Game kicks me completely out after quiting

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by SmoochyOfWolfington, Apr 20, 2020.

1. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

Recently my right mouse button, which I hold down to more easily navigate, seems to fluctuate on the screen. The cursor will pop up from time to time. It will consider NPCs that I had only swept my view past their direction. It will undo me trying to see the stats or requirements of an item as it thinks I had let go of it.

As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong with the mouse button. It just seems like there is a game or something in the back ground, kind of like when playing on Steam and you may end up Alt Tabbing, it may start acting finicky. Although I am playing through Steam, I have not Alt Tabbed at all nor have anything else up and running, nothing more then hidden processes at least and the same that have been on from the get go. I guess now that I am thinking about it, I will try playing by using the official EQ launcher and see how that works. But I would still prefer to play it through Steam if possible. Any ideas? Thank you.

Edit: Oh and although I thought it was not that serious, along with the problem of the right mouse button glitch (?), it booted me out one time in a not so hospitable place. In order for me to log back on I had to reload everything again from the launcher and get back in which takes time, not to include the game saying I already had a character logged in and I would need to force it off so I could get back on which actually took longer than I was expecting. That could be a death sentence waiting to happen if during a fight or near enemies. :confused:
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

FTP players receive popup advertisement when logging out of the game. Potential issue due to resizing and redrawing the screen due to playing EQ at a different resolution than your system's resolution, ie EQ @ 800x600 while system @ 1600x1200. Try playing in Windowed Mode.

Also, pop-ups in the background, for variety things, are stealing "focus", causing EQ to move to the background. When this happens your right click/considering is no longer active. Also, if you play other games do you have macros combinations setup on the mouse? Also hitting the Window key could potentially force EQ to not be focused (in the foreground anymore) until you click back on the game.

As for Steam vs Standalone..hmm..it will likely not be any change because it will be dependent on how you have the game setup. The biggest difference is if you have not disabled the Steam overlay...
    Corwyhn Lionheart and CatsPaws like this.
  3. SmoochyOfWolfington Augur

I only have one character so far, I guess FTP have only two character slots anyway, although I believe you can have two per server so that is more than enough. Correct me if I am wrong please. If you mean windowed mode, does it have to be a tiny window or it could be as stretched out almost as full screen, but still considered windowed? I suppose I could just lower the resolution if I was expecting to get back to the game in short order before initially quitting.

As far as I know, I have no "visible" popups at least. I can right click as that is how I still get around in game, it is just the mouse pointer will go in and out so to speak. As if I am fast right clicking. It only occurs in this game, although I have not tried it extensively for sure in others. And I am using a standard mouse with no macros for this game or any other. I think the time it was moved to the background is because I had moved the mouse too far to the top right and maybe it somehow caught the edge, even though I was in full screen mode at the time and minimized/forced quit the game. I could be mistaken however. I just know it took a good bit of time, in Everquest terms, to get back to my character. I am not sure if it is different from the Classic era, but to my knowledge it used to leave you there defenseless, at least for several minutes until you timed out. And all penalties would occur if trapped and killed in the mean time.

Steam overlay? You mean the Alt Tab I mentioned earlier? No, as I can still access it, I just know not to hit that button combination, which in gameplay I wouldn't unless in an emergency. As far as the Windows home key is concerned, I ripped the button top off my keyboard a long time ago as that has always been an issue when I first bought this computer. So I no longer have that issue. ^^! I do thank you for your suggestions. And I will be trying Everquest from the official launcher and see how that goes just to be sure.
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Dependent on which thread you read first, the game does have the ability to adjust all sort of settings in game, including resolution.

Alt O, Display Tab (2nd tab) and windowed mode button or Alt Enter. Make sure to camp out completely. There is no Refresh rate/Bit Depth on the video mode because I have it in windowed mode. Full Screen though would list available options, as well as potentially reduce the number of available resolutions.

Beware of the Window resizing (this is a relatively new install on this computer) but I will be unchecking that option.

[IMG]
    Duder likes this.