Gate/Portal failure message update

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Draego, Mar 30, 2014.

1. Draego Augur

Please for the love of...........

Change the failure message. I cannot say how pissed off it can make someone to be the casting porter class and get a failure message. Not just talking from a personal stance, because my wife takes it a bit more harshly than I do, which in turn makes me laugh about the subject.

Anyways, would it kill you Devs to recode the message to entail some smart-a**ed comment like the following:

In a brief momentary lapse of concentration, your portal/gate collapses severing your (pick a body part - Monty Python humor here "It's just a flesh wound") hand, but you have a feeling you know where you can retrieve it.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to more S.A. comments from other players......maybe we can turn this thread into one unending LOL fest.
  2. Edrick Augur

Really?
    Romance likes this.
  3. Feradach Augur

If getting a failure message pisses you off, I'd suggest taking a break from playing for awhile.
  4. Stubar Augur

This one time, I played EQ and was in CC. Orcs started to over run my group, the porter casted evac and his portal failed, we all died. We laughed and laughed and did the looooong a$$ corpse run.
    UncleUms likes this.
  5. Moklianne Augur

"Your portal fails...nearby brownies and fairies point and laugh in your direction."

It could check your alcohol tolerance to see if its high:
    "Your portal fails...perhaps a little less time at the bar instead of working on skills would help?"

"Your portal fails...you chuckle and play it off like you meant to do that. "I was just testing the spell to see if it works in this area..yeah.' "

In general, I'd like to see EQ make fun of us more in a per character way.
    Fanra, Axxius and Draego like this.
  6. Draego Augur

I hope you wind up having your ports or evacs leave you as much as I have seen lately......

There is NO reason an AA evac or casted Evac should ever take the whole group except for the caster.......

Caster gets a collapsed portal then the whole group should fail and die.......
  7. Edrick Augur

In Everquest, you die, and you deal with it. It's incredibly easy to deal with now with corpse summoner NPCs.

I don't know what else there is to say. This attitude has worked for me in the thousands of deaths I've had throughout playing the game.
  8. Draego Augur

It really doesn't surprise me how a couple of select people would rather turn a thread into a issue about ranting and bickering, rather than accept it for what it is worth.....

Did you ever think that the real point was to do exactly as Moklianne has done above and kept up with the humor end of it??? If not, then we really can see who needs to take some time off from the game........

Now back on point:

"Deciding to sacrifice yourself, you have opted to allow your portal to close upon you, while your group is now safe... YOU ARE DEAD!

Returning to spawn point.... LOADING, PLEASE WAIT!!!"
    Fanra likes this.
  9. Harabakc Augur

It's pretty annoying to piss away a gate potion because of a gate failure.
    Sharpshooter and Pirouette like this.
  10. Draego Augur

Exactly, in those instances rather than being told "Your portal has collapsed" I would much rather see some sort of comical message to at least brighten the mood.
  11. Romance Augur

Amusing lines coded into a failed gate would be amusing for about 5 minutes, then they would cease to be amusing and you'd wish you had a standard failure message.

Did you ever think peoples opinions might differ from your own?

It doesn't improve gameplay enough to warrant an actual change imho, and would likely get more attention from people who think it's a bad idea than would be wanted.

As for failed gates, EQ has been watered down enough already. It doesn't need to be easier.
  12. Ratbo Peep Augur

Some people didn't even comprehend that it was about the humor - not the failed gates.
    And I agree that a botched gate potion - ought not to expend the reagent.
    -Rat
  13. Draego Augur

I enjoy all the random comments on the loading screen as well, so wouldn't bother me (and I know I am not the only one) one bit to see some funny message explaining to me why my gate failed to work.

Everyone has one, just like everyone has their own hole, they all stink. Doesn't matter if someone's opinion is different, doesn't bother me one bit. What does bother me is when people have to start trying to attack a posting just to make themselves feel better.

Ok we get it not everyone has a sense of humor, doesn't mean that you need to come here and harsh on the mellow.

"Your portal has collapsed and left you stranded in what appears to be a brothel, it is only now that you realize that all your gear is missing, and you are stadning in your small clothes. Apparently you have become the main act, thanks to your botched port."
    Fanra likes this.
  14. Coltraine Journeyman

Last night my bard drank three placebo gate pots in a row. I took out my frustration on my *cough* "master alchemist" shaman box. His "gate" worked fine, thank you. :)

Gate failures drive me up a wall, but I was mildly impressed by the string of three. What's MegaMillons up to?
    Pirouette likes this.
  15. Pirouette Augur

I swear at some point the portal failures randomly went up by like tenfold. I don't even recall my ports failing when I played a druid pre-Luclin. I may not have been particularly attentive but I imagine I would remember getting irritated at it as much as I do now. I can't tell you how many times I've raged at evac failing for only my druid and none of the rest of the group...

Just FYI, Secondary/Tertiary/and Teleport Bind can all fail too, and those are all on substantial cooldowns (and yes, they do go on cooldown). They also go on cooldown if the teleport succeeded, but for whatever reason the zone was blocked to you (common after a fresh patch). Now THAT is frustrating. I think any spell/ability that has an RNG of failing only like, 5% of the time or less is pretty stupid anyway, it's reliable enough to be RELIED on so it shouldn't fail. But anyway, I don't really care if it stays, but at least make it stop consuming portal reagants (gate potions etc) and cooldowns.
    Draego and Yinla like this.
  16. Naugrin Augur

totally agree w this.......specifically on secondary and tertiary recall.....drives me nuts.
    Pirouette likes this.
  17. Sharpshooter Lorekeeper

In evacuate type spells (including things like succor: butcherbock and evacuate: north (back in the day we used it alot and it was a PITA when someone got left behind) in addition to evacuate, succor and exodus) have a chance of leaving people behind. If you want to get technical about it if your own portal collapses on you just imagine yourself as holding it open and you get pwned before you manage to jump through.
  18. Draego Augur

Once again someone who cannot seem to focus on what the thread really was started about, but this one I will address.

As Pirouette stated above in the Pre-Luclin era, I also DO NOT recall a gate or portal ability EVER failing on the caster. So not sure how far back in the day you are referencing, but I doubt that the era you are refering to matches the memories of many Druid and Wizard (or any other gate casting class)mains from the Pre-Luclin era.

Before the Auto Grant of AAs going live, AA forms of Gate, Exodus, Egress and Secondary/Tertiary Bind SHOULD NEVER HAVE FAILED, they were AA abilities that you had to purchase by expending Experience on in order to gain. Now with that being said, in the World of EQ today SOE can viably argue that due to the Auto Grant of AAs you no longer have to purchase some of these AAs and therefore the reasoning for them collapsing is justifiable (in SOEs mind only), but again this is OFF POINT.

Getting back on point:
    "Due to being such a newb to the realm of porting/gating, your portal has opened into the heart of the Norrath Sun. You may want to consider putting on SPF 1million quickly."

"Your lack of solid knowledge of where you were attempting to port to, has created a void sucking all your gear through it, leaving you standing cold, confused, and naked; while staring down a thousand hungry orcs."
    Pirouette and Andarriel like this.
  19. SaderakhBertox Augur

In your drunken stupor, you silly dwarf, you've managed to open a gate portal above your head, and just out of reach. Maybe next time, pack a gnome to stand on.
    Fanra, Moklianne and Draego like this.
  20. Moklianne Augur

"Your portal failed to open...perhaps next time you should click your heals together three times, or perhaps take lessons from her..."
    Draego likes this.