GoD TLP with level locks starting at 60

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Valv Journeyman

For the sub lvl 50 locks, sure, but having a lvl 50 lock server gives you much more content to raid/progress on than a classic server. A normal TLP is waiting for the clock, this one is more about pushing as far as you are able within the time. You can raid kunark and finish epics at lvl 50 lock, accessing them far sooner than a tlp that locks them till kunark. If you can kill velious raid targets at lvl 55 w/ AA then you are getting raids faster than you would if you were still locked in kunark, even if you're lvl 60. Instead of saying "You can't do this content until the clock opens" it asks "Can you do this content? If not the clock will make it easier eventually."

It also breaks up the AA grind and gives people important class abilities/spells at the level they get them rather than the expansion they unlock at. The AA grind being spread out from kunark - pop instead of backloaded into luclin/pop might also be more fun.

I feel like you get to progress through content in order of difficulty rather than era.
    In a normal tlp you have 2-3months of classic
    lvl 50 lock you would have 2-3 months of classic but could access kunark/velious raids at a higher difficulty level and you can finish epics while they are still useful.

normal tlp = 3months of kunark, you grind out 10 levels, farm some gear/quest and raid log the last 2 months
    3 months of level 55 = 5 levels and ~150aa? You can easily handle kunark content and maybe velious/easy luclin targets. You have plenty of exp to farm but not a daunting amount. If you play a lot you can bank AA for next level unlock.

Normal tlp = 3 months of velious. Being level 60 already means there is just nothing to do besides raid log for the next 3 months.
    A level 60 lock = 5 more levels and more AA. Velious should be a breeze by now and luclin is "on tier" now and some of the lower PoP raids might be doable?

Normal tlp = 3month luclin. Grind hard. You need a VT key and 500AA, have fun.
    Level 65 unlock = 3 months of PoP/whatever stuff comes next I honestly don't know the game well enough post PoP to say how it would work but basically you get to PoP+ 3months faster with a smoother AA grind and raids as challenging as you can handle them rather than time locked.
  2. Haak Augur

Oh there will still be a faceroll - just the players won't be the ones dishing it out. I'm not sure where this idea that EQ will be harder if you're more likely to need a rez or make a CR is coming from, but it won't make any encounters challenging. It'll just make them more obnoxious.
  3. The Reaper_ New Member

Your suggestion isnt perfect, but i like the concept. I'd like to see more TLPs start a little more advanced. I've thought about this a bit and i can't come up with a perfect scenario myself either.

The best idea i could come up with is condensing level cap expacs into one time period and reducing overall time.

Example, server launches lvl 1 classic only (though ive through first 3 expacs in 1 go). 2 weeks of classic. Kunark and velious and luclin open together. pop ldon and god open together. opens don dodh open together etc etc. These are pain points that tend to kill servers when the server gets old and players get in a rut of being the level cap too long etc.

This opens up content a bit more and lets guilds pick which content they want to attack more. The hardcore all mains 18hrs a day mouth breathers can ride the bleeding edge, the more casual raiders can progress as they can do the content etc.
  4. Komodon Augur

There is a lot of good working points to this one. Especially the presented need to break up the AA grind for the all important "call off work for server launches, then go back 5-7 days latter and not feel like you'll then fall dramatically behind with 3 day a week raiding plus squeezed in exp grind sessions" demographic :)
  5. david negron Lorekeeper

It doesn't have sense. what's the problem with having 1 month of classic at least and 2 month after per each expa? if you want to start at God, why players cant join TLPs now? I wont play on new tlps if they wont start in classic . sorry. If I wanted to start at GoD , I'll wait for current tlps and I don't have to wait for the new ones.
  6. Vindar Augur

What's the problem with starting in a later expansion? Classic start has been repeated ad nauseum. There's something mentally wrong with people who want to level in Guk for the 1000th time. Personally I hope they release 2 servers, one classic start and one not. I'd be fine with anything later than classic at this point tbh, with 6-8 weeks unlocks.
  7. Digler Elder

The only issue with 6-8 week unlocks is the time needed farm AA.

How big a challenge is that for the people that aren’t playing 12 hrs a day?
  8. Umul Augur

There are people who don't reroll every single time every single year on every new server and so that classic start wouldn't be stale to them /raise hand

I think they realized that beside being dumb, random loot could potentially make future expansions really obnoxious to keep track of loot tables and which mob should drop which item etc; that's a lot of attention for a future low pop server.

A GoD start TLP while the new shiny TLP is literally in GoD is one of the best troll ideas I've seen in a while Lol. Maybe they'll actually do it.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's no different in principle to expansion locks, if you hate waiting for anything play on a live server, even there you will be waiting for the next expansion.

You will be waiting 4-12 weeks for expansion or level unlocks on any TLP yet devised, waiting a week is trivial in comparison.

Everyone has their comfort-zone and hates not being in it I guess.
  10. Arclyte Augur

I personally prefer to level up with my character, and experience the power gain gradually and as it was intended. Later start expansions unload years of powercreep at your feet almost immediately and I'm not a fan. I do think Classic (IE: Pre-Kunark) should be like, 6 weeks max.

There are also a lot of zones/raids I haven't seen in Luclin/PoP etc. Sure I could start up a lvl 200 warrior and go see them, but it wouldn't be the same. I'm probably in the minority on this one.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

They already did.

Miragul.

A server that started with everyone beginning as a 85 Heroic in HoT (L90) while Phinigel had just unlocked Veil of Alaris (L95).
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A minority of one seeing as the current cap is Level 120, let me know how the 200 Warrior is & if you got instabanned.
  13. Umul Augur

Yeah but I don't think Phinny's VOA pop is really apples to apples to Mischief coming out of Pop right?

I generally agree with your points, I'm tryin to gauge which player group is going to leave a loot pinata for a new server in the same era. Or is there some group of players who bailed on Mischief at whatever point prior and is going to be lured to starting fresh on a server in likely unfamiliar ground?

I think opening with Velious or something would be interesting. People buy with their eyes, and the letters GoD don't typically sell a lot.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Arguably, if you believe the myth servers always die* after PoP anyway.

(*they just contrinue to lose players at pretty much the same rate as they already were before in most cases*)

Krono-farmers will be jumping servers anyway, always do.
    Looking at every past TLP they all had a population who wanted to stick around to play with their guilds and a population who bailed out for the new TLP.

So will Mischief & Thornblade lose players, absolutely guaranteed that they will, will they lose all of them, absolutely not.

What most guilds will see is a few of their more casual players fail to return from their most recent hiatus, a few will play on both their current & the new server and most will ignore it initially, guilds which are struggling already will either fold or merge with another guild.

Same thing happens on every TLP so far.

Trilogy start for a Mangler clone would likely be very well received.

Based on what? GoD-Start has never been tried before, and leading up to GoD on live the EverQuest population was still in an upward growth phase, peaking just after Omens of War.

GoD had a fairly disastrous launch on Live but it has been retuned & bug-fixed and is now easily among the very best expansion in EQ's history.
    In fact it is now so well liked by TLP players that when the dev team planned on launching GoD & OoW together on TLP there was a massive backlash against doing that & the devs changed tact.
    Umul likes this.
  15. Gnothappening Augur

Is wanting to be the next Miragul a win?
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

GoD start has a lot smaller "knowledge gap" to deal with than Miragul had.

Miragul was hamstrung by Truebox, my hope would be that Truebox would not be used on a GoD-Start server.
  17. Komodon Augur

Truebox needs to be included in any new max appeal server formula simply based on it's ability to at least keep a tighter leash on the more extreme'ish box play, and to better please the large amount of more casual players/playstyles that are never going to end up looking past the countless amount of naked mage army stacks running all over.

Plus let's call a spade a spade there. The % amount of the total population that ends up boxing more then 2 toons has dramatically multiplied upwards on every server since Phinny. To such an extent that you could pick any clear content guild on Aradune and every single one of them will be fueling their raids/splits on a fair amount of truebox breaking since at least Luclin. With pretty much nobody ever making an issue out of that.

I mean...who REALLY ends up getting hurt by the truebox rule on these servers? The guy running up every wing in BoT following the exact moment a named spawns, with 4-5 other toons stacked on top of his enchanter, sending his charmed pet in on some camp trying to kill it while clinging to the "THERE ARE NO CAMPS < DPS RACE ONLY!" playstyle logic? Yeah...I ultimately don't give 2 craps about that guy and his needs.

Don't be an a-hat to others in open world gameplay and with a little extra effort you basically can ignore that window dressing rule just fine.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ragefire + Mage armies = "Magefire" was why Truebox was conceived of in the first place.

Truebox was only needed from Classic to PoP because all the content was open world, there was no instancing prior to LDoN at least until AoC were created.
    Such was the determination of the dev team to counter the "Magefire problem" of huge mage armies that were seen on Ragefire they gave Phinigel a 2 punch combo of Truebox plus AoC.
    That greatly reduced the size of Mage Armies on Phinigel even if it did not entirely eradicate them and it allowed guilds to tackle all of the early content without having to compete with guilds filled with very dedicated hardcore raiders who would batphone every single open world encounter with such regimented discipline that they monopolised it for a long time, any guild that wanted to race for such content had to engage in seriously unhealthy poop-socking efforts to get a shot at major targets.

GoD being the first raiding progression expansion after LDoN still had some important open world encounters but it heralded the beginning of the era of instanced main raids, LDoN was the test-bed for those. And with GoD haviing so much instanced content, missions as well as raids, the need for Truebox is greatly reduced at that point, and with very little open world content vs only open world content at that point I believe Truebox is actually harmful to player-retention, and that harm only escalataes the deeper into expansions TLP get.

So, server starts before or in PoP - should get truebox, remove it after PoP (or by DoDH at the latest)

Server starts after PoP - no truebox.
  19. Umul Augur

Literally all the threads Lol.

I dont hate it but I don't think it would be a homerun.
  20. david negron Lorekeeper

Go ahead and join the current TLPs cause they almost at GoD or wait for those old tlps to be at the expansion you want to start playing. New tlps starting in classic will bring progression to expansions not available in any other tlp server.On the other hand , you can start playing at later expa when older tlps get to the expansion where u want to start. Why having 4 tlps at GoD same time ? cause that why is going to happen if we got 2 new tlps starting at God so WTF?? It has been like almost a year I dont play in Guk so wont be a problem if I play again in Guk for couple or month until lguk get obsolete again. So lvling in Guk 2 months every year wont give players nauseum like you said. You talk like eq players play all year long in that zone which is BS. Also ,players can wait til new tlps servers are at the expa they want to start a toon.That would fix the problem for those who want to start at later expa.