GM Doex

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aegir Augur

I've never gotten a tell from a GM unless it was a /petition in game, that you can't use anymore.

For everything else, GM's, have been regularly using /say to communicate with players in game since the release of the game. It's not a new trick.
  2. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

"You have been summoned!"
  3. Callan New Member

/say gets around all your automation im glad GM's are being sneaky catching you cheaters. Just cause 'you say' you werent cheating dont make it true.GM's dont suspend willy nilly here you got GOT
    Lejaun and Duder like this.
  4. Duder Augur

The OP thinks it's "lame" that he got caught and comes here to cry about the GMs enforcing the rules... What would your complaint be if he had just observed and kicked you with no attempt to communicate? What would it be if he had sent you a tell and then called you on your BS? You got caught, man up and accept it.
    Lejaun likes this.
  5. Accipiter Old Timer

It wasn't him. Didn't you read that part? ;)
    Duder likes this.
  6. Corydon Augur

LOL no. You can filter for "say" as well. Put "say," and "GM" in a line and you're set.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

AFK play is BAD. BUT. I think players actually at the keyboard are going to miss Says a lot too. This is a Catch 22 because any method or system players at the keyboard can come up with to focus on GM says will be usable by the afk players too. And anything DBG does to make GM messages extra noticeable can also probably be used to flag it for afk players.

Already thought of one way the afk folks could get around this but not going to mention it. I guess /say checks is the best they can do atm but it seems far from perfect.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Duder Augur

Ohh, totally sure he was just concerned for a friend. ;)
  9. Laronk Augur

The problem with /say is if you're pulling trains the say filter just gets so much stupid spam.
    If say was separated into another filter (mob/npc talk and say from players) then this wouldn't be an issue well not as much of an issue.

I have mindlessly grinded mobs for hours before while ignoring my chat windows because I didn't feel like chatting I was just farming junk. Though GMs aren't checking on you if you didn't get petitioned first it is dumb that they use say.

You can also make a gina trigger that reads out every say also, if you're not pulling trains then it wouldn't be THAT annoying.
  10. Duder Augur

Think they will miss the GM with a big green name? All of these complaints just seem to be a cry for "Hey, help us not get caught for automation."
    Lejaun likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Somewhere I read (and I dont remember what thread) that they can detect a gm who is visible with the software they use. So no I dont think afk players will miss that.
  12. Duder Augur

I was referencing the Non-AFK players who might miss "says" that you mentioned.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  13. Dailor Augur

I've filtered all communication to spam. If a GM doesn't contact me via certified mail the afk check should be thrown out of Elf Sim court.
    Duder likes this.
  14. wade_watts Augur

An unsurprising amount of salt in this thread, however a surprising number of people that know all the details of how GM's 'always' operate and what they 'would never do'.

I made the post because its the third time within two weeks that different folks I know of received a suspension for supposedly being afk but were at the keyboard. This one happened when I was actually talking to the guy via tells as he got disconnected and suspended.

It's also the seventh time in two weeks that I heard similar stories from others. Each time they used /say it was the same GM (Doex). Meanwhile, other GM's (Alabaster is one name), performs AFK and botting checks, but he at least sends tells to players so it doesn't get lost.

As I said, I think they recognized that it was unfair and it sounds like the account has been un-suspended. Thanks DPG for reading and responding.

I know tho, it's easier for you to just say ".. LOL THIS GUY MAD CUZ HE GOT BANNED.!>>!!!.. HAX"
  15. Bullsnooze Augur

Lol, the comments in this thread are pretty funny.

If a GM is 'checking' up on you that already means that they are suspicious of you potentially cheating. Which you probably are... Just don't cheat, follow the rules, and you will be fine.
    Lejaun likes this.
  16. Gnothappening Augur

I get where the OP is coming from. It isn't so much that say is the problem, it is that mob chat all goes to the say channel. As for the people talking about GMs with big green names, sorry but no. Some GMs will show up like that, other GMs will show up with GM invis on and then use say. It honestly seems to come down to the GM which method they use. Personally, I tell everyone to make a new chat window that only has say in it. It helps, but if there are a lot of mobs it still spams past. Would be nice if they moved mob /say to the emote channel or something.
  17. Gnothappening Augur

I don't know bull. All a GM checking on you means is that someone reported you. Doesn't mean they reported you for a valid reason. On Aradune, reporting someone who has a camp you want is a valid method of getting that camp.
  18. ForumBoss Augur

Even if you have say to a separate window, you might miss stuff if actively fighting. Mob aggro messages can fill that window quickly, especially if someone is training or mass pulling nearby. Now you can probably set up automation to catch a player only say messages, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

However if a bright green GM is in my face, I'd probably look closely and /wave, but may still miss the say spam.
  19. Golgosomething New Member

Say is an objectively terrible way of communicating. I never, ever, ever notice anything in say. Mobs use the /say channel. It's just spam that the eye is trained to ignore since 99% of it is flavor text. People are correct in pointing out that any AFK software which is parsing logs would be able to parse that channel just as easily, so it is of no benefit from that perspective.

I assume the GMs use it because, in theory, it's kind of like /ooc with a smaller radius, so someone could see it on multiple toons without disrupting everyone else in the zone. But in practical terms, it is not a good idea. If they want to do this, they should have something that behaves exactly like say (local, every one of your characters can see it), but which has a different text filter in the UI so that I can make it bright red.
    Fenthen likes this.
  20. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

But wont the gm be invisible otherwise doesn't it defeat the purpose? If they are visible the afkers will know... But I don't know the procedure of the GMs do they do it invis or vis?

And I mean if the GM already knows the person is at the keyboard and so is visible why does he have to check if the guy is afk?
    Fenthen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.