GM Events

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ayoforYayoh, May 20, 2017.

1. ayoforYayoh Augur

Back in the day this was probably one of the most renown parts of old EQ. Will these ever come back?

Not to be confused with just holiday events and marketplace sales....but one day you're just hanging out having a good time and the sky goes blood red and all sorts of skeletons start to appear much higher level than the area they're in.

Or i remember once i'm on early in the morning hours soloing and a tree in the middle of qeynos hills asks for me to water it.it completely blew my mind as i handed it one of my waters and it handed me back stacks of high lvl food and waters. just dumb stuff like that was awesome.

I'm sure there were a few more that i've just forgotten about because its been so long. i also remember a "boys vs girls" GM hosted arena event on valentines day
  2. Rouan Augur

Some of those GM events were literally GMs and Guides.

The sky turning red was a scripted event IIRC.
  3. Traspe Journeyman

Totally agree here...GM events were what made EQ different, the interaction was great, never knowing when an event might pop up and being able to witness it was pretty awesome, haven't seen that in years. They don't care anymore, can't blame them, old game
  4. Atrebe New Member

One of the best ones I remember was in either North or South Karana, and a ton of spectres and jack-o-lanterns spawned. There was one huge boss spectre that murdered everyone until enough high level people got together and took him down. I was playing an alt at the time and probably died a dozen times with a dozen CRs and didn't care because it was so awesome.
  5. Eyepk Lorekeeper

I was somewhere in the karanas on an alt when the kithicor event started a GM as a dark elf came up to me and waved I was a kid so instantly OMG fat lewts and attacked it so he death touched me lol. So I got on my main about an hour later there was 60 or so of us in high hold pass on the gate ramparts ready for the undead legion we fought hard but they still wiped us one of my favorite gaming memories of all time.

If. I remember correctly there was a really sweet shaman staff that dropped.
  6. Rouan Augur

I *think* that was Halloween 2001. I know the 2001 event has an ashenbone drake boss in RM and I got 3 nice pieces of gear for my ranger self in EK.

But yeah, that event was awesome and would be nice to see on this server come Halloween (even if it was earlier than Velious).
  7. ayoforYayoh Augur

i wasn't there for it but i remember hearing stories about one involving fippy darkpaw. anyone remember it?
  8. Mhad Lorekeeper

So there I was, a low level beastlord killing goblins and sarnak's in lake of Ill omen with the Mrs. When, all of a sudden, Cazic Thule bellowed sending chills down the spines of all who were present. The God of Fear had come to the island of Kunark to make his presence known to the Iksar, and anyone else who were unfortunate enough to be in his path.

The entire adventuring population of the zone rushed to halt his advance. Some trampled under foot, some thrown from one side of the lake to the opposite side without a moment's notice. All the adventurers informed their fellows not present, of the calamity that was approaching Cabilis. Soon, the more experienced adventurers began to arrive. One by one the forces grew against the God of Fear, eventually driving him back to his home plane.

I did not perish in this battle, but by all rights should have. To this day, this event is the most memorable.
  9. Machentoo Augur

No.

Bottom line, they just do not have the staffing to run this stuff any more.
  10. taliefer Augur

they seem to be doubling down on the nostalgia factor for Agnarr. I wouldnt be shocked if they managed to dust off some of the old events somehow.
  11. Senadin Elder

Funny thing is if THEY DID spend the money and time for this, and do it well and often. I bet you a lot of folks would come back.
  12. Machentoo Augur

Probably not enough to pay for the extra staff it would require. Do you really think a few one off events would draw hundreds of other players who otherwise wouldn't play? Has anyone ever said, "Well, I'd really like to come back to Everquest, but they aren't doing the werewolf event in WC any more, so naah..."
  13. Senadin Elder

I am not talking about events like the werewolves but more like well organized events. Similar to maybe what a DM would do with a pen and paper RPG but on large scale.
  14. Machentoo Augur

Not even sure how to respond to this. You want them to hire professional DM's to lead groups of players through personalized adventures? It doesn't matter how many players this would attract, since the more players you have, the more DM's you would need. It would probably take upwards of a $100/month subscription to actually do this. Even with a much larger staff than they currently have, they weren't able to do this sort of thing on the legends server with premium subs.
  15. Malokhan Elder

On ragefire a guide (I believe) poped up in front of our group on orc highway, asked us some questions and first to answer them got some cookies. Then asked who wanted to visit the tower of fun. I was quick to answer yes, and got teleported to the top of one of the pillars in zone and left there. I found a way to bounce down the side with out death, and shocked him that I lived. (he was watching) Ended up with a several stacks of cookies, and he healed me back up from the minor falling damage. Not so much a GM event, but some low level interaction does happen sometimes. Just if they ask to visit the tower of fun, say NO!
  16. Koronu187 Elder

Id love to see a GM event for the first week of the agnarr, Where they restore the spawns/rates to normal levels in the newbie zones !

Am I rite guys!?!!! o_O:confused:
  17. Machentoo Augur

If they hire someone tomorrow, it will take ~25+ years to defeat the combined institutional longevity of Prathun and Absor.
  18. Senadin Elder

Ohh come on... how hard can it be for a guide/GM to shout in a zone help..... help... have a guide or gm play an npc and have him hit scripted msgs. Save my farm etc from the giants... get 1 or 2 or more GM control giants and have the players try to defeat them. Im not saying you need to run temple of elemental evil or rod of seven parts for every 6 man groups here. Lots could be done with what they have. Turn the monster mode again... even temporary.
  19. Machentoo Augur

First, you need to have a full time staff member create whatever it is that you want to do--Save my farm from the giants doesn't just appear out of nowhere in a mmorpg. That guy is going to run you 60k a year minimum, because he lives in san diego, and if you want him for more than one single giant event, then you have to keep him on staff... Your 1 or 2 more GM controlled giants will run you another 60k a year each, because there are no GM's that aren't currently 2 weeks backlogged on answering petitions that are far more relevant than this bs quest you have in mind. Then, you need to overcome fifteen years of bureaucratic inertia to fill out the rest of it with volunteer guides, because the last time volunteer guides were actually authorized to give away anything more than cookies was back in 2003. Between all of these things, you are talking at least several hundred thousand dollars, which would take 12-18k subscribers sticking around for a year or more under the current subscription model.
  20. Senadin Elder

With all due respect, you make it sounds a lot more complicated then it really is. GM can already take over any monster in game . I recall a huge Inny being played by a GM. It could be as simple as that. Sure those guys arent free bit they already are on payroll. I give you that guides cant do much more than milk and cookies. Yeah scripted events would be hard because of the planning involved but not everything needs to be complex.