GoD TLP with level locks starting at 60

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Court Elder

Several people are 20+ within the first day, so I can’t image them level locking at such a trivial level. Opening Classic / Kunark / Velious / etc would be interesting with a Lvl 50 lock for 3 months. Be interesting to see if anyone could actually kill many raid targets before the 60 increase.
  2. NImxat Elder

Classic cleared? a week maybe. If say Kunark opened 1 week after server opened then it would take a bit longer going forward as folks would need to gear up as well as level. So, maybe PoP in a couple months sounds likely. Depends on how many guilds were required to "complete" each expansion content. But then you'd just have the top guilds helping others so the server could advance.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

While I do think level locks below 50 are an interesting idea I have not & would not suggest an entire month at level 20, I think the most I suggested below 50 was one week.

I'm open to some variation on the original idea though.
    For one example

Level 10 - 3 days
    Level 20 - 4 days
    Level 30 - 7 days
    Level 40 - 10 days
    Level 50 - 14 days
    Jubilee likes this.
  4. Rcbauer Augur

Good idea.

Another great thing would be all the Odus zones would be open for xp and Paw would be the xp pinata it becomes.
    Jubilee and Skuz like this.
  5. Gnothappening Augur

What is the point of level limit locks? All I see it doing is discouraging people from playing there. Even casuals can hit 50 in two weeks. You have people not able to go past 40 for 24 days.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

The general idea is to try and see what you can kill at forced lower levels and also give the slow levelers time to keep up. Some casuals hit 50 in two weeks, some don't in all of classic.
    Appren and Jubilee like this.
  7. Nicorus Elder

It also locks out the planes for a few weeks which is why most people skip all the armor quests and gearing offered outside the planes entirely.
    Jubilee likes this.
  8. UNDEADCRUSHER Elder

Rumor is all characters will start out as vegan and have to eat only jumjum stalks.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

Like the good little halfling you are!
  10. Komodon Augur

Yeah, this.

Monk is easily the second most rolled class in overwhelming #'s (behind all the enchanters fueling the Charmquest leveling meta), and especially among the power gamer crowd clamoring for a GoD era server start. Very very few of which you ever see stay human.

My bet wouldn't be them leaving that Iksar money on the table either :)
  11. AngryKing Elder

Opposed to people not being able to go past 50 for 90 days? Or 60 for 180? Arent you the one incessantly saying the game is too easy?
    Appren and Skuz like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The point is an attempt at managing TLP queues & allowing more people to level up early rather than benefitting just a handful of speed-levellers who can play for extended amounts of time during the first few days & weeks of the new TLP server.

Initially I thought about a level 50 cap, but then having read other people's LLP ideas I did some thinking on how that may help at the start of a new TLP.

Every TLP has had issues with Queues, except when a second server was launched with or shortly after it with a identical ruleset, Ragefire/Lockjaw & Mischief/Thornblade.

By having a Level-Locked start the theory I have is that you constrain the level-racers some & allow people who are struggling to get in & actually play a much better chance to get onto the server & keep pace with the "front wave" of players.
    This type of start may help alleviate queues, the level racers will hit the cap super-fast then log out, allowing a few days for the not so super fast levellers to catch them, then the next cap unlocks they come back & once again get bored after a day once they reach the cap.....by the time the 50 cap unocks you do not have a tiny handful of 50's you have a server where nearly everyone is 50 or close to it.

So dealing with queues & allowing more players to be able to level up at the starting few weeks of the sever was the original concept, but thinking beyond that it does open up the option for the racers to simply not bother logging in until the cap is where they want it to be, if they are so sure they can speed-level they can wait until 50 unlocks then race as they normally do, only they won't have some massive advantage over most of the server, and doing it in those stages may mean grouping is easier for everyone since most will be in a closer level range. again this helps players who had difficulty with the queue.

Secondary to that queue management idea was that maybe a few guilds would find some interest & novelty factor in attempting some content which was designed for levels above the current level-locked cap.
    Tweakfour17, Polekn and Jubilee like this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Miragul left that money on the table, so did Selo.

All bets are off.
    Jubilee likes this.
  14. Jubilee New Member

Because you'd also have (I assume) the first few levels of many Luclin AA's available, far below the normal cap. Could be a fun twist to spend a few days each level "tier" farming AA's between under leveled raid attempts of classic/Kunark zones and as Velious becomes actually doable.
  15. Yarteb Elder

AA's can't be attained until 51 minimum. Why would AA's be available earlier?
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I would not expect to see AA levels changed at all, and there are very few which would be available before 51 in any case, so AAXP prior to 51 I think not.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

Then add all of the limits together below 50 and put them at 50. Having 3-5 weeks of locks before 50 means that people can't really do anything. People hit 50 in a few days. A hard lock at level 20, 30, etc means there is zero reason to play. Log in, get to the break point. Don't log in again until a week or whatever later when you can level again. I see something like this causing way more attrition than any benefit. Skuz mentioned ques, but since this imaginary server is starting in the same expansion as the current TLPs, I don't think there will be weeks of ques like before.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Perhaps you & others are correct and nobody will show up for a GoD-start TLP my idea will be laughed off as a bad idea & it never gets tried again, I'm okay with that, I'll be happy if it was tried, I think there has been quite a decent amount of positive feedback in support of trying it though.

But what if you are all massively wrong?

I think it is better to be prepared in advance to try and address that than to have players disappointed en-masse, maybe my level-locked start suggestion ends up being completely unsuccessful and does not work out as I hope it might neither reducing queues or help more players get into the game early on.
    If that happens then at least I tried thinking of something that might help, being constructive about it rather than just ignore the issue or pretend the possibility of it happening doesn't exist.
    Maybe it works completely, or partially, in those cases it will provide some interesting data for Darkpaw at the least.

You see the level-locked start as attrition inducing, I see queues as attrition inducing, flip-sides of just 1 coin, probably neither you or I are 100% correct - there will be people who hate being unable to race to 50, there will be many more I feel who have been left behind even early on who will see this server as offering them the chance to be there with most players rather than playing catch up.

Ultimately I think TLP offer an opportunity to try something that has not been done before, some people hate that, they like things to be predictable, comfortable, within their wheelhouse - that's why so many claim they bail out before GoD anyway.
  19. Komodon Augur

So you got 2 past and what arguably amounts to experimental examples there out of the total bunch. That one could reasonably guess didn't fair all that comparatively well as far total sales and player/krono dump retention #'s went, and which they haven't repeated since.

Does that honestly sound like where smart money is placing their bets to you?
  20. Gnothappening Augur

I don't think gates start is horrible. I just think gates start with 2 servers currently in gates is horrible. If they give us a regular phinny clone to go along with it, it won't be so bad.

As for the ques, I thought 64 bit and the extra memory usage meant an end to that. Did it not?