunlin Augur

Actually, I find 2 boxing easy to get groups. If you do well in the area that you are in, people will join you for better xp. You just need to play both toons well in the group, if you dont people wont group with you.
  20. Diabolic1 New Member

So I just tried to make a monk on Phinny in preparations for Agnarr just to see how it is leveling a character with no gear. Man is it hard, it makes me not want to make a monk trying to solo at lv2-4 and it being so hard/slow.