Future Needs, Cleric Edition

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Cadira, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Cadira Augur

Hate to post another one of these in veteran's lounge, but since it seems Dev's rarely read/respond on class threads, I figured I'd post here.

Healing Department:

I think we heal great. I don't think a lot needs to be changed here. We have lots of "oh crap!" abilities that shamans and druids lack and the best overall ability to heal by miles, outside of really really good shaman!

One thing I think could use a facelift is the "Light" heal line. For the past few expansions, Light has been completely useless. It's unbelievably slow cast time, paired with very little healing it provides does not even remotely Justify it's only positive feature. Mana Conservation (All the clerics in the crowd lightly chuckle). It's virtually just as efficient to cast remedies for mana usage and they heal almost just as much, although have a .5s cast time. But, as the joke suggested earlier, mana conservation for clerics is a laugh. We don't run out of mana.

This could be fixed by making Light more of a "complete" heal. Increase the mana usage (but make it less than renewal), and increase the healing provided to be around the level of Renewals, which have a shorter cast time AND cure (sometimes good, sometimes bad) while retaining the long cast time that light's should have. Either way, something needs done.

Buffs Department:

My only complaint is not having a group shining line. I think all clerics would rejoice for a group shining spell. To make it fair, you could increase the cast time to deter people from using it during combat. Make it's mana cost 3 times that of single.

Group DI I am personally against, I think it trivializes DI as a whole, which should have the decent CD it has. But if Dev's find a good way to implement it, I know it would make a lot of people happy.

Dps Department:

(Prepares for the haters/trolls) Bare with me here.

Are clerics of lore not just as determined to eradicate undead from the world as Paladins? I'm not asking for Paladin dps, but hear me out.

Our Vow spells are a joke. I remember when level 70 was the cap and clerics would take time out of their day to help my 60 something warrior kill something I needed, and with their vow going they could do some amazing things with self healing and dps that my warrior couldn't. I don't think vow like that should have a place in current day xpacs, but rework it for some usage on undead.

Why not make: Vow of Valiance: You take a forceful vow that reduces your healing efficacy by 25% for 1:12:00 and adds the chance for your melee strikes to trigger Valiant Strike, which deals 50000 (or so) damage to your target, and makes them less resistant to magic spells.

Can adjust damage/proc rate as the devs see fit, can take or leave the magic resist debuff (to help us land our undead nukes) the idea is to occasionally proc a huge DD on undead mobs that puts us at about...idk, 70-100k dps to undead and undead alone. Basically similar to slay undead for Paladins. Require us to also be casting our undead nukes/dot to achieve this level of dps in conjunction so it's not just as simple as /autoattack.

This brings us back to the days where cleric melee mobs and actually use Vow. This would encourage clerics to play in the group game which is generally very boring but extremely necessary for some groups. It'd probably make more people interested in maining clerics for fun and not out of necessity for raids and possibly help out lower tier guilds who need clerics because they just don't want to play.

Yeah yeah yeah I know we have Turn Undead. Does like 2m~ damage every 2.5 minutes, nice for every once in a mob but not consistent and only takes a small chunk out of current day mobs.

Thoughts? Additional wishes or QoL improvements? Post below!
    Thanks,
  2. Xenze Elder

Now I do not play a Cleric and honestly know nothing of them...but this seems rather well thought and constructive. Solid 8/10! Would give another 1-2 if I knew what you were talking about and could actually think on said abilities :p
    Cadira likes this.
  3. Metanis Bad Company

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you've posted here but let me play devil's advocate a minute.

1. There is absolutely nothing they can do which will make a cleric interesting or fun to play in the solo/group game at level 110. I'm serious. The only thing a good end-game cleric can do is cover for horrible groupmates. Any enhancements to DPS will be neglible because it would p1$$ off the pallys and wizzies. Meanwhile, mercs do a routine job without ever needing to take a bio or coffee break. So just forget about soloing/moloing/grouping your cleric.

2. The one thing we do with excellence is providing HP assistance during raids. This is where we shine and are simply irreplaceable. Even here however we are faced with an embarrassment of riches. I contend we have entirely too many lines of heals, cures, and buffs. I would like see some of these consolidated, eliminated, combined, or merged.

3. There are probably going to be even fewer clerics by the time the next expansion rolls around. We need much more powerful AE heals and cures with shorter refresh timers. In addition they need to be range enhanced out to 250 or even 300. Alliances are wonderful but they are too weak and too short ranged. I want to be able to do the hardest content with only 4 clerics in a 54 person raid. Besides, we know DPS rules.

4. It's long past time they did something about cleric spell stacking with other clerics. They give us all these 'special' things like Promised Heals, Vie, Shining, DI, Undying, Divine Guardian, etc., etc. but then nothing prevents another cleric from simply overwriting your cast for absolutely zero benefit. They even make the icons all look the same so you can't simply scan the tank's buffs to see what they've already got. So clerics have to coordinate who casts what. Most clerics I know are still pissed about CH rotations and they aren't about to coordinate any damn thing they aren't forced to.

5. Divine Peace. I want it back the way it was originally sold to us and with a shorter refresh. When I get aggro from those huge healing rains I need a way to drop it RIGHT MEOW!

6. They should let us old clerics re-roll as DPS and just AutoBot our clerics using unmentionable 3rd party software. I daresay that 90% of what a cleric does during a raid could be scripted easily. And the other 10% is just autofollowing someone who knows how to play in 3rd person.

7. Having said all this I'm 99.9% sure all they'll do for clerics is another cookie-cutter round of the same old thing. That's because clerics are already OP. So the new mobs will hit for 10% more dmg and our new heals will heal for 10% more HP. /yawn
  4. Cadira Augur

Some good points.

1. I disagree myself. I think being able to dps at least undead to a decent extent would at least give us something to do other than...sit there and heal. Sure it's not as glamorous as hitting all the buttons or tanking or w/e other classes do but it's simple and something different. My idea is for clerics to do OK dps, not paladin/wizard dps, just something to be worthwhile when an sk is healing themselves more than you do in the group. But I see what you mean.

2. Completely agree, lots of our stuff is useless and too many things to mention all of them here. I hit on Light but other than that a lot of them can just ...go.

3. That's probably true. I'd love our splash being stronger. It pales in comparison to shaman swell. Maybe greatly reduce the CD timer and increase range as a simple fix. I don't know that they can ever greatly reduce the number of clerics required for raids without running into other balance issues but that's me.

4. Def agree that some of the icons need to be unique to solve some issues. Granted, I think some of the spells you mentioned are useless (Promise, Vie, Undying) or very limited use for raiding.

5. Divine Peace is garbage, all clerics know it :(. I think it needs a higher success rate (Maybe everyone's does, idk) I don't know that it's safe to say just clerics fade needs upgraded and not everyone's though so that's mostly a different issue but I agree with ya.

6. Lol!

7.You're right. This thread was an attempt at seeing if the devs will listen to what one (hopefully many) clerics want to do to help make cleric better in the few areas we fail at. I want to reduce loss of and garner and more interest in one of the (maybe the most dare say I) most important classes currently in eq.
    Playful and Metanis like this.
  5. mmats Augur

Clerics need nothing. They are in a good place.
  6. gnomeboss Augur

cattastraphy was trash.

cle need spash cure pls with huge timer to suck up spell gem to assuage paladin rage. actually, paladins probably would be happy to baton splash cures over to clerics, mirite?
    Metanis likes this.
  7. Cadira Augur

He was. Holy jesus you're still around.
    Zaviere likes this.
  8. Cadira Augur

You're right, but it's boring in group game, and doesn't hurt to throw a few things our way for that. More clerics interested in the game = more raiding and difficult missions for everybody!
  9. mmats Augur

It would be nice to have something to drop a ton of mana on every once in awhile. Lets say for 100k mana you cast an upgraded Yaulp which adds a weapon proc that triggers an AE heal. For example:

Greater Yaulp
    Classes: CLR/254
    Skill: Abjuration
    Mana: 100000
    Restriction: Cancel on Sit
    Target: Self
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0.25s, Recast: 20m, Rest: 0.5s
    Duration: 36s+ (6 ticks), Dispelable: Yes
    1: Increase ATK by 500
    2: Add Melee Proc: Wave of Brell with 250% Rate Mod
    3: Increase Current Mana by 300 per tick
    8: Increase Worn Proc Rate by 120%
    9: Increase Melee Haste by 50%

Wave of Brell
    Classes: CLR/111
    Skill: Alteration
    Target: Caster PB
    Range: 100'
    Resist: Beneficial, Blockable: Yes
    Focusable: Yes
    Casting: 0s, Rest: 1.5s
    1: Increase Current HP by 12000
  10. Bigstomp Augur

2 aura's should be cast as part of saints unity.
    Cadira and Szilent like this.
  11. Bigstomp Augur

3. Removing free-target from splash and making it operate as a group/raid wide ae with a targeted toon would make it much easier to use and I feel more useful. (I only play a cleric as an alt, so I'm happy to have why free target is better be explained).

5. I have few issues with divine peace, but I've grown used to it's limitations. Main is a warrior so I share the button under a different name.
  12. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

Healing stuff I'd like to see for cleric:
    - I want in on the rain heal action
    - Pink target type spells
    - beam heals

Cleric-y stuff:
    - Any kind of damage prevention
    - More exciting type of proc buff (Shining Fortress)
    - I don't use Alliance because the SHM one has a larger AE range. Would be cool to see all 3 priest Alliances be useful in different situations (or, be good at the same time).

DPS:
    - Something similar in style to the CotF BP focus (large DPS increase for healing debuff tradeoff). Vow of X is the right line of thought, except it hasn't kept up over time.
    - Summoned hammer upgrade
  13. Drogba Augur

Light is still useful if you die a few times in a row and run out of mana recovery options. At 0% mana, I've loaded the previous version of light + mana glyph to stay afloat til I can get mana back.

Not to say it isn't otherwise underwhelming.
  14. Zaviere Augur

And as big of a cat hater as ever! But yeah, he's still lurking on the forums and on FV, he's a sneaky one.

In other news, let us rejoice as a new Forum-Quester is born~
  15. Outlander Engine Elder

I'd stay away from SU style mechanics. I, personaly, think it's a millstone around paladin's neck. A slight bump against undead makes good flavor. Linking 50% of the classes personal dps to one mob style made it incredibly difficult to balance paladin dps again all other mob types, and forced paladin's to miss a lot of content as they ground out AA in niche locations.

However, I'm currently leveling a battle cleric, with a wizard and bard box team and I'm having a great time in the level 90 range. I hope it lasts.

I want to upvote this post, but I'm scared the dev's won't understand the sheer quality. Please, sir, take an internet.
  16. Cadira Augur

Generally speaking I love this idea. Idk about 100k mana but maybe around the same mana as Dicho. And make it the new version of our Infusion of the Merciful line which is pretty useless otherwise. Constantly keeping it up would be costly but very good for ae heals!

I think I'd prefer a pbae or targeted ae as well. Although a good cleric only loses about .2 seconds positioning the aura and can then place the splash wherever they want so I have mixed feelings. I think it needs it's CD reduced and the ae range increased a small amount but maybe that's OP.

True enough, interesting concept. I usually just use remedies still and have a couple seconds or so inbetween waiting for enough mana to cast the next one. Usually gives me a chance to "snipe" a quick heal in though when I know it'll definitely land where as with Light it's kind of a shot in the dark being such a long fight. I just miss Light being "The Heal" and is not left with almost no purpose.

True enough. The vow wouldn't be scripted as a SU, it'd simply be a dd proc like any other. But it deals massive damage but only to undead. They could adjust proc rate and damage as they see fit. I'd be happy if they simply gave our nukes or melee more damage against undead in any form.
  17. Drogba Augur

My tank would have died had I done that when i last used this on a gorowyn raid, where I was his sole healer while he offtanked one of the ghost mini's. Meanwhile the raid was half wiped but recovering over at another section.

Another time this can get some use is on any events that spring up with mana drains. ToR 2 is the last one that really comes to mind, but still, some situational use out of this spell.
  18. Bigstomp Augur

I'm trying, but it's a work in progress.
  19. Szilent Augur

lol wut? Ghosts don't kill tanks. This very week one of our warriors engaged a ghost out of turn off across the zone, we had ... a minute? more? like forever for healers to notice, literally engage in a debate in Discord over whether or not to save him, decide yes, decide who, and then go over there & put a heal on him. If it'd been a knight that guy would have been on his own completely.
  20. mmats Augur

Well I was thinking something along the lines of Mana Burn, but designed for clerics. So it would be a long recast AA instead of something that sits on the spellbar.
    Cadira likes this.