Getting into Beta

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Amaranth, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Amaranth New Member

What does it take to be selected for Beta?

Why can't it be open to anyone who wants to participate? Does it really need to be exclusive, and what is the selection criteria used?

Wouldn't it be better for testing purposes if more people were participating?

A lot of my guild members have been selected for Beta, and I'd like to participate with them, but I'm still waiting on that email.
  2. Riou EQResource

It's random, sometimes they have contests you can win to enter, if you were following Phathom on twitter he gave out a bunch of beta invites the other day
  3. Naugrin Augur

Does that seem blatantly wrong to anyone else or is it just me?
  4. Tarrin Augur

Nothing wrong with it to me!

Then again I was one of the people that got a beta invite through the twitter feed~
  5. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Phanthom tweeted that another 1000 invites had gone out, I don't think he sent them personally.
  6. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'm assuming they send them out in batches so the copies can be done and they don't get a backlog.

Phanthom mentioned they would be going out over the course of a couple of weeks, so just because your not in yet doesn't mean you won't get in, in the next batch or the one after....good luck
  7. Conjurous_AB Elder

I got in other day but forgot to do a /beta on my main, did one tuesday but so far toon not been copied over and i don't wanna betabuff a toon to look around
  8. Redex Journeyman

Im not sure of the Beta format for invites, I do seem to get one every year though. Sometimes in the first round, sometimes in the last round, no rhyme or reason that I can tell.
  9. Augok Lorekeeper

From past experience they generally do a copy every week or so .. First thing I always do is betabuff a rogue and go look around see if they broke SoS and things like that
  10. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I do think they select some people for specific reasons. The last several beta's I've been in the same people have gotten in early to. This is due to a few things I think:
    • Long-time players who register for beta the second its posted.
    • Players who are knowledgeable about the game. Ones that know how to read spell data/use spell parsers. IE they can point of bugs to devs that an average joe who doesn't use anything outside of the game client itself wouldn't see. -- This I think they just determine from previous betas "This guy posted 100x and was helpful in debugging some cleric AAs/Spells, make sure to get him in if his account registers"
    • Players who /bug + /feedback + post about certain changes etc.
    • Players who have ins with the devs (I'm sure this point will be disagreed with, but it does happen... and it happened this beta).
    There are different kinds of beta testers also.

There are some, who test every spell and AA, see what the new stuff does and if it is working properly. Check if the old stuff is getting upgraded the proper amount, and making suggestions where applicable.
    There are some, who go out and do every quest, every mission, every named. And bug/feedback those.
    There are some guilds who go in and do every raid before it launches (if they are allowed, if not they do as much as they feasibly are allowed). And bug/feedback those.

I think they try to get a different mix of them all. Getting the 2nd category is probably the hardest thing. Fortunately, we don't have to rely on Rasper's GMpowers anymore for this since the rise of EQResource guys. Hoping they are testing as much as they can in beta :).

Most people fall into the first category I think, or rather they fall into the "I only get in beta to see what my class gains next expansion" or the I open my presents early on christmas category.
  11. Turayalon Lorekeeper

Well I meet that list you have above but I'm Canadian the only reason I can think of I don't have an invite : P
    Athel likes this.
  12. Hatsee Augur

Although you may need to swallow your pride.

Make a twitter account, follow Thom, send him an email (scroll down it's there) and pleasantly ask for an invite, sometime next week you should get in for sure if he's still doing this.
  13. Kathylynn_Unity Augur

Based on your Math and English scores on the SOE Official Beta Tester exam.

Please don't look that up.
  14. Sebbina Augur

You think it is hard to get into Beta, try being a halfling- the new universal enemy- no way will I get an invite, because they are afraid that I will find a way for my kin to take over the world.
    RekMMO likes this.
  15. Cloudia Augur

PSSST! Sebby, don't mention our master plan! The Gnomes are buying in.
  16. Sebbina Augur

You can call me General Sebbina, well, hopefully Colonel Sebbina, or er, uh, Sergeant Sebbina- I know nothing! Sam Napth just sign me up for the halfling conquest.
  17. Mellifleur Augur

I just find this funny.
  18. Nolrog Augur

Basically, you sign up when the link comes out and then they randomly select people for invites. They sent out over 1000 invites last week. More to come when they get back from FF. Just hang in there and I'm sure you'll get in.