Game unplayable for packet loss, >1k ms ping

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Snapdragyn, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Snapdragyn New Member

Does anyone have any idea what I might try to fix the insane lag & rubber-banding issues I'm having?

- It isn't happening to others in the same zone with me
    - Pinging speed check sites everything looks fine
    - EQ very clearly is NOT fine, as I get packet loss that snaps me back every 2-3 seconds, & sometimes over 1k ms ping meter
    - Sometimes rebooting my box resolves it. Sometimes it does not.
    - Household modem is not mine, & my roomie flips out if I reboot that.

Would running a cable directly to the modem instead of running on wi-fi help? Running VPN to try to get around any slow backbone that I'm hitting (West Coast here, which others in group might not be)? I'm extremely low on tech knowledge, so just throwing stuff at the wall - but basically the game is unplayable for hours on end, & I'm starting to question keeping the sub going if this keeps up. :(
  2. svann Augur

3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I would try direct cable to modem if roomie allows.
    Or get a wi fi extender as you don't say where you are in connection to the modem.
    Adjust where the modem is pointing to get better wi fi signal - mine only has to move 1 inch and the signal gets blocked by a fireplace - guess its the metal.
    My understanding of VPN is that the VPN creates a virtual encrypted tunnel between you and a remote server operated by a VPN service. All external internet traffic is routed through this tunnel, so your data is secure from prying eyes. Your computer appears to have the IP address of the VPN server, masking your identity. Do you need that for some reason? Like are you on a public wi fi? Maybe go without the VPN as EQ has enough issues without forcing a connection thru a tunnel so no one knows its you playing on that computer.
  4. Velisaris_MS Augur

After having to reinstall everything after a hard drive crash a few months ago, I had the EXACT issue you described. Apparently, some setting some where changed after the reinstall because I never had that problem before the HD died and I have no idea what it may have been.

Using a cable instead of the wifi immediately fixed the problem and I haven't had a connnection issue since.
  5. Febb Augur

This is most likely something to do with your wireless connection to the router. How many clients are connected to the router at the same time? How far away from the router is your PC? Does your signal show to be strong when connected wireless?

If you have a Ethernet NIC, run a cat5 cable to the router and just disable your wireless and test that out to see if your connection improves.
  6. Metanis Bad Company

I concur on hard-wiring your connection. Wi-Fi can be notoriously flaky for gaming. Something else to check would be your MTU setting. I had to lower mine from 1500 to 1492 because some router between me and DBG would fragment the packets and then those packets would get dropped. Google it and you'll find the procedure.
  7. Havanap Elder

Are you or your roommate torrenting, or other P2P? The huge amount of connections used by torrents can definitely affect/slow down other programs trying to use the same access point.
    Metanis likes this.