Game freezing/unable to uninstall game

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Sethiroth, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Sethiroth Augur

I’ve just bought a brand new laptop to add a third box to my setup. The problem is Everquest keeps intermittantly freezing to the point where I can’t do anything. The cursor won’t move and I can’t ctrl alt del out. The only way I can regain access to my laptop is a power down and restart.

This only happens while playing Everquest.

I figured I’d try to uninstall and reinstall but ran into a strange problem. Windows won’t let me uninstall and there are two versions of Everquest in the registry. One for DB, and one for SoE. After a quick check on one of my other computers I found out that, that machine has the same issue too. I’m wondering if this has something to do with the issue though the other rig has no problems with freezing up.

Anyone else had anything like this?
  2. narksar Augur

I've had intermittent freezing problems, but they go away after a few minutes. It seems it might have something to do with EQ not properly loading files it needs prior to using them. Then when it needs them it stalls the game, sometimes for extended periods, to access those files. I don't know if that oculd be a hard drive issue, ram issue, and or a programming issue. It normally goes away for me in about 10-15 minutes of play but it still concerns me as well.

I'd take steps to ensure that you're letting EQ use a ton of ram, as needed and maybe even change the process of EQ to "High" and bind it to all CPU cores. That has helped me in the past to mitigate the issue to some degree.
  3. Sethiroth Augur

I performed a system restore last night and, touch wood, it appears to have resolved the issue, but thanx for this info, if it returns I’ll have a look into trying what you have said.
  4. narksar Augur

I have just had NUMEROUS stalls tonight, died twice from it. Something isn't right. Not complete stalls where I've had to Ctrl+alt+delete, but bad enough where the game didn't respond for upwards of 60 seconds mid fight. Frequently at the near beginning of casting a spell, and the end of casting a spell. Not fun, I actually stopped playing it got so bad.