free trade discourages raiding

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Tachyon, May 15, 2024.

1. Tachyon Augur

unpopular opinion, there are those that don't like to have to raid, all cool, but for those who do, why bother if you can eventually just buy everything?
    Tyranthraxus likes this.
  2. Stagentti Augur

Some people don't want to wait however long to get new gear.

Buying it instead of raiding means spending pp or krono whereas raiding is just time.

Some people find raids fun.

It's like asking why people bother to group and level when they can just get powerleveled
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

4. Tachyon Augur

i love raiding and also refuse to buy gear, prefer a story behind it... but that's just me
  5. Silver-Crow Augur

Raiding is a thing sure, but many people run box crews, alts and now personas. Raiding very much is setup for gearing up your main character only, which leaves your 'other' characters picking up group stuff most of the time.

Having Free trade allows users to buy key raid bits (e.g. pet focus) for their alts.
    Yes it does encourage kronolords to run raids... but with aoc's who cares.

Oh i should add that Tormax is there if free trade is not your thing.
    I'm not really a fan of the krono economy, but that's EQ today for you :(
    Tachyon likes this.
  6. Tachyon Augur

understood i six boxed and such in years gone by, now just single
  7. coltongrundy Augur

"For those that like to do something, why bother doing the thing that you like if you have the option to not do the thing that you like?" dumb question.
  8. Okial Augur

It's not an "unpopular opinion", its a "baseless opinion". If they "didn't bother", there'd be no loot to buy.. lol. To address your title as well, Mischief was still fielding what... 19 raid guilds or some such in House of Thule clearing content? yeah, free trade is a massive discouragement..
    Lineater likes this.
  9. Demetri Augur

I'm mixed on it - I like to pretend it doesn't exist 90% of the time or more, but when there's that one drop that is persistently not dropping for me that I really want (or not enough to satiate guild demand with my place in the pecking order) - the option of free trade to buy it is a great backstop to not miss out.

I think it's just a matter of being wise about how you take advantage.

That said, I do personally think free trade functions better without the x2-6 drops more than typical modifier in the Mischief ruleset - although I do understand the importance of it when everything is in random buckets.
  10. Alarya Augur

I mained on FV since it went live and I have seen strong raid forces come and go over the years. Free trade will not discourage raiding, it'll make gear easier to get for sure, but it won't affect those who want to raid. I enjoy free trade because it gives me options for gear that I've upgraded (going to alts, or filling my pockets), plus it makes it SUPER easy to catch up if you are new to a server.
    Fenthen likes this.
  11. Tachyon Augur

i played FV since it's release, no argument against the idea, just think it philosophically changes motivations
  12. Tachyon Augur

i didn't say ALL, lets say many
  13. Tachyon Augur

i've played fv since release too
  14. TheDohn Augur

The point of playing the game isn't to help having the things. The point of having the things is to help playing the game.

If your goal is just "Get all the loot" then you're going to quit in a month or two even if you do raid. Mischief rule set turns everything into a loot pinata.
  15. Tachyon Augur

as mentioned, i like the story... i got this robe during my guild's first quarm raid... beats buying it in my opinion
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Dont play a Free Trader server problem solved! and btw lot of ppl dont care about the story!
    fransisco likes this.
  17. Raytheon Augur

Look at the number of active raiding guilds on Mischief in it's current expansion vs. the number of active raiding guilds in the same expansion of every other previous TLP server and tell me that free trade discourages raiding.
    Appren, Risiko and OldTimeEQ1 like this.
  18. TheDohn Augur

So you posted a question you know the answer to so you could sniff your own farts and tell everyone how great they smell?

That's some A+ internet-as-personality.
  19. Tachyon Augur

just curious to others thoughts silly person
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Someone has to do the raiding or there is no gear to purchase.

Raiding is also fun. :)