Free for all zone for noobs and vets alike?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Metanis Bad Company

Envision a completely new type of large-scale 24/7 zone where the mechanics of EQ work differently! The idea would be to allow anyone of any level and capability to join in a Battle Royale environment and share in EXP and Achievements.

Here's my train of thought:

A. Think about the anniversary event in Dragonscale Hills where anyone can help kill the Mech Guardian for a nice mount. You can join in at any time and assist as you are able. Yes, you have to be able to kill some mobs for the various quest drops but everyone in the zone get's the quest updates for the percentage-based smack down portion.

B. Think about an area like Field of Strife in Plane of War. Now segregate areas to be appropriate for groups of levels. Yes, one area would be like the newbie log while other areas could be challenging to raid-equipped 110s.

C. Provide free-ranging buffer and rezzer bots. Groups could be completely optional. And remove the death penalty. So you can try new things and not be penalized for it. Have enough rezzers to ensure nobody is down for more than 30 seconds. And rebuffed shortly after that.

D. Allow both time-based and kill-based EXP. Yes, allow noobs to just stand in the zone and suck up some EXP (probably only a little and slowly). But also allow for shared EXP on kills so that ungrouped players can share in kill EXP. Allow people to gang up on tough mobs and share in the thrill of victory!

E. Make it an inviting area for people of all levels and skills to congregate when they aren't actively pursuing other tasks. To me this would mean bankers, tribute, general vendors, safe areas, free buffs, free food and drink, perhaps some sort of automated trainers to teach noobs how to "get better". Absolutely NO tradeskill vendors or equipment! This zone is for fun only! Besides, you tradeskillers have taken over PoK anyway...

The idea would be to allow new and returning players a method to actually DO something while they are between groups or quests. So instead of sitting around PoK or the Lobby they could come to this "new" zone and hit mobs and earn some EXP and maybe have some camaraderie with fellow players.
    Yimin and poopface like this.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

That DSH anniversary task with the flame igniters was an absolute sheetshow of training, killstealing and general douchery. In the modern era it seems like you’d need to go to TLP or join the 15 people of Zek to recreate the same experience.

Modeling anything after that is going to be a hard pass from me, dawg.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yinla like this.
  3. Horyuken Augur

If you're a paying member you can play H1Z1 with the subscription you are already paying for.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This looks like a play on expansion launch events of old. Anyone who gets a faction hit on the big boss mob is considered a 'participant'. The group or raid awarded with the kill gets special prizes. Everyone else gets a lovely parting gift and a title.

Could do an evolving title as a participation prize - participation for 1 hour gets 'Feeble', 2 hours 'Noteworthy', 4 hours 'Magnanimous' etc etc.

I like the idea. Might need some tweaks, but I like it.
  5. snailish Augur

Warhammer Online had a decent version of this called "public quests" which is not the same as the "zone quest" version I have seen in some other MMO.

Public quests were localized to an area, generally involved killing a difficult (chained) named. If you did damage you were on the loot list. I forget if amount contributed mattered (I think it did) and it would seed you on the loot list. #1 seed got the special chest, #2 might get a special chest as well, or not quite as special and so on. It was semi-randomized. The kicker... repeat the public quest (which respawned a very short time later) and your odds were weighted better even if you didn't do more damage... so eventually, the weakest lowbie contributing to the fight would eventually win a top prize loot just by being persistent. Since they were nodrop loots, you only did the quest for the character you were playing and there was no reason to stay once you got the special loot drop.

Best example of a zone quest I can remember (vaguely) is a zone in WoW that your faction (you play for one of two sides in that game for those that don't know) is racing to collect a number of things from the zone and turn them in before the other side gets the total. Getting the total locks "control" of the zone to your side for a while. In a PVE game you'd want players working together to "turn" a zone within a time limit to spawn the special NPC or versions. Think "Simon's Quest" only you are controlling the daylight switch to get the friendly vendors or quest NPC to show up.

The other thing Warhammer did early and well was an achievement system. Had a nice UI to it. Some nice PC graphics as well, not much else I remember that stood out good about that game.
  6. Yimin Augur

This is a great idea !

YiMin
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Battle Royale can stay as far away from Everquest as possible as far as I'm concerned.
    Gyurika Godofwar, xcitng and Yinla like this.
  8. S33k3r Augur

I really like the public quests, was nice to be able to just join in and try to help out.
    snailish likes this.
  9. CrazyLarth Augur

when I was young to the game
    Fishing tournaments were announced on my sever gave out prizes for the fish. but I supected they used the fish or higher trade skills.

went to two older raids in open zones called by levels it was group gear given out from the mobs but it was better then what I had.

Prophecy of Ro- The Devastation is a cool zone 6 factions battling for the win like a chess match you can help a side the more power that side get the more higher named from that side will pop up including some Raid mobs.
    alway thougt that you can set two raids up and see who pops the 1st raid mob for a win like contest.
  10. CrazyLarth Augur

11. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Any particular reason or are you a fun-hater?
  12. snailish Augur

I can't remember clearly... did it let you "opt out" of the loot lottery, thereby allowing a strong character to aid in the kill without influencing the chance % of being seeded well on the loot list?

Such an option could make it work well in EQ maybe.