GoD TLP with level locks starting at 60

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rcbauer, Mar 23, 2022.

1. Rcbauer Augur

sounds like heaven actually.

AA's
    Wide variety of xp and raid content.
    All classes and most race combo available
    PoK
    Baz

I don't really see a down side. If you guild wants to stick with classic content then by all means do so. Kunark? Gross but ok. Velious is our thing? We have that too. Luclin at 55? Challenge accepted!
    Rebelicious, Digler and Skuz like this.
  2. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

What about gear requirements?
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

I like the concept, personally I'd like to see them level lock lower at the start just so the hard cores can push the boundaries of what they can kill at low levels while giving the "casuals" ample time to keep up.
    Rebelicious and Skuz like this.
  4. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Too much cheating would occur on this server.
  5. Rcbauer Augur

6. Rcbauer Augur

monks have to play with no gear

Rogues almost catch them on parses

Honestly though it would require people to reconsider gear paths for sure.
  7. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Sounds like mage bot paradise
  8. Tweakfour17 Augur

What exactly about this server would change the amount of cheating that happens on TLP/EQ?
    Rebelicious and Skuz like this.
  9. Nicorus Elder

GOD start is just not that interesting when you actually understand how outdated luclin & prior content is by then. No one is going to bother raiding luclin or prior because it just won't be worth it.

Also raiding with level locks would be awful for casters unless they massively revamp mob resists. Every single fight will be like plane of sky where casters can't even hit anything. It will be all mass pets and melee.

I like the idea of a level lock server starting in kunark since it would have people doing content that often gets skipped these days but they would need to retune motm to make it playable for casters.
    Komodon and Hekkthebank like this.
  10. Rcbauer Augur

I think i didnt make it clear what I want:

GoD isn't open for business except basically the classes and good stuff. No zones.

You can raid and xp in the zones up to luclin. Maybe have POK open for convenience.

This would spread out the initial rush to more zones for the race to 60. (Like it matters after 20+ years haha !!)

Then after a bit open the 65 content ALL AT THE SAME TIME. (PoP, LDON, LoY, GOD)

Then do the same at 70. (OoW DoN, DoDH)
  11. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

yes agreed. No one wants to play meleequest
  12. Haak Augur

The biggest issue is that like many MMOs, past expansions are largely invalidated with the release of later ones. Plenty of players enjoy raid content across the expansions, but it would largely be a waste of time to focus on earlier stuff when you can bypass it, especially if it has relatively short unlocks. There would need to be some other system involved to artificially limit progression, in which case you might as well have just released a traditional server.

Additionally, they make money off of race change potions, so I don't ever see them having all race/class combos available at launch. In the same way that they would never do a krono-free server, because it's a revenue generator, I don't see the value for Darkpaw in removing a roadblock that makes them money. Now all classes available might be something to try - so that Beastlords and Berserkers are present from day one and the players that are interested don't have to wait multiple expansions in playing something else.

All that being said though, I'd rather have a server that starts somewhere else along the timeline other than Classic over another Mischief loot style tweak to core gameplay mechanics. At least it would still feel inherently 'EverQuest', and not a Diablo-clone with an EverQuest skin.
    Komodon likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think if you want a TLP that starts at GoD you have to have all of the content that came with GoD open from the start, keeps things simpler & more straightforward.
    Even if you have level-locking as part of the ruleset.

LLP (Level-Locked Progression) Server would have all expansions unlocked & only levels being locked - this one allows all classes, races & combinations the live game has right from the beginning.

ELP (Era-Locked Progression) Server would have expansions beyond the current level cap locked, so this is what I think your idea uses, where all of the expansions that are for a particular level are unlocked at the same time.

PoP, LDoN, GoD = 65 era
    OoW, DoN, DoDH, PoR = 70 era
    TSS, TBS = 75 era
    etc.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  14. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Interesting but this wont happen.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Classic, Kunark & Velious are largely outdated with a Luclin start, just by a lesser degree.

No matter what later era expansion a server starts with players will pick a point at which to "start" with their raid-force's gear building.
    On live for example some guilds opted to skip Vex Thal entirely and go from Velious + some Luclin Raid Gear straight into Planes of Power Raiding, building up gear on the lower raids & advancing from there on.
    I don't see any major issue there.

That would only apply if raid forces attempt to beat content that is designed for higher levels than the current cap, that level difference effect also means melee swings land less often also and mobs will have higher avoidance & armor class as well as resists, are casters disproportionately affected? I am not sure.

Versus content that is level-appropriate level-locked vs not will be no difference at all.

It's certainly something the devs may try, the reason I chose GoD when I suggested a Level locked start server was purely because it allowed all of the classes to play from the server's opening day, and only a GoD-start or "true LLP" which has all expansions open and level-locking is going to allow for that, unless the devs backtrack on their stance of keeping races & classes locked to their original expansion releases.
  16. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

I don't understand the reasoning behind wanting a level locked server.
    oldkracow and Crabman like this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's a different take on a progression server, and depending on how you set it up could allow for everyone to pick the class/race combination they want right from the start which is something none of the TLP have ever done before.

So day 1 of the server you could play your Beastlord or Berserker, maybe even a Froglok Monk, a Drakkin etc.
    minimind likes this.
  18. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

It further restricts most raiding to open world zergs.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I really do not understand what you mean.

How does level locking change anything relating to open world raiding other than players may attempt to try and kill stuff that is from a higher level expansion than their level was from?
    It's less restrictive actually because you could not even attempt to do that on prior TLP, those expansions would not have been accessible.

Open world raiding is no big deal with AoC anyway and GoD is the era when Raiding was almost entirely instanced already?
  20. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

Gobur's can't clear the content with 72 max level mains. How is he going to clear the content with 72 level 40s?