General Windows 7 installation issue (Not EQ related) just seeking thoughts

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by EverChanter, Dec 2, 2012.

1. EverChanter Augur

So I bought a new SSD on Cyber Monday and went to install Win7 on it. For some reason my PC did a force restart and now it won't read my keyboard or mouse (so I cannot continue with a repair or install). I've tried with my wireless, and also my corded usb keyboard, neither are usable. Has anyone had this issue? If so, how did you get around this? I bought a new keyboard/mouse to try but since it was wireless it didn't work. I am thinking that I either need a USB to PS2 converter or an old school PS2 keyboard or mouse (which I can only find online for both, no retailers carry those relics anymore).
    Also, I put the SSD into a laptop to install Win7 but I think due to the laptop being an HP and my PC being build (GigaByte MB, i7 processor, Nvidia GeForce GTX 660ti) it keeps trying to repair it.

Any thoughts or someone who has dealt with this before?
  2. Cloudia Augur

Let me get this straight, you did a win7 build on a laptop. Then moved drive to a desktop system and it instantly barfed?
    This is a given, the build creates settings and installs drivers for the specific system it was installed on. It tried to update motherboard drivers and there is such a huge differance it failed. You can swap out a video card, dvd, add a hdd, etc. and the system will attempt to use a generic driver until proper drivers can be loaded. BUT, if you replace the motherboard you have to do a fresh install due to the number of setting and driver changes even from same vendor unless it is a like for like exchange. Even with a like for like there will be some issues due to revisions and bios versions.
    If the desktop system recognizes the drive you should be able to reformat and do a clean install.
    Does the system recognize/support the mouse/keyboard combo in bios? Check that bios is set to support them and hasn't be hard set to only use ps2 keyboard for some odd reason. I'm putting together another i7 right now with a logi 550 wave kit. As I recall I just plugged in the uni dongle and used that keyboard from scratch the last time. I'll let you know if there is an issue doing a clean build on it in the next few days. (BTW) What kinda uberuser are you that you don't have a couple antique keyboards stuffed in the back of a closet?
  3. EverChanter Augur

The laptop and PC had win7 before I got the ssd. I was trying to put win7 on the ssd in the PC to use it as the primary boot, but since I was unable to use the mouse or keyboard I could not progress with the install. After that, I took the ssd and put it in the laptop to install win7. I could put the ssd into the laptop and format and try another fresh install, but don't think I can even access the Bios since I can't key press to get to it.

I've noticed I'm getting a BSOD when trying to load it on the PC, but since there was a forced reboot it tries to repair the regular hard drive with win7 on it as well. I know the plug and play stuff has to install drivers and from what I remember the old ps2 mouses and keyboards were instant usable, which is why I was wondering if someone had experience with that.

Not sure if the MB disc would auto launch the Bios or not.
  4. Cloudia Augur

I take it that prior to swapping in the SSD you were already using this wireless mouse/keyboard combo without any issue? or was it not supporting the keyboard until after the OS loaded? The wireless magic is all on the dongle, the system could not care less how information gets from your fingertips to the i/o port. Laser Beam, Jungle Drum, Carrier Pigeon, or Cable as long as the system "knows" how to handle a device of that type on the port it does not matter.
    If the system bios supports a usb keyboard, then it *should* be available from scratch. If the system wont support a usb keyboard until after it loads a software driver you are SOL.
    Most of my current systems support a USB keyboard either as default or an option slected in bios.I have both mouse and keyboard available at boot to enter and manage bios. (Sitting here trying to remember if anything has had an issue with a usb keyboard recently.)
    About all you would be able to do loading any hdd in a disimillar system would be to partition format and copy base files to a data partition. The build configures drivers and loads required drivers and components based on current to it hardware.

Okay this sounds like the system is having issues with the SSD among other things. if you completely remove the ssd and reset desktop as it was prior to that point it *should* run checkdisk to correct file errors then return to operation unless several files got damaged or ovewrwritten.
    I will be replaceing a slow sata hdd as boot device in one of my systems as part of upgrade cycle real soon. But that will be by means of cloning the old drive to the new one swapping them and rebooting. I will expect it to run with little or no problem other than loading ssd related software for drive management/optimization after it is up and running.
    If I start seeing BSODs with the new drive as the only change in hardware, my diagnostics will focus on the drive.
  5. EverChanter Augur

Yes the keyboard and mouse were functioning fine before the force restart, and the MB is a very recent make and has supported all my usb/wireless stuff up until this point. The issue I am facing is; even if I remove the SSD and attempted to repair the regular boot HD, I'm still running into the issue with being able to use a keyboard or mouse. If I don't have access to those, I can't do anything (repair, install, wipe the HDs) so I am just trying to figure out what I can possible do to get to a point where I can once again work on any of those issues.
  6. Cloudia Augur

With the SSD removed the system still will not recognize usb mouse/keyboard? Have you tried using a different port for them, and are they on a unified dongle ala logitech or taking 2 ports?
    If this is a unified dongle it may have failed, it happens sometimes. if they are discrete and wont work in any port check on a different system to verify that they are working. You can hope it is just failed input devices, otherwise you somehow damaged mobo during drive install. This could be ESD or brushing a loose cap or other component offf the PCD with a dragged cable or dropped tool.
    With he system returned to prior configuration and input devices no longer working something has failed. System could have generated a hard reset at the point of failure.
    That said we have ventured out of the general realm of support for EQ. We could continue this under offtopic if you so desire, but we need to duck before thread gets locked.