Gift of Hazy Thoughts Change

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Jordis, May 20, 2015.

1. Jordis Augur

Could someone explain the change to Gift of Hazy Thoughts? It was procing off detrimental spells (like casting mez, whether or not it was supposed to), now just direct damage. There are several points that are confusing. When I commented on the change in guild chat I was told that the change was made because "the proc was breaking mez's" I'm sure that can't be the case since it doesn't target or cast a spell, just makes the spell gains the proc advantage do more damage.

Right above the change notice to Gift is one that : Fixed a bug that allowed Enchanters to gain full control over summoned animations without purchasing the Animation Empathy AAs.
    Wow..level 61-65 aas that someone didn't earn. I'd be surprised if they weren't included in the auto-grants anyway.

But it raises some question with The Gift of Hazy Thoughts (available at 105) change.

It got updated to proc for rank 6 Chromatic Haze.

Okay, that's nice particularly since I have ranks 1-6 in Chromatic Haze that I earned at 105. Odd overall though since Gift of Hazy Thoughts has no previous requirement (such as actually having Chromatic Haze, let alone the aa for rank 6).

So does that mean that you don't have to buy Chromatic Haze (which requires level 96 and Calculated Insanity at rank 3? Apparently it does. Ironic that you absolutely have to fix a bug that gives you a useful animation/pet at well below Heroic Chracters level.

There's slightly greater chance for a proc. Okay, nice but hardly necessary. I would have thought that a change to an ADPS ability would have addresses issues with other casters and the say the proc works on their spells, but that would probably be right behind getting our mana reiterate aura line to work with preferred necro, druid and mage spells and aa. But then again, the developers since Daybreak did fix that one aa that enchanters have that benefits only wizards.

But... here's our major ADPS aa that's now limited to specific DD spells, which has been working on detrimental spells. Won't make any difference when I'm soloing/moloning or boxing, I nuke a lot then. Stuns as a direct damage spell that procs it are out, since they have a duration. Where it appears to make a difference is in providing ADPS, so are we changing to a slightly increased dps class, or sticking with the "ADPS" idea?

With Arx raids where enchanters are supposed to be mezing, stunning, and charming at the same time I have no room or time for DD spells. Charm is a detrimental spell, mez is a detrimental spell, and stun is actually classified as a direct damage spell. There was a chance for the procs to make a difference in the caster DPS. So are we now being targeted as an ADPS class, or a DPS?
  2. Sancus Augur

The change took place because, previously, you could target a pet and spam Banestrike on the pet to proc Chromatic Haze very often (ever 2.65 seconds in my ~9 hour parses). So the devs went very overboard and made absolutely sure that there was no way to make it proc other than nuking.

But I agree, it should proc off of detrimental spells.
    Ferry-Tunare, Phrovo1 and Silv like this.
  3. Silv Augur

It should be noted that what people read as "Increased proc rate to 8%" isn't really an increase due to how the ability used to function - and no, I'm not talking about comparing it to cheez-proccing.

Sancus explained it much better in another thread but the proc rate was much higher than the original intended 5% b/c it could fire off twincasts, weapon procs, and mana flares. It put it well over ~10% depending how many of the above you had going at once. So, the "increase" is a failed attempt to somewhat compensate for that (my guess). You're going to be seeing A LOT less procs any way you slice it despite it being "increased" - and that's even if you're only nuking.

Removing all of the non-DD detrimental procs (that required mana) was foolish.
    Brohg, Sancus and Phrovo1 like this.