Game Update: Thursday, October 10 @ 6am PDT

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Piestro, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Leeanni Elder

If you have a gym membership and something needs repair and the gym has to be closed, they will NOT open it until everything is safe, tested, and ready for people to use. So that was a bad analogy. If EQ is not going to work properly, we want them to get it right so that when we log on, the bugs are not there. Yes, this was my day off, but I am doing other things and checking in regularly to see the progress.
  2. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Since you mention it, I've seriously considered investing in a Mac just to be able to play on the EQ Mac server for this specific reason. :)

Have fun, everybody.
  3. medipack New Member

@Jreafman Maybe they forgot to do something when they were two hours early and it caused this.

If you paid someone to code you a website and it took them 3 times longer than in the quote would you be defending them because "oh, problems happen".

They knew what they needed to do, had the code written and needed to apply it to the severs. They have done this for 15 years and should know what problems they will likely incur and factor them in.

Vital software programs such as traffic control systems etc need updating too - you think those developers get away with taking 200% longer than they planned? No it gets done as planned because every conceivable problem has been accounted for - this is their job, we pay them to do it, and we didn't even give them a time limit they did.
  4. postid Journeyman

Don't post an estimate/update and it's crappy communication but ... Post your best ETA with updates and people complain if the estimate is wrong (doesn't seem to be often to me) ... No wonder they stopped trying to share info - players bash them either way so why would they waste their time? Hope the estimates and updates if necessary continue I prefer that much more than silence
  5. Jreafman New Member

Actually... yes, they do. I know, you wanna rail that such a thing isn't possible, that civilization would collapse without traffic lights, but if you've ever seen a traffic cop out manning an intersection where the lights are, for some strange reason, all just flashing yellow instead of doing what they're supposed to do, you've likely run into this.

No programmer is perfect, no software developer is capable of planning for every single possible problem that could creep up. If you haven't done software development, or even done simple IT support, you shouldn't speak as if you have some idea what you're talking about. If you /have/ done either of those jobs, you've seen all the multitudes of things that can go wrong that couldn't be predicted.

And frankly, comparing the design of a website to the running/maintaining/patching of an MMO is like comparing building a child's sandbox in your back yard to sculpting the beachfront of the entire east coast.

Devs are human beings, and no one gave them a crystal ball.
  6. Darkas New Member

Yikes... zones are unstable and crashing. At least GL, PoK and Grounds, safe to assume others... at least on Bertox.
  7. Olestra Elder

You can add GGH and EWK to the list of unstable zones on Bertox
  8. BoomWalker Augur

Isn't this latest patch really just the completion of the launch patch given all the fixes that were not done before launch? dps caster merc, SK RK I spells, spiderlings not dropping raid loot, etc...
  9. BoomWalker Augur

Where did those defenders of the ETA run off too? They were all in my posts about my math being so off (it was a joke get a sense of humor) but they seemed to shut up as the patch too longer and longer to complete....

Strange...maybe the formula is closer to accurate than originally thought...
  10. Baldamor New Member

For some reason right now when I go to click play it gives me an error and tells me to try again, any idea as to why? Is this due to the patch or is the patch still making EQ down? I'm on EST time