Going to agnarr with dad and friends. (need class advice)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Shalka, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Shalka Lorekeeper

So far our group looks like Necro/Mage/Bard 1 buddie is deciding between ench or ranger(Corpse jokes acceptable)... the problem is im lost on what i wanna do...

1. I dont wanna go ench/cleric route for my box even tho i know its op... i like melee classes.
    2. not sure which healer i should do
    3. would like to be able to go do things by myself when all of them aren't on
    4. want to be desired for raiding (high play time atm)
    5. i wanna be a great asset to any group or if people in guild need help i want to be able to come help anyone out at anytime...
    6. iksar vs ogre benefits for a tank class if thats a route im gonna go, any advice on which races for your combo you recommend please!
    7. i know this game is play what you like... but i enjoy playing the game period. would love to see some 2 box combos maybe i haven't thought of... look forward to hearing from you all and excited to see the responses
  2. Semah Augur

Pro-ogre argument: you'll regret being non-ogre a couple fights in your entire EQ career.
    Pro-erudite argument: you'll regret not looking as cool as an erudite for every fight in your entire EQ career.
    Kattria Minx, Roxxlyy and code-zero like this.
  3. Kiaro Augur

go Ogre Warrior/Ogre Shaman

Iksar benefits are very superficial the ac is affected by softcap, and the regen really isn't a thing once you're being healed.
    Ogre frontal stun immunity is a real thing, and is a huge help.
    Since you already have a support class and DPS set up going with a tank and healer makes sense, the shaman can buff the caster pets, and is fairly self sufficient once you get Canni.
    Alternatively you could go SK instead of Warrior some redundancy on snare and pulling, but you'll want this option if your friend goes enchanter, HT gives you security against being KS'd most of the time as well.
  4. Raltar Augur

If it can be Iksar, they are always the best choice for style alone. Ogres are the second worst looking race in the entire game. Don't pick Ogre. Ever.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Shalka Lorekeeper

So if i choose warrior over Shadowknight what benefits do i get for it? since agnarr is gonna lock at 65 is warrior still the better option in the long haul? or would a ranger or monk be able to tank all group content with ease and be more dps?
  6. malaki Augur

If you mostly just care about group stuff a knight will probably even be better than a warrior, and you can box a cleric or something if you're friend is going enchanter, ortherwise you can maybe play a shaman.
  7. Ming Tee Augur

This. I'd go sk over war unless your going to hardcore raid. Sk is way better for group/duo content. With sk/sham you will be able to duo anything outside of raid bosses through the life of the agnarr server. Also anyone that thinks stun immunity is overrated isn't doing it right, especially for casters.
  8. Risiko Augur

Ogre SK & Ogre Shaman for the win.

When the Legacy of Ykesha expansion opens (since the server technically locks after Lost Dungeons of Norrath opens; not Planes of Power), you will be able to make illusion potions for all of the player races on your shaman, so If looking like an Ogre bothers you, keep that in mind.

The only other alternative I would possibly suggest is going Iksar SK and Shaman, and race changing later on to Ogre. The reason being that your origin location is in the middle of Kunark which is helpful, but in a few weeks, we will be in Velious, so that won't mean as much. So.... probably not worth it. It really isn't worth it when you figure in the fact that Ogres can origin to Oggok, and zone out to Feerott for a druid /wizard port. The closest druid/wizard portal location for Kunark is a couple zones away from the Iksar origin.
  9. Angrif Lorekeeper

Generally speaking, Warriors will have better AC/HP (fairly significant at this point) than Paladins and Shadow Knights. They are the primary raid tanks because of this and their disciplines. For group content, SK's and Pally's are often considered better tanks because of their better snap aggro. Our main raid tank is really good as a warrior but he says all the time that the main guild SK can take aggro any time he wants. So he actually started leveling a paladin to do group tanking with.
    Sk/Shaman is a classic combo that always works well for any group content.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Add my vote for SK over warrior. The only time you'll wish you had a warrior is on really tough group named mobs (Defensive and Fortitude discs). All the other times you'll wish you had an SK.
  11. Shalka Lorekeeper

So if i main a Warrior or Sk, what is the likelihood ill be accepted into raids or find a raiding guild ? i mean thats something thats very important to me so i wanna be able to raid but i dont wanna sit on the sidelines for months because sk or warriors are only 2 per raid.
  12. Aziuno Augur

With the caster heavy group, you will want a knight for sure.

A Pally+Druid would suffice as well too.

Both Druid or Shaman dots will be high threat, along with all the other casters, you want that snap aggro, IMO Warrior is off the table. If you got a bard for sure, he can slow, or if the Ranger/Chanter goes chanter route, you can have him slow.

Not nearly as optimal as Sham+SK, but would add ports and pl's if someone else changes their mind on class. (Port factor would fall off once PoP hits, as it is mostly useless again until GoD/OOW)

Only thing the group is missing is Res -- and the Pally could help with that, as apparently Druid/Sham Rez is a OOW spell.
  13. Risiko Augur

To be completely honest, getting a main tanking spot on an existing raiding guild at this point on Agnarr is probably going to be a tough order to fill. I'm not saying it can't happen, but no need to set yourself up for disappointment.

That being said, there's always the chance that raid tanks will lose interest and stop logging in as the server ages, and there is always the "new" raid guild that comes along here and there. Plus, if you are really good at what you do, someone will notice and you might get put in somewhere as an extra that leads to something better.

Of course... there is a raid guild that recently lost 30 to 40% of their raid force. They might be looking for new tanks although I wouldn't recommend them lol ;) ... no I wont say who :cool:
  14. Shalka Lorekeeper

Think im going the good ol sk shaman route. i just hope when im solo ill have enough dps to kill things... last thing from me is how will ranger or monk tanking be? i know they can be decent dps so i was wondering how the tankability of them would be? also as an sk is geting in a guild easier? or would the dps route of the other 2 classes be the better way to go?
  15. Angrif Lorekeeper

Ranger can tank most group content (if not all of it) but they WILL need more healing than a SK/Pally/War. Sometimes ranger HP will drop really fast. They can pack more "tanking" type gear to help but will lose some dps. Monks don't really have a method of holding aggro other than PURE dps. With the changes to how dots work, it's even more likely to pull aggro from a monk trying to tank.

As far as joining a guild to raid, let me ask you, do you want a to raid or do you actually want a "raiding guild?" A raiding guild will typically raid 3-5 nights per week (some do more). If it is an established raiding guild, they aren't likely to actively recruit a tank since they would need to already have one. Many "raid guilds" won't even accept apps if the player isn't 50+ with a certain amount of gear. You don't have to join a raid focused guild to raid. My guild on Agnarr has one dedicated raid night and then sometimes do impromptu raids during the week for epic hits. We still raid and work towards progression of difficulty as we gain gear and levels, but it's not the main focus of the guild.
  16. Fluid Augur

IMNSHO: Rangers are too squishy to be considered a tank class. They have good DPS, specials like tracking, get spells that make them a valuable team member but not a tank for an extended period of time. Kind of a tank of last resort because everyone else in the group is a magic user.

Agnarr has an abundance of Clerics, Enchanters, Magicians, and Druids. Start a guild and it won't be a problem filling out those spots. SK/Shaman is a good core to start a guild because people will realize a good core group in them.
  17. Machentoo Augur

There isn't 5 nights worth of content in any expansion Agnarr will ever reach, unless you are the one guild doing open world stuff.

And raid guilds need more than one tank.

And attrition will be a real thing for tanks as well as all other classes.

There will be openings if you are patient and stick with it.
  18. Shalka Lorekeeper

**UPDATE** So a few things have changed with the class set up... Mage (friend) rogue (brother wont have the highest playtime) Dad is on necro/bard (for melody, Eventually pulling if he gets the hang of it) And then me... Saturday we will be starting up and geting the ball rolling so i have a little bit more time
    I really appreciate you all taking your time to read my posts and let me get some of my questions answered... with my brothers play time being so low i cant count on him too often my dad will be the same way.. . Still stuck between 3 classes but at least ill have a bit more time to decide... i guess my last question is pop era what is the dps on ranger / sk / war / monk comparatively?
    And something that you raiders out there could answer for me is if was to main a Healer right now in ur guild is it possible to get raid loot for alts? such as rots for those 3 classes?
  19. Machentoo Augur

With raid gear, in pop/ldon, monk>ranger>war>sk (war and sk will be close enough together to not really matter too much--dps would not be my primary or secondary concern in picking between them.) Ranger will pull ahead (way ahead) if you are killing headshottable mobs. Ranger should also win out over monk if you are in group gear (one of the craftable/tradeable elemental bows is right up there with the best plane of time bow, while monks won't have anything comparable in group gear.)

I can't speak to the alt raiding situation on agnarr.
  20. snailish Augur

If you want to keep the family premade rolling, don't level/progress on your character(s) outside of working with them on theirs. What it sounds like they want to play, you pretty much need to be tank/healer. If your dad goes necro you get some crowd control (that tapers off outside of undead), more if he plays the bard though.

You have more playtime, play a different character. Then they don't hold you back. Ranger could be fun for this and makes sense as your raiding character vs. an SK/shaman that is progressing with the family group.