Going to be trying a TLP server for the first time(Agnarr), what should I 2box?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Diabolic1, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Diabolic1 New Member

I've been playing P99 for a while as a Necro + Rogue but tired of the raid scene that occurs on P99 and Agnarr is pretty much what most people on P99 have been asking for so it looks like quite a few people from my guild and others will be trying it.

I have never 2boxxed before but I have a spare laptop and don't mind paying $30/mo to be able to duo level/have an advantage leveling and camping farming spots. Ideally I wanted to go Beastlord but seems like I can't do that until Luclin comes out and would need something to play until then. I was thinking Monk + Shaman would be the best 2box to choose since both of those classes are very powerful in P99 and we will be in Classic/Kunark/Velious for 9months which is how P99 now is. I figure then I can do Beastlord + Shaman when Luclin comes out.

Is monk + shaman a good starter 2box setup on a brand new server with no gear/someone new to 2boxing? Or should I try something else?
    Wayylon likes this.
  2. Banai Augur

Monk/shaman is always a good 2 box. I'd prolly try something that will fit well into a group which this would as well. duo'ing is viable but prolly not recommended especially early on when zones will be packed
  3. Chubba bubba Journeyman

Nice try Holly
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  4. Kattahn Elder

Monk shaman is the traditional best setup and since this server never goes past PoP its going to be incredibly strong throughout the lifespan of the server.

Bst/Shm would have too much overlap in spells probably.
    Wayylon likes this.
  5. Sacoran New Member

Monks are incredibly strong early on in TLP servers and not all that gear dependent. Shaman is a pretty classic 2-box with a monk, and you'll do well with that box combo.

When you ultimately switch to beastlord, though, you'll find that a lot of the utility a shaman brings is redundant with the beastlord's skills. Druid or cleric is more common as a box for a beastlord, depending if you want to focus utility or healing respectively.
  6. AgentofChange Augur

Mage/Mage hello kronos
    Dadcop likes this.
  7. Diabolic1 New Member

What combo with Beastlord will be able to do high plat farming camps in Luclin/PoP then? Reason I wanted to do Monk + Shaman is because they can do all the high plat camps in Velious close to duoing or trioing such as King/CE/Juggs in Seb.
  8. vanvittig New Member

i am considering necro/druid or enc/clr myself
  9. Galleyan Augur

Pretty much Anything + SHM = Very viable. Sk/Shm and Mnk/Shm are kinda the traditional crazy strong ones without being super involved.
  10. Astley Augur

Probably Beastlord / Druid...

Adds in more utility of heals, DS, snare, some HP buffs....

But as a Monk, yes, Monk/Shaman is the best duo-combo out there, except maybe Enchanter/Cleric where you are running charm pets to tank/dps
  11. Diabolic1 New Member

I would consider Druid but in P99 they just sit around LFG and never get groups 55-60 and can't farm any of the amazing item cash camps solo/duo.
  12. Zansobar Augur

There is really no reason to box for purposes of leveling or camping farming spots due to the easy grouping and xp bonus for grouping, plus the instanced zones (multiple versions of "farming spots"). Just play the game like it was meant by being social, joining groups, and having fun enjoying the ride.
  13. eqzekisdead Augur

Shamans are garbage on TLPs. monk/cleric will give you the most power and money and be the most useful in any situation soloing, raid, or group.

When you get bored make a shaman alt on the cleric account just for buffs.
  14. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Play what you enjoy the server will be locked anyhow.
  15. Batbener Augur

Enchanter/Shaman if you don't mind running, enchanter/druid if you do
  16. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

Apparently 65 percent of the server will be enchanters during the first couple expansions. What a surprise.
  17. Galleyan Augur

Eh. The funny thing is, most of the people who do this flame out and quit a month in. There's ALWAYS a metric ton of enchanters 1-30, but almost none capping out. Why bother when you can just double mage and go AFK for 99% of your playtime?
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  18. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

As a Zek player, I find it amusing that people agonize so much ahead of time about what class they will play.

Well, seeing as there are zero consequences to be suffered for making a less-than-ideal pick (because you're on a blue server, where every class has a reasonable role to play): PLAY ANY CLASS. Seriously. Any of them.
  19. Galleyan Augur

^ the best possible advice ever on a non-PvP game.

Edit: Actually, in honor of this good advice... here's some "less optimal" but still very fun box duos that can do pretty much everything the previously mentioned "optimal" ones can, just differently.
    RNG/SHM (my personal favorite for max fun duo)
    NEC/SHM
    NEC/DRU
    ENC/WIZ
  20. Basak Augur

Myself have hard time trying to decide. I Will most likely be running two based upon the rules of the server so I can't run my normal three.

Warrior/Cleric
    Paladin/Cleric
    ShadowKnight/Enchanter
    Druid/Shaman
    Necromancer/Rogue
    Druid/Wizard
    Rogue/Shaman