Forum rules for 3rd party software discussion?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Apr 5, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Some pro-cheat posters are now calling anti-cheat posters toxic.

Is it time for official forum rules regarding 3rd party software discussion?

This is not a call to suppress speech. Some pro-cheat folks are now feeling bullied/victimized.
  2. Lamarye New Member

Yawn
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

-Anti 3rd party: Never used a single one not even GINA. I don't see the need to discuss any of them either. But many use GINA, and have occasion to talk about it, or other allowed things. Gray area I guess, best to avoid.

What seems to get people enraged is the discussion of built in slash commands, not 3rd party software.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We probably could use rules for New Members and sock puppets.

There’s probably 2-3 people using multiple accounts to push the cheat agenda while collaborating on a third party cheat website forum.
    Bigstomp and Khat_Nip like this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

The deluge of New Members who spontaneously come out of the woodwork to defend cheating just hurts their cause anyway. It's almost comical.
    Ozon, Wyre Wintermute, Benito and 2 others like this.
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Start date and posts are about all I need, that and obvious agenda.

We need less witch hunting of long time members that love this game, no matter their play style.
    Leerah and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  7. Cheyana Journeyman

If you don't like the message, silence the voices? Because that's worked out well all around the world today and throughout history.

Open discussion is healthy and productive, stifling dissent not so much.
    Fenthen, Leerah and MasterMagnus like this.
  8. Cheyana Journeyman

Are they "new" members, or people who just haven't wasted their time on the forums trying to pound sense into the soapbox crowd. My account, although it says "new" here has been consistently active since 2001.
  9. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I have my ways of knowing. As I said for one, obvious agenda. You are passionate, you love the game.

Plus you have a 'Likeability Ratio' above 1. 1.11 to be exact.

We can tell you from a 2 post person posting in a certain obnoxious way. And saying things like "I'm not about that life." ;)
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Who said I wanted full blown censorship? Read my OP.

Ever heard of parliamentary rules (i.e. Robert's Rules of Order)?

For example, they could do the following:

• Veteran members (for or against) gets 3 posts on the subject (within a specific timeframe or thread)
    • New members (for or against) gets 1 post on the subject.
    • Moderator has tools to detect sock puppets.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

12. Vumad Cape Wearer

The topic isn't the issue. The issue is people keep creating new threads about basically the same topic. Kind of like this thread.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Link the thread that discusses forum rules for 3rd party software. When people discuss 3rd party software, we should apply even-handed parliamentary rules (e.g. post limits so make your cogent post count).

The ratio of pro-cheat threads to anti-cheat threads (original post) stands at 5:1 at this moment. The application of duplicate threads and cross-posting rules hurts the vocal pro-cheat minority.
  14. Cheyana Journeyman

When people selectively cut and paste "quotes" to change the context and offer condescending insults to posters whose views they don't agree with, yes, toxic.

When people don't like the message and suggest stifling voices that have not been heard in the guise of "rules of order", then yes, toxic.
    MacDubh likes this.
  15. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Some of us are sick and tired of specific people thinking they are the arbitrator of what cheating is.

I coined a phrase remember? Little Darlings?

Are we different men? (No)
    We are exactly the same
    There are no boxes for us
    The ones you love to hate, so read on
  16. Benito EQ player since 2001.

When someone puts words in other people's mouths, that is the very definition of toxic.

Rules of order exist so each side gets to be heard (make a cogent statement) without one side trying to control the microphone or regurgitating their case ad inifinitum. Most public forums (legislative bodies, public meetings) have rules to avoid the very circus we have here.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

True. The pro-cheat is trying to make their case based on who is the loudest.

Rules of order would be antithetical to their modus operandi.
  18. Sissruukk Rogue One

But no one made you the moderator of the rules of order.
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've merely suggested implementing rules of order.

Accendo or JChan can decide on the rules of debate.

Ostensibly, my intentions are good. I want people to discuss their concerns. I think it is wrong that if someone has a concern about a suspension or specific actions that they cannot bring it up. At the same time, I am concerned about the circus-like atmosphere on 10-page threads with senseless back-and-forth that tears the community apart. This can be remedied by fair and evenhanded rules on debate.

To be clear, the rules would also apply to me. Gone are the days that Benito can refute every point.
  20. Sissruukk Rogue One

Accendo does decide the rules of debate...it usually ends up with a lock icon on a thread.

But, I don't think this community is tearing itself apart. I think that there are legitimate concerns about the state of the game, who and what supports it, and where we go from here. There have been numerous threads where people have gone to great lengths to offer suggestions, just to have those unmovable purists shoot down every idea. Beyond the ad hominem attacks that some resort to, there is actually discussion going on. But we have to remember that we on ForumQuest represent only a small fraction of those that actually play. Our voices may be the loudest, but do they truly represent what the population as a whole want?
    Imforfreedom and MacDubh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.