Gear for mid-90s chanter?

Discussion in 'Casters' started by HotDiggity, Jun 21, 2014.

1. HotDiggity New Member

If you know of a good thread or article, a link would be fine. I'm not finding anything on search.

I'm halfway through level 93. It's time to upgrade my gear, but outside of bazaar search, I'm not sure where to find good gear for my level that will help me get to 100. I've gotten a couple of drops here and there in Grounds or Valley, but mostly I'm still wearing Heroic gear.

How & Where does one upgrade their gear nowadays? I'm All-Access / all expansions.
  2. Ayoheee Augur

Buy fear touched (google rain of fear armor guide for instructions on how to finish it off) in the Baz or Lucid from the level 90 marks of valor vendor in Ethernere Tainted West Karana
    HotDiggity likes this.
  3. Jordis Augur

When I returned a year ago at 92 I got most of the good group drops in Shard's Landing and related zones. I still see quite a bit of it when boxing lower level alts, with some very nice level 98 items that can be set aside from trash and named mobs. A lot of the group tasks and missions drop good pieces as well.

Allakazam is a good resource for checking out gear and getting information. The following links give an overview of the Rain of Fear Armor and the Call of the Forsaken Armor.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Rain_of_Fear_Armor_Guide
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Call_of_the_Forsaken_Armor_Guide
  4. Crystilla Augur

Hot Diggity, what server are you on?
  5. silku Augur

92 Fear touched, RoF drops.
    95 - Can start buying armor in Ethermere from the 95th level vendor
    then at 100 get the latent ether from the level 100 vendor.

If you're on the rathe send me a tell. (I'll either be on Jehmal or Rafik)
  6. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I wouldn't worry about gear beyond current-level focus effects, and clickies that will still be useful at max level. I believe an Enchanter functions just fine naked.

We have plenty of runes to more than make up for low hitpoints. It's easy to max stats and resists, not that they seem to do much. The other stats on gear seem unimportant to our primary functions.

I consider myself fully-operational with just 6% of my clothed mana pool, so I imagine I'd have plenty of mana naked too. As is, I feel forced to nuke in order not to waste mana.

I would just work on leveling to 100, and lots of AAs before I gave a thought to gear if I were where you are. If you need a focus, get whatever piece is easiest/cheapest rather than worry about stats, and move on. In fact, I'd try to do HAs as the Marks of Valor can be saved for spells and level 100 gear.
  7. Random_Enchanter Augur

Gear for enchanters isn't as important as it is for other classes. That being said, it is still relative to obtain better gear but not as much as one would think it should, nor the type that you would think is good for a caster class. As an enchanter your going to want to typically focus on Heroic Agility and HP/AC on a piece of gear. As to which you value more depends on your personal view over the 'avoid it' or 'take it' topic that plagues the tank classes. You'll encounter this more as you hit 100 and level up AAs or start to raid and since your not 100 yet I will leave it at that.

That all being said, you have several choices for gear.
    Visible stuff amount to;
    Lv 92 for fear touched stuff,
    Lv 95-100 for the COTF Mark of valor bought stuff,
    Lv 95 for Culturally crafted armor
    Lv 100 for crafted COTF stuff

Non-visible amount to;
    Bazaar buy-able stuff (level variant)
    lv 95 for crafted COTF JC stuff (decent but no 2edary stats)
    Lv 95-100 for the COTF Mark of valor bought stuff,

I personally would wait until lv 95 / 100 and then get the crafted chain COTF stuff while doing HA's and saving marks for the non-visible slots. This should put you in a fairly good position to upgrade as needed for both money and slots.
  8. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I'm curious how much hAgi it takes to make a noticeable difference. I get that we don't need anything else on our gear, so maybe with more hAgi we'll get missed more, and thus get stunned less, or have our spells interrupted less, and heck we'll take less damage too...in theory.

But how much more hAgi does a complete hAgi junky have than I do, me being someone who all but ignores hAgi? 100? 150?

What do you think a parse would show as the difference?

The reason I bring this up is that I believe that, while it may make sense for someone who plays a ton, and has otherwise maximized his/her Enchanter to chase a few hAgi here and there, most Enchanters, especially those who don't even play enough to get to max level 3 expansions ago, would be better off either ignoring gear, or chasing useful clickies.
  9. silku Augur

I started noticing a difference around +100 hAgi, +200 I started noticing that I could go without runes sometimes and not die. At my current level, I can actually tank most blue/white mobs in HAs with a cleric merc healing me, and not die (without runes.) Which is part of what annoyed me so much about the nerf to our runes. The runes alone weren't making people tank.

I disagree with the notion that we don't need gear though. I'm one of those people that considers it my job to keep myself alive, and to lessen the burden on healers. AEs, dots, etc.. are gonna still hit us, and sometimes go through our runes (dots always do). It's my job to have enough shielding, etc to keep from distracting a healer during a named fight. (I also carry healing potions and use our heal gem when I need to, specially on pick up raids.)
  10. Random_Enchanter Augur

That is the same question that tank classes face (and one or two others with Hstr, and Hdex). What we have been told that Hagi does is the following;
    Every 25 points yeilds 1% dodge increase
    Every X points yeilds Y rAC. I dont recall the numbers but Dzarn spoiled it works out to be something like 15 agi yeilds 1 rAC (he calls it migitation AC)
    we dont know the exact effect as we dont know the combat forumulas.

Im sitting at ~ 475 no tribute and got nuff gear upgrades to get that to ~525, but thats consentrating on HAgi over HP. What do you have?

in theroy you should see a lower average DI value. At the minimum you should see a higher miss/dodge rate. The problem lies in that I know of no place to go and reliably take relevent hits and parse them with out having to respawn. Runetanking would not help much as a DI parse is unable to be obtained from this. I know from first hand experiance that it does help (or i get realy lucky a lot) as I have ended up taking ~4 rounds from COTF T2 bosses and remaining alive. though that brings up more questions than it answers.

Agreed, however at some point in the life of an enchanter main, you get to the point where the next possible upgrade is gear and only gear. No sence in not trying to cover that now.
  11. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

I have 251. HAgi is the last stat that I actually consider on my gear.

So, 225 hAgi difference would be 9% more Dodge, but if I understand correctly, it would not be 9% less damage taken, but rather that we'll Dodge 9% more than we otherwise would, which isn't much. In other words, if we Dodge 15% naked (and I'd be surprised if it were that high), your 225 hAgi yields 1.35% more avoidance.

You additionally get ~15 rAC which is around 45 displayed AC.

I'm not saying that's nothing, but recall the effort of increasing hAgi by 225, and you'll see why I say it's not worth the effort for the vast majority of players, specifically the OP who is currently level 93, and can be reasonably presumed to not play much as s/he is 3 years behind in levels.
  12. Ming New Member

Every time I read a enchanter post my head hurts from the numbers being brought to light. HAgi thou is a nice stat to focus on for most all classes. Your ac returns will be marginal for being a silky but still helpful nontheless. Balance of hp and Hagi is was I chase these days.

Peace out,
    Ming
  13. Brohg Augur

Not my interpretation. I, for instance, pretty recently had a 93 wizard (see .sig) . It's not because I don't play :p
    silku likes this.
  14. Random_Enchanter Augur

right but no reason to not put the info here for reference, besides s/he might want to start taking the builds into consideration.
  15. Mykaylla Augur

Hi HotDiggity.

I don't know if you're All-Access or not, but I'm going to assume you are. At your level, most of the best options are non-prestige anyway- midway through a 5 level block is a sweet spot like that. If you're not All-Access, there's only some very minor changes.
    I'm also presuming you're not raiding any time soon.

Ear: Alaran Beads, Onyx Crescent, Yetarr's Fine Dangle if you're one point off Heroic Agility increment of 25.
    *BONUS* Revamped Castle Mistmoore and Nagafen's Lair should be returning in the foreseeable future. Enchanters are GOLDEN in both of these zones, so if you can organize a group there, or join a group there, look for a Diamondine Earring there. It is Prestige.
    Face: Visage of the Prophet or Gemmed Bauta Mask.
    *BONUS* Bloodstone Eyepatch or Polished Mithril Mask from Mistmoore and SolB.
    Neck: Overseer's Bindings or Corrupted Dragonthrall Bone Necklace.
    *BONUS* Petrified Erudite Heart Amulet from SolB.
    Shoulders: Frost Spikes Pauldrons or Fey Swam Shawl.
    *BONUS* Crested Spaulders from Mistmoore.
    Back: Yetarr's Stonewall Cloak or Enraged Spirits Veil.
    *BONUS* Hooded Black Cloak from Mistmoore.
    *EXTRA BONUS* Ancient Cloak of Flames from SolB (random zonewide rare).
    Waist: The Fabled's Cincture or Chained Stalag Runes of Salik.
    *BONUS* Stonefang Belt or Wrathful Wrap from Mistmoore and SolB.
    Finger: Burdensome Pall, Sable Band of the Wastes, Infinity Loop, Stone Hand of Torgud.
    *BONUS* Platinum Skull Ring, Djarns Amethyst Ring, Mistmoore Signet Ring, from SolB and Mistmoore.
    *EXTRA BONUS* Crested Mistmoore Ring from Mistmoore (random zonewide rare).
    Primary (2hander): Velium Staff of Obliteration.
    Primary (1hander): Ry'Gorr Ceremonial Dagger.
    *BONUS* Staff of Writhing, Sacrificial Dagger from SolB and Mistmoore.
    Secondary: Dreadful Visage.
    *BONUS* Rokyls Channeling Crystal from SolB.
    Range: Baneice Globe or Sway of the Canine.
    *BONUS* Code of Zan Fi from SolB.
    Charm: Charm of the Crystal Circle. You can buy all the crystals you need to max this faction in the bazaar, if you don't want to farm them (they drop frequently enough in RoF)

Visible slots: Boreal X of Compulsion enchanter armour, made from Fear Touched tradeable drops.

I've listed the highest heroic agility options, highest AC options, highest hit point options, and equal highest spell damage options in each of those slots. Everything in the standard list is non-prestige, and all save the charm are attunable.
    HotDiggity likes this.
  16. HotDiggity New Member

My being 93 is not being 3 years behind, it's just relative to when the char was created. (I just returned after being gone since 2004)

I'm not really seeing a good reason to not upgrade my gear. Once the runes are smacked off, I'm at risk. And being 94, I'm often in situations where my spells don't work because the mobs are too high level. I got killed last night when Dir. Banishment failed, for example. All it takes is one lvl 100 person in our HA. Same with having to use Placid Issuance because my mez and regular calm spells don't work on lvl 100 mobs. For some reason, PI generates a lot of hate and after a minute or so they come charging out at me and I have to withstand a few hits while I knock them back and root them. Runes don't always last long enough, or maybe I'm not optimally stacking them. (I'll have to experiment with that)

Thanks for all the info -- I've upgraded to Fear-Touched for now. I'll probably ding 95 this coming weekend, but I doubt I'll upgrade my gear right away. More likely I'll save up my Marks for awhile.
    silku likes this.
  17. Jordis Augur

I don't see how a parse would help, it's not adding to dps, it's avoiding damage. Take a look at Combat Agility AA: Requirements: Level: 100, No previous ability requirements
    The first three ranks ol this ability increase your melee damage avoidance by 2, 5
    and 10 percent Additional ranks Further increase this effect.

During the discussions on "Enchanter Tanking" I went back to some of the logs and realized that I was dodging, or being missed four out of ten hits. I am assuming that being missed is also related to the agility since it became more apparent when the agility was raised and AA were added in that area as I leveled up beginning with the first innate AA stat raise. I think it was more noticeable then because the equipment wasn't the All/All that it tends to be now which includes agility along with other melee type stats.
  18. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

OK, so if you're getting missed 40% of the time, I'll take a stab in the dark at breaking that down a bit:

5% is a hard-coded baseline. Everything gets hit 5% of the time, no matter what, and everything misses 5% of the time which harkens back to D&D d20 rolls where a 20 was a hit and a 1 a miss.
    Put those together and, you have 5.25%.
    I imagine the lion's share of the rest is from your AC and CA and Planar Power, right?
    Then there's Block, Staff Block or the shield equivalent AA add a bit more.
    Dodge skill, I imagine, adds less than Block since we have Staff Block.
    HAgi is in there somewhere, but I'm happy trading it for Spell Damage and such.

Now, that 4 out of 10 hits, is that Raids, PoWar, or Gribble Grobblenobber?
  19. Random_Enchanter Augur

which why you take a parse. Granted its not the type of parse most people are familair with as its not of your damage but rather of the mobs damage on you.

This is an example of a hit rate parse, something that due to runes enchanters are VERY good at doing.

Check the tank forums or any of the 'nerf pets' threads and you should see a parse of DI spread. Add in miss and block into the DI spread and you have an incomming melee damage parse, which is what can currently be obtained to make a deterimantion of effectivity between HAgi, AC and HPs.
    To truly make this deterination of Hagi Vs AC Vs raw HPs under current information, we would need to have at least a 3 hour parse (to negate RNG) with a player geared for Hagi, then again (same player preferably) geared for AC and have them take the hits with out runes though out the entire parse.
    Or the devs could spoil the combat fourmla for determining miss, hit and DI value of hit.
  20. Random_Enchanter Augur

Just did some aprox number crunching, it seems that by taking HAgi over HP/AC you gain ~ 10 computed defence, and 2k mana. By going HP/AC over HAgi you gain ~10 rAC and ~2k hps on current top tier gear. Assuming you go with the same aug set.

So it boils down to two questions; "What is belived to cause less damaging incomming, rAC or Computed defence?" And "Does the small difference realy make a difference?"