GamParse, TBL, and You

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Dec 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You're wrong. A large number of people care about backwards compatibility. We don't need a parser "now". He's not trying to make money off it...

And honestly, you're being an .
    Sancus, Tatanka, Pirlo and 3 others like this.
  2. Belexes ForumQuester

You are giving your generation a bad name. Stop it. Never fear, the game works without a parser. Luckily for you, Beimeith will likely be a bigger person and continue his unselfish efforts to give players a great tool we can use in spite of your sense of entitlement. Grow the Hades up kid.
    Pirlo and Reht like this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

[IMG]
    Scornfire, Prothion, Ryino and 2 others like this.
  4. Ceffener Augur

Then it would be built in to the game or the bigger community would have created more than one parser. Instead a single person has what you want and has no life obligation to do anything.

You want a working parser, make one.
  5. Vizier Augur

This was the only rage reply that I wanted to address, because dammit I love hardcore games and I don't want this game ANY easier than it already is. Id be happy to link comments I made when the millenials were QQing about TBL difficulty week 1 of its launch. The parser doesn't make the game easier, it a learning tool that provides scientific data to an area that absolutely needs it.

I like the game to have hardcore type challenges and game play, but I dont want to backdate the UI to project 1999 era either. The parser is a tool that the community has been using for many years. If this guy dumps his support tomorrow necessity would prompt another, far inferior, version to appear in due course.

Of course this whole problem / conversation will be immediately solved and forgotten by 99% once he eventually releases the next version...until the next time DBG changes something and the cycle begins anew. History repeats itself in the future.
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, let's all agree Vizier is acting like an ***. But this reply is beyond stupid.

What generation, exactly? People born between 1925 and 2002? Basically, the whole world? You do realize older people play this game, right?

First of all, you don't even know how old he is. And even if you do, WE DON'T. So, there's no way to cast aspersions on a particular generation, because nobody knows how old he is.

Second, enough with the stupid identity politics and group think. Stupid, sh***y behavior reflects badly on nobody BUT the person exhibiting the behavior.
    Daedly likes this.
  7. took2summit11 Augur

Pirlo likes this.
  8. Ceffener Augur

But she most likely got the $250k G-Wagon and still doesn’t have a job. Maybe she’s on to something.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I don't know how many times I can say it before it will sink in.

The delay was/is not caused by the changes to EQ.

I've had the new lines parsing almost as soon as they were on Beta. It's not super hard to write a regex to match a line from a log file.

The delay is because the program itself was badly written and it needed to be redone. Things were inaccurate and way slower than they should be. The fact that my current version is almost ~50% faster in loading one of my test logs should speak for itself as to how bad it was before. (No offense meant to Gam here, he was just learning programming and he also didn't know as much about EQ as I do).

If all I'd done was make it read the new logs it would still have been inaccurate and slow and I see no point in doing that.
    Tatanka, Pirlo and Belexes like this.
  10. Belexes ForumQuester

Whatever generation he is in, he is giving them a bad name. Could be mine, which is Baby Boomer. I never implied any particular generation, just the one he is part of. Read better, post less.

Regardless, his post deserved my response. I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

I am anti-identity and anti-group think, that is why I told him to stop. He is acting like those types.

Sorry I made you so defensive. :)
  11. Vizier Augur

Going against all of you kiss is group think? How?

The guy needs some tough love. None of you have the courage to do it so I said it.
  12. Vizier Augur

Then you release a working version that was available since beta and work your "final product" in the interim. If the software was a paid product (really wish it was) then you would never suspend service while you iterate.
  13. Ceffener Augur

Yeah being an to someone over their free software because your unhappy with their level of support, makes you so brave and strong.

When is your free parser coming out? I think your development skills suck and you should have a beta linked to us by tonight.

Just some tough love you need to hear.
    Tucoh and Belexes like this.
  14. Belexes ForumQuester

No, he doesn't need your love. He doesn't have to do any of this. It is totally his prerogative to do it how he pleases. He is not selling a product to a customer. He has no obligation whatever to people who choose to use this...FREE OF CHARGE.

Yes, you are pretty much the lone dissenter on this forum about this subject...which is telling.

I was referring to Tatanka's post where he accused me of labeling you as a "certain" generation...which I did not do. I just said "your" generation...whatever that might be. He is talking about how some people bag on certain generations or political alignment. That is what group thinkers and identity political types do.

Maybe you're just an embarrassment to your parents. :)
  15. Vizier Augur

I fully accept its totally ungrateful, I said so with my initial comment. That said, I currently have no avenue to PAY for a parser software!The new version however DOES let you donate to Patreon. So hes getting money for it now (mine for sure). That pretty much opens the door for complaints when sht doesnt work perfect...
  16. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Its.
    Not.
    Accurate.

When it is (or I think it is at least) It will be made available.

Idk what kind of paid software you buy, but I'm generally pretty annoyed if I find out I paid for software that doesn't work like it's supposed to. But that's just me (and apparently everyone else here besides you it seems).

The parser is a glorified calculator. Do you want a calculator that doesn't do math correctly or one that does? I know which one I prefer.

I don't need nor want your love. Besides, I kind of thrive on hate and tears, haven't you ever read these forums? They only make me stronger.
    Mintalie, Sokki, Pirlo and 2 others like this.
  17. Vizier Augur

Well then A I am definitely helping the effort! /cheers

You can't have it both ways. On one hand you say it's super easy to adapt to the new changes DBG made to the log and that you had that set up since beta, then you turn around and say it's not accurate and has taken a ton of work to re-write.

Well which is it? If it was hard to re-write, a valid solution is open sourcing the project. Face it you are going to have to at some point anyway. And if it wasn't hard to adapt to DBG changes then you should have put out the temp fix for the public to use.
  18. Zanarnar Augur

Your not brave, your just a jerk. Why don't you write one, release it free of charge, and support it then? Your just lucky Beimeith is nicer then me.. I'd make sure that it ALWAYS reported incorrect data for anyone named "Vizier". (of course that's probably not your characters name either, I'd guess your cowering behind a semi-anonymous forum handle)

If you want to use the existing code base, but have it pick up the new crit/etc messages take those strings provided earlier in this thread and write your own log parser that fixes those lines and re-writes a new log file in real time, and aim GamParse at that new log file. It will work as well as it did before the change to the EQ log format.. which is to say it worked but not nearly as accurately or quickly as it should.

FWIW I wrote an app that does just that, but in no way would I share it with you; and really its not something I'd even share w/ the general public as they'd be STUPID to run an exe provided by some random internet jerk. I will say its not that hard though, the little app I have doing it is maybe 200 lines of code... so get to it and stop crying here.
    Khazad likes this.
  19. Tolzol Augur

But it’s not a paid product it’s something he does in his free time and does not have to do at all. You really do sound like a stupid right now. And I’d hardly say you have “courage” for telling him to hurry up. Like everyone else has already said if you don’t like it make your own parser. If your not capable of that then just shut the hell up and wait like everyone else.
  20. Ceffener Augur

Why?

If the community wants an open sourced parser, the community has had 20 years to make one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.