Free trade, multi boxing , and randomized loot progression server for Casual Players

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Burdi, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Burdi Augur

Hi Folks,
    Currently Modern and Progression Everquest require a large time investment.
    The only relevant server choice for a casual players is FV.
    I would like to inquire if the creation of a free trade, multi boxing , and randomized loot progression server for casual Players is scheduled.
    This type of server would appeal to a broader population of casual players and boxers, which only play a few hours a week, and cant afford spending time on any farming or repetitive task.
    This type of player could focus on quests ,progressions, the enjoyable and the fun part of the game without the process being too time consuming and tedious.
    This population of casual player is rather discreet on the forum because it does not fit their mindset but is strong and numerous.
    True box rule set would hinder the server’s population on the long run. It is making challenging doing any non current content on a low population server, the majority of players rush to endgame.
    Please let me know your thoughts
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No current plans.

A possibility that it could happen though, so write a letter to Santa Claugg, be a good person and you never know.
  3. Draconum Elder

Took forever just to get them to release these servers with a 'close to FV' ruleset.

While I can certainly see them regurgitating similar ones in the future, I wouldn't get my hopes up for the next round of them (probably next Spring like usual) unless they're extremely lazy.

Would be nice to be able to run my two groups again on a few of the laptops instead of these refurbished turd pc's.
  4. TheTone Elder

Unfortunately, any "new" server concept needs to take into account the fact that there are dozens of very hardcore players that will take advantage of all of these "casual friendly" rules and likely monopolize content you otherwise thought you might be able to get into.

I've dreamed of a server (for years) that is truly casual friendly - but it's very hard to come up with rulesets that actually benefit casuals.

In my mind, the ideal server would be one where you have to show proof of a full-time job and you get a 10% exp boost for being married and also for every child you have. Obviously, this is impossible to prove, so it's just my dream for now.

Honestly, the best thing I think that would help casuals out would be a system with an incredibly low base EXP rate paired with an EXP-Bonus system that is inversely proportional to your playtime. Essentially, it will heavily penalize people who play ungodly amounts of hours that the rest of us just don't have and allow a pleasant leveling experience to those that play casually. WoW does this to a degree.

As for monopolizing camps, if DPG could just weed out the keystroke automation and broadcasting, it would level the playing field much more. Unfortunately, I don't have any faith that this will ever be the case.
    Accipiter likes this.
  5. Zanarnar Augur

I for one, wouldn't consider anyone who boxes to be a casual player. Casuals MOLO or group up with other casuals. Generally its the hard core crowd running their own groups.
    Stymie likes this.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How would you make a server like that and keep it just for casual players?
  7. Emanuel le grand New Member

You can box two toons and be a boxer, isn't it ?
    Does boxer refer to someone playing a full group nowadays ?
    By which means do you « molo » before the mercenaries are available on a progression server?
  8. Burdi Augur

You can box two toons and be a boxer, isn't it?
    Does boxer refers to someone playing a whole group nowadays ?
    By which means could you possibly molo on a progression server before the mercenaries are available ?
    How to keep an incentive for casual gamers is a good question.
    To start with, I would make the delay between two expansions unlock longer like 4 or 5 months.
    But does this new server concept have to be exclusively for casual players ?
    May be not.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

My take on casuals V Hard Cores.

Casual is more dependent on how much you play not on how many chars you play.
    Casual players tent to box while hard cores tend to bot. Casuals usually want to do a lot more in the way of quests while hard cores what to raid.

Hardcore tends to be those who play for hours on end every day be that boting or grouping with friends or soloing.
    GamerGramps likes this.
  10. jeskola pheerie

Where's the guy with the Dev quote forum sig on this very question?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think that making the time between expansions longer makes it a casual server and a casual guild doesn't need to rush to the next expansion as soon as it unlocks. Heck with agents of change on all servers now it is a lot easier for a guild to slowly play through past expansions.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Exactly what I was going to post.
    oldkracow likes this.
  13. Thewiz Augur

The guy quoted was me. Made me a sad panda for sure.
  14. Burdi Augur

Ok the proposed rule set is not meant to enforce player to be virtuous.
    We have enough of those so called true box servers.
    But supposed to help normal person with a normal life to have fun in a reasonable time frame.
    Otherwise there will be farmers , botters , cheaters and jerks like in each and every other servers.
  15. jeskola pheerie

Whew, we can all continue to be scumbags on your server
    Duder likes this.
  16. Machen New Member

Lol. There are plenty of casual players boxing, and even boxing their own group. Especially once mercs are introduced, since you mentioned molo. It doesn't take much to 3 box and let your mercs do most of the work.
  17. Zanarnar Augur

Clearly we differ on our definition of casual. To me, a casual isn't going to be playing multiple characters at once in a game designed for you to control one at a time. That's a more hard-core mindset. Especially on a True-Box enabled TLP where you have to setup multiple machines to do it.

To me, someone who plays casually is far more likely to just move on to another game then run their own group if they stop being able to find them in LFG.
    Stymie likes this.
  18. Burdi Augur

Yeah, but there is a IF an that is a big IF.
    Only IF you want to.
  19. Burdi Augur

What about a definition that include time spent .
    Roughly anyone spending more than 4 hours a week is truly hardcore.
    I would not care whether if it is farming , LFG or boxing.
  20. Stymie Pendragon

You consider 4 hours a week hard-core? There are a number of weekend warriors who only have Saturday and Sunday mornings or some such that may beg to differ. If you were to up that to 14+ hours a week I may be inclined to agree since that is 2+ hours a day. Even then, it really depends on how that time is spent. Just setting up a trader can take a solid hour alone. Trade skills are another time sink that can be done leisurely in PoK for a couple hours at a time while dealing with RL issues.

4 hours can add up quickly in a week without even killing a mob. I just don't see how that can qualify as hard-core.