force of Othriss broken for paladins

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by fransisco, Mar 12, 2018.

1. fransisco Augur

I just noticed that the lvl 110 paladin stun is capped at lvl 110 mobs.
    All the 106-109 stuns are capped at lvl 113. Can this be fixed?
  2. Wulfhere Augur

It's the upgrade to CotF spell Force of Abrogation.

Therefore Force of Orthiss should have a stun cap of 115. The rest of the spell data looks okay.
  3. Qbert Gallifreyan

Eh, I'm surprised anyone would even use this spell. It is on the same timer as Timorous Deep, which lands on all mob types instead of undead only.

But yes, the level cap is nonsensical.
  4. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I posted about that back in the beta spell forums as a bug.
    I just sent something to Absor about it the other day to bring it up again.

It should be capped at 115 instead of 113 but it's nearly useless with a cap of 110 like it has right now, since there are plenty of undead mobs in the expansion that are 110-113.
  5. Wulfhere Augur

Honestly, I've never used this line of stuns, favoring undead nukes instead. It's nice and in-character to have a better (in this case longer duration) stun vs undead but game design doesn't encourage it's use.

Heck I'll go so far as to say that paladin stuns are mostly obsolete with the arrival of Harmonious Blessing. The nail was already in the coffin for the past few years (thank healer mercs) and that spell hammered it down. It's funny how the tables have turned since the only time I memorize any stuns is for specific raid events where the strats include stun bubbles.

The sad thing is that knight tanking is still being balanced around paladins having and benefitting from stuns. That's just not how it's done these days.
  6. fransisco Augur

Isn't the stun part of harmonious worthless now? Its capped at lvl 110 mobs
  7. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Personally, I'm with Wulfhere and never really bother with loading stuns except in raid situations that require it. The perfect example is the EoK Prince raid where 2 Paladins can rotate through their stuns and almost entirely lock down one of the two adds. When grouping, I'd rather load up with DPS spells instead. If I were going to load the stuns for tanking purposes, I'd probably load the normal Timorous Deep version because it isn't limited to just undead / vampires and the other aspects of the spell aren't worth giving up that flexibility to me. Maybe if there were an undead / vampire mob(s) over level 113 (assuming Orthis is eventually capped at 115) that needed to be interrupted and wasn't immune to stuns, it would make sense.

Harmonious's main use is for the group heal component - even if it's only the Paladin taking damage. Just like Fransisco pointed out, the cap of 110 on the stun kills it's benefit in RoS zones.
  8. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

I just added Aristo to the message I sent to Absor.... Total senior moment there. "Absor" != "Aristo" Not sure what in the world I was thinking.
  9. Wulfhere Augur

Yes and no, since it still adds hate and triggers Harmonious Light heals. I'm not sure we can even call that a bug since many spells with level caps don't get upgraded (ever). It's taken 5 expansions for Abrogation to be upgraded, as we're talking about it here.

So yes it's possible that we'll see a resurgance of stun spell usage as Harmonious is out leveled. Still I think the nuke + ToT heal spell sets we've all been using for years (nod to Shiftie) will continue because of how DBG does tank balancing (if a sk/war can tank without stuns, so can and will an efficient paladin).

Heck, DBG should have attached Undying Helix AA to Abrogation line, during AA consolidation, not to a unrelated spell line (Refute for Honor). If they insist on making paladins mem spell gems for useless spells, at least keep it consistent. Instead someone through a dart and it hit the Honor line and that got totally reworked, and I still hardly ever mem it since the end result is still underwelming. Wasted effort on their part.
    shiftie likes this.
  10. fransisco Augur

I agree harmonious is far from useless. Simply meant to point out that the stun component doesn't really apply anymore.

I find myself using stuns in groups alot. In HS for example, I can safely 2h in a mix of tradeskill and t1 gear. That really ups my kill rate for more than the nukes ever would (Especially on the undead).
  11. shiftie Augur

We will still slum with stuns again as groupers in early content when our gear isn’t quite where it needs to be. Or if stunlocking prevents a detrimental effect. When I first entered eok I was using stuns to solo because my gear was really outdated as I gained some gear I bagged them in favor of nukes again. As long as we have access to them they will continue to be problematic from a balance issue. In response to this thread if we are going to have them, they should at least be working right.

If they upgraded wiz Mercs I’d be more inclined to stunlock content and self heal but as it stands we lose more dps stunning and healing than we gain nuking with a healer merc.

I do like the stun and hot reflect in that it heals for more than the standard hot (so weird) but I only use it when no merc or other healer is present
    Wulfhere likes this.
  12. Wulfhere Augur

Yes indeed, 2H and healer merc nets the most DPS for a paladin. I also like to use Force of Ardency line for the HoT to help mitigate spiky damage when solo/molo.

Beware that the type 3 aug for Ardant Healing doesn't do anything, doesn't work, at all. I reported the bug several times. Don't buy that line of augs - https://items.eqresource.com/items.php?id=114633 until you see a patch note that fixes them.