GamParse 1.0.4

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Beimeith, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tornicade_IV Augur

Id like to see the log search set up as a table . if not by dates then a number column with entries. its often very time consuming to scroll from the beginning of the fight to the end. being able to reverse the entries would be helpful since i am often looking for the most recent entries not the earliest ones.

it would also be nice if the chat option screen had a find or a CTL F fuction to search through the text displayed.
  2. Kreacher Augur

Honestly , is MS really using sDPS. How are your fellow guild members finding it?

Seriously it's embrassing.

It embrassing to you. It's embrassing to your guild.

The features you list good. I'm sure many guilds would love a copy /paste random of high/low. Great thinking. That is what gets you acknowledge and downloads. Changing to sDPS ONLY onto exported to the clipboard does not do that.

Don't make me use my 50plat to buy you out !
  3. Ronthorn Oakenarm Augur

These would all be extremely helpful, Thanks for the work on Gamparse
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Gimagukk New Member

Just a clarification -- The timestamp in the log file only has 1 second granularity (i.e., it does not include milliseconds), but data is written to the log file as soon as it arrives today. Just going on the description of the log file change in the patch message and not having tested it personally, I would assume setting it to 0 would be the same functionality as today.
  5. Brogett Augur

The ideal scenario is scaled dps for the portion of the fight that the bulk of the players have engaged over. So if a mob is offtanked for 1 min and burnt for 30 sec then the scaled dps should be computed as the damage done in that 30sec portion divided by 30sec.

However, it's very hard to get this right. Imagine we have someone who engages after 55sec and so has a burn of 35sec instead. Clearly their damage done divided by 30 is also misleading, and worse it encourages people to jump the gun and not wait for assist. So for dps calculation both damage done and time have to be extracted from a specific portion of the mob, based on some internal algorithm. I can see that throwing up all sorts of oddities on specific encounters, especially the stop/start kind. Perhaps something like:

1) Sort by damage done, throw away the bottom 50% (say). This helps keep it "real" if a large portion died.
    2) Find the engagement times and average.
    3) Reject times that are more than 10% outside the average (ie outliers) and recompute the average of those remaining again. This is now the master start/stop time for the subsequent steps.
    3) Recompute the damage done by all the players during that master start/stop time and from that their scaled dps.
    4) Display the original raw total damage done, but with their new scaled dps.

I suspect there will be exceptions and places this just plain breaks though. Hence why most just use raw dps. It may be confusing at times, but overall it's pretty bullet proof (you know what you're getting) and if sorted by damage done then it pretty much works out fine.
  6. Ranpha Augur

I'd like to upgrade, but I also won't as the scaled dps is not so useful.

The result is already ordered by who did the most damage. The scaled DPS number will be in the same order and adds nothing more of value, where it previously atleast gave an indication of how fast that damage was delivered.
    Gumlakx likes this.
  7. Langya Augur

Its no big deal, unless the intent is that sDPS becomes the new law of the land. Why that needs to be...who knows. I am sure there is some solid mathematical/theorycrafting reason for it beyond Beimeith exercising even more influence on the game than he currently does.
  8. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Is there some trick to getting the parser to pick up fights between PCs?
    SaderakhBertox likes this.
  9. SaderakhBertox Augur

Now that'd be a reason to load up a 2nd version of gamparse ;)
  10. feiddan Augur

Thank you, Beimeth, for your work on this project!

It takes some thick skin to take on the EQ playerbase and implement any sort of change - kudos!
  11. Fenudir Augur

True to his word, Beimeith came into my vent and we had a very good talk.

After spending some time talking about 1.0.4 and seeing what he's doing, I can tell you that I'm pretty happy with what he's doing. It looks good. I don't see any reason for anyone to complain about the dps output at this point.
  12. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's almost like I know what I'm doing. Almost.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenudir like this.
  13. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Stop lying to yourself :D
  14. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

As someone who has played a shaman in a primarily healing role on raids, I'd love a better heal parser to show you your overall heals & who you healed & how much for each. The way it is now you have to manually add everything up & hope it caught everything which is tedious & may be slightly inaccurate & no way to link it either which means it can't be proven without sending your log to someone.
  15. Brogett Augur

A few wishes.

1) Make the graphes of damage output scaleable so if we have long parses it doesn't get all unreadable.
    1a) Eg Hits, pierce, normal => either readible or unreadible chart depending on length.
    1b) Total dmg done by player => Y axis can be unreadible if they have a few high damage hits (eg monk kick). The axis needs to auto-scale with suitable intervals instead of merging into one mass.

2) Provide a way to display the graph in a tabular value,count form - for subsequent parse analysis.

3) A manual way to split a fight in two at a specific time point. Ie make a sub-fight.

Keep up the good work Beimeith. Looking forward to it.
  16. Delbaeth Elder

Pardon please if this has been answered already but is the source shareable? I would try my hand at a new graph or two and offer patches if they come out nice.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not at this time. I did add improvements to the graphs to the list of things to fix/improve though.

I'm not the only one working on it, a few people have already volunteered to help, but I'll leave it up to them if they want to say who they are.
  18. Harabakc Augur

Admirable effort, kudos for that. If scaled is the way you want to go I'll stick with 1.0.3 though. It does what I want from it.
  19. Serriah_Test Augur

You guys don't like how Gamparse is coded, code your own parser.

If you think long and hard about it, scaled DPS is the only DPS that matters for an encounter (which is the time interval that gamparse uses).

Raw DPS is used to isolate an instance, or several instances in one time constant, and is only useful for a post-fight analysis. (eg: start of burn to end of burn). It's something you do after you win and log off to see where you can improve.

You use the scaled DPS numbers to act as a flag to whether or not you dig in and do a post-processing parse.

So as an SK, I hit 1st spire only (for simplicity)

Time_Interval_1_Start = Document.getFirstString.match("First Spire").getTime();
    Time_Interval_1_End = Document.getFirstString.match("First Spire Fades").getTime();

InstanceTime = Time_Interval_1_End - Time_Interval_1_Start;

SpireDamage = Document.get(Time_Interval1_Start, Time_Inteval1_End).getMyDamage();

SpireDPS = SpireDamage / (InstanceTime)

System.out(/gu Serriah's Burn DPS = SpireDPS (SpireDamage)s over (InstanceTime)s :::: Starting at (Time_Interval_1_Start)s and ending at (Time_Interval_1_End)s);

output: Serriah's Burn DPS = 10k (1000k) over (100)s ::: Starting at (300)s and ending at (400)s

Done-didily-un.
    Post-processing analysis for a single cool-down.

Scaled DPS is the way to go for end of encounter reports in real-time. You'll find your guild will tighten up a lot more and get much better at an encounter the more you use it.

Learning to post-process will allow you to tweak your encounters AFTER you log out and be able to schedule each group's tasks more efficiently.

Crap, you could output it to an HTML table for the forums, or excel worksheet as an attachment and distribute the task schedule to each guild member.

You could take your best wizard's burn and make that into a subtask for each new wizard to follow....

But what do I know?

I should code this up and sell it... but I have no patience to make software usable by other people :p

But you get me, right?
    Scaled DPS is the ONLY dps that matters in /gu.

If Serriah only had 2k dps for a 2 minute fight where we all jump in at 10 seconds in.... yeah... tell her to stop watching netflix ;)
  20. Tornicade_IV Augur

I would like to see under tanking player list.
    Raw mob DPS.(non scaled)
    Damage per attempt= total damage taken/Swings(attempts).

The Usefulness of this number is quick snapshot comparisons of the overall Tanking
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.