Getting New PC

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Gonnab, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Gonnab New Member

My PC is dying a slow death. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on a new one if I don't have to.
    Here are the specs to one I'm looking at. Can anyone tell me if it's good enough to play EQ wilth no problems?
    Specifications

Processor and Memory

Processor Type: 8th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-8100 processor, Quad-core
    Processor Speed: 3.6GHz
    Cache: 6 MB L2 Cache
    Memory (RAM): 8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM memory (1 x 8 GB)
    Maximum Memory Expansion: (expandable to 32 GB)
    Hard Drive and Multimedia Drives

Hard Drive: 1 TB 7200RPM SATA hard drive
    Optical Drive: DVD-Writer
    Multimedia Card Slot: HP 3-in-1 Media Card Reader–Supports SD, SDHC, SDXC.
    Graphics

Graphics: Intel® UHD Graphics 630
    Display, Keyboard, Mouse, and Webcam

Display Size: 21.5-inch diagonal
    Display Type: FHD IPS WLED-backlit
    Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    Keyboard: USB wired keyboard with volume control
    Mouse: USB optical mouse
    Webcam: n/a
    Connectivity

Ethernet: 10/100/1000 base T network
    Wi-Fi: Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1)
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth® 4.2 M.2
    Modem: Not available
    Ports/Slots

Ports: Headphone/Microphone Combo Front I/O: 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 Rear: 4 USB 2.0, 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1, HDMI Out, Serial Port
    Expansion: 2 UDIMM (288-pin) (one available) 2 M.2 (one available)
    Power

AC Adapter: 180 W internal power supply
    Software

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Thank you.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

I wouldn't buy anything without solid state hard drive. EQ will play on a toaster, but SSD and a good bit of RAM will make it play better.
  3. xxGriff Augur

it will play eq. you will prob have to adjust detail lvls and clip plane, particle effects to minimize some stutter but, it will play. I have not played on any of the Intel series GPU built into their CPU's since 4000 series, but they worked well enough. Now, if your planning on running more than one client (Box) you will def want to tweak graphic settings, and as mentioned above, RAM helps. an SSD helps with load times, but its not critical with EQ. the mentioning of an 180w PSU leads me to believe this is a SFF PC, so you will be limited as to adding a GPU, if your system has an PCIe x16 slot, you will need to find a low profile (or half height) card what does NOT require any power connections, as a 180w PSU will be rather stretched to do so. But yes, you will be able to play! Congrats on a new PC
  4. Toruch Fleshrot Augur

You may want to throw a nice video card in also.
  5. Sarkaukar Augur

That system will run EQ just fine. The question though, are you playing any other games? And your location/country at least so if we do need to provide directions to website/vendor we are taking that into consideration.

But as noted by a previous poster, EQ will ALMOST run on a toaster but it doesnt have any video outputs :) In the US, I spent a total of $250 for both a used SFF HP and a new SFF Nvidia 1050, though it took a few weeks on the Nvidia card since I had to do lots of research to confirm the SFF, if it had the SFF bracket, one slot and not a two slot... It was an experiment that worked out which I gave to a relative once I confirmed everything was working okay and stressed test it.

Are you boxing at all? Is that a desktop system, since the 180watt is questionable. Is it a SFF - small form factor case? If so adding a better video card would be VERY problematic, due to both a SFF and that PSU.

You said your current system is dying a slow death. What are the system stats and what is happening with it? And have you opened up the case and cleared out all the dust build up on the heatsinks, thoroughly?
  6. Carlos Journeyman

The config you talk about is not good even if you are on budget. You better put a little extra cash and get something better, don't invest money in a computer thinking that his only purpose will be to play EQ1 a 20 years old game. A PC with a power supply of 180W will lead you no where in the near future. Are you in the usa? If it's the case, you should go with a config like that :

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102558
    or
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883998640

If you build yourself (it's what you should do) :

Case => Corsair Carbide Series 100R : 55$
    PSU => SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W : 59$
    Motherboard => MSI H370 GAMING PLUS LGA 1151 : 120$
    CPU => Intel Core i7-8700 : 309.99 $
    GPU => wait and play EQ with the UHD Graphics 630 on the processor. Buy a video card when your budget allow.
    RAM => G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB): 105$
    SSD => Kingston A400 2.5" 240GB : 52.99$
    HD => WD Blue 1TB Desktop Hard Disk Drive : 46.99$
    Optical drive => PLEXTOR CD/DVD Burners : 27$

Total : 775,97$ (without taxes)
    If you need a new monitor => ASUS VG245H Black 24" : 193.71$
  7. Metanis Bad Company

Look at used computers on Walmart.com. Spend about $350 and you'll get a decent system. You need a 256GB SSD and 8GB of RAM both as a minimum consideration. Try and make sure it has an PCI-E expansion slot in case you ever want to add a decent video card. But integrated graphics will run EQ with no problem.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  9. Smokezz The Bane Crew

If all you're playing is EQ, a Intel 630 will run lots of EQ clients with no issue. /shrug. A 1060 is way overkill. Most of EQ is CPU bound.
    xxGriff likes this.
  10. orionfox Lorekeeper

FWIW I got a box box system with a 7100, 8 GB ram and a 256GB SSD for $399 - regular price. A lot of older games are not set up to use multi-cores and that 7100 is serving me fine right now. I have multiboxed a full 6 person group in EQ and had little issue for the limited content I was doing. I added a RX370 a friend gave me and thats my current setup.
  11. Nifty Slacker Augur

It's a tough question to answer. OP is asking if he should buy an off the shelf model, so the answer is no. Never buy an off the shelf model. It will have a short lifetime under any amount of usage, and it will bring with it loads of advertisement software like "Buy ink now!" or "Buy a webcam!" and other stuff. I can't remember the last time I bought an off the shelf model, but they are annoying as heck. Sure, it has a decent i3 processor, but everything else in the build is crap. HP is the largest pc manufacturer in the world, but remember that more than 50% of the cost of that PC is going to advertisement and addware that comes preinstalled.

Go to newegg.com and shop for pre built systems. You will find junk brands like lenovo and HP there, but there are some decent brands like asus and msi as well. Do some research, and be prepared to spend a little more money, but it will be worth it. Here's something I would consider,
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16883152433
    It has a real graphics card, and a 2tb HDD instead of 1tb. They probably aren't name brand HDD's so they aren't great, but you won't find HP using name brand parts either. Same goes for the power supply and memory, it won't be name brand, but that's all you'll get from an off the shelf model.
  12. Metanis Bad Company

I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  13. xxGriff Augur

as evidenced by the number of replies, and range there of, you can see there are many solutions. the original question "will it play EQ?" - short answer = Yes. Then you get to the other possible considerations/issues, which may or may not apply to you or your circumstance (play style or such). Comfort lvl in upgrading/repairing a system or even building a PC. Other titles you may also play, and not least, budget. the Bottom line is a solid 64 bit dual core CPU (3ghz is a good target speed) and ability to add a GPU (at least DX9c with GDDR and not DDR). My Kids have a Intel dual core sandy bridge (2nd gen intel - Pentium 2.8ghz not even an i3,i5 or i7) with 8gb DDR3. and an nVidia GT 240 1gb GDDR5 (128 bit mem interface! GPU with at least 128 or larger bit memory interface is important) windows 10 Home, and runs EQ great @ 1920x1080 single client (I have run 2 clients on this system without problems and game play is/was fine).
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

The best deal in computers today, no matter which market segment you look at (budget, midrange, gaming, workstation) is USED. Literally the only thing you give up buying used is warranty. In the past 30 years of building, selling, maintaining, refurbishing, and recycling computer hardware, the only failures I have ever come across are from NEW parts (around 5%, which is pretty average). I have never seen a used part fail from normal use. Ever.

In my estimation, used parts may be the best deal in computers. Pay a fraction of the new price.
    Metanis likes this.