GoD TLP with level locks starting at 60

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Digler Elder

I’m skeptical the mem and 64bit upgrades will solve the queue problems every TLP experienced the last half decade.

I’ll believe it’s fixed when I see it.

Also, I might be missing the point of one of the arguments, but are you guys suggesting that Daybreak wouldn’t want to open the servers past Kunark because they’re wanting the money associated with human monks race-changing to iksar?

I guess I can sorta see that… to some extent… however, I would think that would be made up by people buying XP pots in the race beyond 50+, 60+, and then using XP pots to grind AA.

While they do see people doing that on a ‘typical’ TLP that revenue is spread out over a longer period, and there are less people doing it because of server attrition.

High level- they’ll make as much, or more on XP pots to offset any revenue lost on race-change scrolls.
    Skuz likes this.
  2. Digler Elder

Also… rather than a GoD start, what if they went a few expansions past it??

We’ve been tossing around the idea of GoD, but I kinda feel that expansion was really just an example of “any expansion post PoP”
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I do not think that 64 bit even if the servers are equipped with more memory than in the past will solve queues.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TSS has been suggested plenty of times as a viable starting point, after all it was the first expansion which had a full progression from 1-75 contained just within that one expansion's zones.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  5. Tweakfour17 Augur

It's also the first expansion past pop (ignoring LDoN which isn't a real expansion). You start too far forward and people won't know what to do (Miragul). TSS would be a viable place though as Skuz mentioned, full lvl 1-75 in expansion, new starting hub city.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Komodon Augur

Nah, he's 100% right there. You simply can't end up with large amounts of the people you need to stay attention invested continuously not logging in for extended periods of time that early in the process. It would just end up being guild/server suicide, and with plenty of already pre-existing supporting data to be found on that within the gradual deaths of an infinite amount of the guilds over the years.

Like I said in the other GoD launch thread, I really like the overall concept idea you are shooting at here, but level locks isn't what is going to get you to the legitimately compromising type existence it all actually might work in. Time locking AA within a much larger variable equation maybe works though.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The level locks are not really what I would call extended amounts of time, one week of each (originally).

So 5 weeks in the ramp-up to 50 your race to 50 may be slowed down for, players are still presented with a choice, they can opt to continue playing even once at the cap nothing stops them, they are just getting their over-fast forward momentum pegged back to allow the rest of teh server to level at a more reasonable pace and nothing stops them having their race to 50 all in one day if they can just wait for the unlock.

So in the end all the players who refuse to play ball or will not wait are just players who feel they have a right to blaze ahead of everyone else & if they are not allowed to do that will suck on their thumb & pout about not getting their chance to feel superior or something.
    It's like having the word "First" blocked on a forum and being mad about that.

I'm not gonna lose any sleep over that minority.
  8. Komodon Augur

The people buying pots are going to be buying pots on leveling that is going to happen one way or the other regardless. Not sure how any of your "make up" math is actually working there. Especially if/when you are going to get into talking about expected attrition rates, which anybody that has actually spent years playing besides a large amount of the people that would would be leading the charge on any power game friendly server setup could tell you.....you'll end up seeing a lot more earlier quits there when all is said and done.

Like this should really be the starting concession point anybody pushing for a GoD launch server should be trying to sell, to both daybreak themselves and the swarm of people looking to bathe in the much more interactive social setting that already dies off way to quickly as is, in the process of hopefully getting what they ultimately want most in the bigger picture.

Even if it's just 1 single month of classic before opening up that Kunark - GoD floodgate.
  9. Rcbauer Augur

I disagree. This keeps the botters and try hards from monopolizing everything. If they quit, nobody will care.
  10. Rcbauer Augur

Mainly due to it being the first expac with zerkers.

TSS sounds like it might be good too.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Rcbauer Augur

we agree.

I hope a GoD start server would be more like the environment on Agnarr than the Aradune/Mischief griefers and RMTers.
  12. Komodon Augur

You are not getting rid of the bots regardless what ruleset server it ends up being. Just like there is no re-winding the clock back to a time where you didn't have a literal 50%+ of the server population running around with zone wide alert tracking, when there was only that one or 2 guys in your huge member count discord 2+ boxing, and when 99% of claims people were making about 3rd party hacks like warping were actually people mistaking it for something (like their own zone wide tracking they are using while crying foul not updating) other then what it actually was.

As for the try hards aspect in a classic experience that was condensed down into a one month run....mountains out of mole hills man. But even then and as a stated earlier in a bigger picture concept idea that actually worked here, that group of people would need to be making other concessions that would/could tie back into to addressing those concerns.
  13. Valv Journeyman

I would hate a level lock below 50, maybe 46 would be ok so you could start in the planes but 50 for the first lock seems good. Would be just like a classic server start but bst/zerker are in with more leveling paths and lower level gear options. Classes like pally/rog/ranger wouldn't be awful to main from the start.

If you level lock at 50 for 2 months you give people time to level and gear up in classic raids and work on epics.
    2-3 months at 55 lets people start farming AA and doing kunark and some velious content and finishing epics.
    2-3 months at 60 lets people farm more AA and finish off velious/luclin content and start pop/ldon stuff
    2-3 months at 65 is farming pop etc etc

Might be a fun way to do a TLP, "non classic start" and "all classes in from the start" seem to be popular ideas around here lately, this server would give them that while still having a classic start feel.

With more gear and zone options camps in classic that are cancer like golden efreeti boots would be less important because there are other options and too many zones to lock them all down.

AA might make players strong enough to take down higher level mobs, im not sure, but I could see this being a fun server, just ditch the low level locks, no one wants to be stuck at level 20 for weeks, thats 1 day worth of leveling with almost zero horizontal progress you can make.
  14. Digler Elder

I can get behind that take Valv. However the ‘2-3 months’ sitting at each level cap, would be pretty horrible. That feels like much too long a time frame.
  15. Rcbauer Augur

I agree.

50 for a 3 week lock max
  16. Gnothappening Augur

You can't force people to want to group with you.
    Hekkthebank, Sendori and Umul like this.
  17. Haak Augur

LLP would be an interesting experiment, but they better put out another server at the same time that fits a more standard model as an alternative. Most people don't like to be artificially restricted when we can see something we want on the other side. If I'm in line at the bank, and I can see a reason for waiting (the other people ahead of me) I'll wait my turn just fine. But if the line is empty, and I'm told to stand behind a line while I can see the teller but can't get to them, I'm going to get annoyed. That's how I imagine most of us will feel when stuck at 30, 40, 50, etc when there's content we can almost reach but can't manage it because we need to wait out the clock.
  18. Rcbauer Augur

I never have to LFG and don't use boxes.

Good day mam'n.
  19. Rcbauer Augur

Or try at lower level so it won't be a faceroll.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Gnothappening Augur

Some people do prefer to solo, or at least they say they do.