Future Content: A Letter from Director of Development Dave Georgeson

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Piestro, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leigo You come here often?

If raiding content bothers you then quit.
    Raiding is fun and the gear is not overpowered to raid lvl mobs.
    Do you raid at all? If you did you would see that they will smack even a fully t1 CotF raid toon down with ease.
    It's always folks complaining about what raiders have on the grouping folks.. And I don't know what content you are in but just because you are raid geared doesn't mean you can kill everything in god-mode.. Seriously, just because you run into the swarmer or beam kiter that has no regard for others doesn't mean you should take all your problems out on those that enjoy raiding and truly have fun in both grp/raid content.

Yes they were referring to how House of Thule worked. Having to beat T1 to get to T2,T3 and T4.
    This was a great idea in group content and it made that group needed to progress into higher content.
    Raids were the same way, but you needed keys past T1.
  2. Dattil Cheatswell New Member

Look, more than a few people are new, and in the rush to level up, they don't play older content. What you might want to consider are ways to update the rewards from those zones. Then, they either go back, shroud their character, or run an alt.through to get the original item. After which, they go do the new zone to get the upgrade. Lots of game play there!
  3. Chronocide New Member

4. Leigo You come here often?

Revamp PoP, They are some of the best content that was fun for grp and raid alike.
    Lets see those old zones powered up to 100 and lets get the gear/missions on par.

This will bring back old players and keep those thinking of leaving around to see how it will play out.
  5. Imrahil Augur

First of all, I would like to say that it is good, that EQ still is evolving.

Second though, let me chime in to the voices of those who are skeptical regarding weekly updates. If the servers need to be brought down, the time for such downtime would be crucial, because lately Euros have been serious issues with the start time being during early afternoon in Europe. Given the fact that quite often another small patch with downtime is needed, we have lost quite a few days in the last months already and I am subious about betterment in the future. Also I really doubt that weekly "updates" are helpful, I think they will put a lot of pressure on devs to get ANYTHING done which can be pout into a patch message, instead of maybe focusing on something bigger, which simply takes 2-4 weeks. Imho it is better to release something worthwhile once a month or even only every 3 months instead of simply releasing "something" every week just for the sake of it.

That last point brings me to the most worrying point of this new release model: you guys heard that we were disappointed about the miniscule updates we got with the expansion being broken into parts. Now you pledge to release even MORE even TINIER parts over the year, but in the same time you sort of promise a BIG expansion release? Pardon my skepticism, but if we don't get a huge influx from devs from other games (could be the case), then I somehow doubt, that the already overworked current crew will be able to release a BIG chunk in addition to weekly and monthly new content - sorry, they can only work a certain amount of time, new tools or not.

Bottom line: I think you guys misunderstood at least some of the cirticisms regarding staggered release. If there had been a really BIG (don't call CoTF releases 1a and 1b "big", that's insulting for that word) expansion release pack I am sure people would have been quite happy with another 1-2 releases in May and September (Last one being a real endzone with unique mobs and loot for raiders and groupers).

I will not judge a system which I haven't seen yet, but allow me to be doubtful.
    Yinla, Doinar, Belchere and 1 other person like this.
  6. Casidia Augur

Just need to focus on the important things, like establishing a valid raid system.
    "Aging" old dungeons sounds very good so that's promising, cos the group game should get some good old "traaaaain inc" zones back.

Way too much distraction in this thread as usual, which makes it somewhat painful to read.
    I don't care how they do it, if this needs weekly updates to keep everyone happy...who cares.
    The important bit is trying to make everyone happy again, and Raiders i.e. are pretty unhappy currently.
  7. Chronocide New Member

I'm Talking about warrior mercs not real warriors having more hps. They (and mage pets....heck even necro pets) have more. And wizard mercs on burn avg 20-25k dps every fight. It's nice you can burn for 45-50k but that means nothing. So you burn visage of death, harm touch, leech touch, unholy aura, lifetaps etc and get your dps in. Thats 1 fight. A merc can do that every fight for hours very few real players get those dps avgs in even with raid gear. This is my group 100 sk/sham/mag with 1 cleric and 2 wizard mercs. I always am looking for players and parse. Rare, very rare to get someone that out dps the wizard. Unbalanced imo. Your basing your whole argument on a boss fight which is about 1%of kills in a normal group which is fundamentally flawed thinking. Buffed up I have about 120 hps and parse 9-10k on gamparse avg. I am a beast for a group geared player and out parse many raid geared. Thats not my point. My point is why should i buy another expansion to not increase my power? tell me what % your parse has went up from the new aa's from the new expansion? Not the gear just the aa %. Gear can be dropped quickly as soon as next expansion is released. I don't know your answer to this but i know its going to be very low %. I've checked out every one of the new sk aa's and they are beyond lame.
  8. Langya Augur

I don't hate raiders. I just don't care for the attitudes some of them have that the game needs to cater to them and only them. That anything that other demographics in the game might prefer is an affront to them and that it is killing the game. Enough is enough already. It just seems there is always a double standard. it just seems like there needs to be two game spheres in order for both sides of the equation to be happy. There is also the balancing issues where the group game has to be balanced around raiders or that raiding needs to be balanced around what someone group geared can do. it doesn't really work. If two sides can't stop fighting than they need to be separated.

Also. I am raid geared. I have 2 other characters that are raid geared. Don't judge me based on not choosing one side or the other because both are pretty narrow minded at times and don't see things objectively. Do I still raid? No, but its not because I am terrible at it or hate it. Its a schedule thing.
  9. FRC450 New Member

I usually don't surf the forums or reply. However this one did catch my eye was I was logging into Everquest.

In a Yoda fashion : Fail you will if stray from path. In otherwards there has never been a more robust of online games to the public to play. Yet people keep coming back to EQ for the sheer fact for most people its their first love. For a lot of people have invested years into the game. Its that long road of progression to feel your Character has indeed progressed when he can go back and solo things it took groups years ago to do. That sense of power over old content is EQ fashion and its EQ DNA.

Some of my personal ideals.. And ponders.

1/ Can't believe the epic weapons are not updated every expansion??.. seems like a no brainer :(
    2/ Like to see older content cleaned up. Instead of making new content even though that is awesome. How about these weekly updates clean up EQ in general. LDON.. SHROUDS.. Monster Missions, ALL different game currency.. However just tidy the game up.
    3/ Personally if I have a merc with me then I feel like he's a Character now more then ever with the new Merc AA and gear.. So open up all zones, task, etc to allow mercs.
    4/ Maybe add some ports here and there .. If I have to run back from Crescent after using ORIGIN to reach POK one more time my computer is going to BSOD on me...
    5/ Like the Ideal of revamping older content.. Just make it simple. SOD expansion good things came with it but the progression horrid. A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K, and so on Really....
    6/ Example.. HOUSE OF THULE great expansion. Typical EQ fashion.. lots of names.. good progression easy to follow.
    7/ Why does it feel some expansions don't feel like EQ some do..?
    8/ POP best expansion by far... most people would agree.. seek why?.. build on that.
    9/ Slayer Quest.. may be coming as some achievements are already there. How about all the names from all the expansions.. a master kill list. Maybe get some awesome item that upgrades like a charm after each expansion name list cleared? That be extremely cool.. To go back and kill a name I skipped over in the years.. even it cons white would be cool.
    10/ Maybe have gear or weapons, items that people could do to add what specs they want to gear.. Or maybe more evolving items tied into the achievement system.

Not that anyone probably will read all this, just my thoughts :)
    Cibbas likes this.
  10. Battleaxe Augur

EverQuest II is having group gear being more effective in group content and raid gear supposedly have attributes that are useful when raiding but not use when grouping.

Such are the fruits of jealousy be those who do not make effort.

Lemme clear a few things up -
    PoHate - it was wide open. Afaik nothing prevented anyone from entering except game courage.

Group content - almost all of my upgrades (except augs) come from raid content. I do not steal your trifles - I have no need of them. I don't steal your mobs - I'm max level and max exp. Most of my group content is done in instances.

Oh yeah, Merc and Hero done. Pretty much all the appropriate augs for my class done. OOOO couldn't do it without raid gear? Did it - was raiding PoFear and PoHate when others were arguing over Orc 1. I'm in some cases talking about players who started before I did. And...I'm not even uber. I don't even box.

When they made group content for raiders (during PoP), non-raiders complained.

And let's be clear. There are plenty of non-raiders that finish expansions in 25% of the time alloted for them. What you are really complaining about is that others play more than you do and they play effectively when they play.

Doubt me? When SOE has created progression servers requiring a vote to unlock new content there were player who were waaaaaaaaay ahead of others who had the same starting date. You can read the threads - they're still in these forums. I thought with a progression server we could take our time and enjoy EQ but the ubers are wreaking everything.

Seriously - they've pretty much done in EQ2. EQ Next is going to be a hive of casuals and villany. This is not the game you are looking for. This is the game hardcore raiding got noticed. Killing a dragon while in uber gear looks a better on a box and is obvious fun. Barely leveled player in a cloth shirt wielding a rusty sword because he doesn't do hardly anything couldn't sell life preservers to Titanic passengers.

SOE knows the lack of effort by some EQ players affects the perceptions of potential customers - why do you think they're going to be selling "Heroic" Characters? Because given years to do it a fair number of players have not earned a heroic character and they are upset at the players who did.

As a result of creating heroic battles for heroic characters EQ has had a 15 year run. Let's make it 20 years kplsthnx~
  11. Janakin Augur

From the OP's post, I am hoping they have increased, or soon will increase, the creative content team for EQ. This might be at the expense of the 4 games they are cancelling. It also "sounds" like they are planning on giving EQ more attention than they have done lately. If true, this would be turn in a positive direction. It would be nice for all of us to reserve judgement on its implementation until after a some time has past, but as this thread can attest to, you cannot please everyone.

I assume their tiered plan release for the rest of CotF will go as planned and then expansion 21 will be more epic in its release. I would rather that be the case and they release the next expansion Jan 2015 than rush something in November. That said. if the weekly and monthly content pushes are done well enough to please both group players and raid players until then, I see a win for the longevity of this game I still love after 15 years.
    Crystilla and Battleaxe like this.
  12. Battleaxe Augur

Great post. You have no interest in seeing the game sabotaged for anyone. Your fun does not require the destruction of any hope of having fun for others.

Either path is fine if SOE is determined to do what it has said it is doing. However an overly wide gap to the next decent sized piece of content with either raiders or non-raiders idle is unacceptable.

If it were me, given what I've read about SOE and it's product scorecard, I'd treat my not failed titles with a whole lot of caution, care, and consideration.
    Janakin likes this.
  13. Cibbas New Member

As was said, I love this game, and I have some friends trickling back. I enjoy soloing a lot, from my earlier time in the game when my computer couldn't handle the intensity of the crowds in a raid. I also enjoy grouping with my friends. Some of us are trying some SoD achievement tasks, but are stalled because we can't use mercs (specifically healers) in the 6 person raid. Our tight little group would love to see mercs count towards the player count in a raid.

I would also like to see more of the zones I grew up with in the beginning get some seasonal tweaking. I like the Hardcore Heritage zones. Something like that all year round would interest me. But I would love to see some of those zones become scalable. If the newest expansion has tasks that are relatively scaleable, then let's try that with the hardcore zones, and maybe try the lower dungeons as well.

Just my 2 broken copper's worth...

Cibbas Sneakystone
    Cazic Thule
    Belchere likes this.
  14. Leerah Augur

That's dumb. Surely you don't mean "no Chardok, no Anguish, no Plane of Sky."
  15. Leerah Augur

I doubted that there was that much attitude from raiders are expressed above, but lo, here it is!
  16. Bigbear Augur

then perhaps that % gap should be changed
  17. Leerah Augur

Agree that this thread is drifting way off topic. The issue of content for 5% of the player base deserves a thread of its own. We need to discuss things like gear gaps, gear inflation, motivations for raiding, what makes a good raid, and more- but not here.
  18. Tarrin Augur

Why? Are groupers unable to do group content with the current group gear?
    Yinla and Imrahil like this.
  19. Bigbear Augur

and no i dont raid... havent since like OoW was out... and dont plan on raiding nor quitting EQ... for the record i am glad that u like raiding... its a feature that has always been there...and will always be there... but that doesnt mean that there has to be such a huge difference in the gear... never said raiding should go away... ALL I HAVE EVER SAID was that the difference in group gear and raid gear is too big of a difference...

and as for the raid gear with raid mobs... if ur gear wasnt as good as it is now... then the raid mobs wouldnt hit as hard... raids are tuned for raid gear.... just like group content is tuned for group gear... if there wasnt as big of a big difference... then raiders can enjoy group content without easy mode... and then ...wait for it... enjoy raid content as well

i really dont hate all raiders... and raids in general... but unfortunately i end up dealing with the bad apples in raid gear more than i do the good apples...and if the gear wasnt so inflated then at least the bad apples couldnt do as much bad things in group content that their gear wasnt intended for
  20. Tarrin Augur

As you stated, group gear is tuned for people in group gear.

Everything is working as intended

No gap needs to be changed.

Wait..I am trying to connect some dots. Are you saying that raid gear needs to be nerfed because raiders have it too easy in group content?

That is absurd.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.