Food and Drink on Phinny

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by DuchessElindra, Dec 22, 2015.

1. DuchessElindra Elder

Some guy in a group ealier asked me to summon some on my cleric.
    I just distroyed my own starter food/drink upon first login and just hid the emote spam on another chat window but never noticed any regen problem on RF or on Phinny. Food and drink are, like on normal servers, only used for buff and you dont get any "nerf" to your regen for not having any, right? Or am I fooling myself?
  2. Moranis Augur

I've noticed no difference on Phinny...
  3. Lonye Augur

Once your thirst reaches a certain point, you will no longer benefit from the nice mana regen that Meditate provides. Hunger and endurance have the same relationship.

Edit: to test this, open inventory, go to Stats tab, (be really thirsty) look at your Mana Regen. Now sit. Look at Mana Regen again. Look at that number. Now buy and consume all the drink you can. Now sit and look at your meditate number.

Again, this is after being thirsty for a considerable amount of time.
    Felicite likes this.
  4. Miseryhatescompany Journeyman

Endurance regen drops
  5. Nickatropolis Augur

I let my druid sit afk for about 8 hours and he starved himself. I jumped on a little later that day and I couldn't meditate at all, had ZERO mana regen. Had to beg someone in my group for food, so that I could eat and regen some mana. Starvation is real on Phinny.
  6. Nolrog Augur

So does mana regen.
  7. Tudadar Augur

At some point a percentage of chars ( not all ) not sure why this is... anyways they will lose all hp and mana regen. You will not get 1 single point of mana back from sitting. At this point you buy food/drink or get clarity if you want to gate or anything else.
  8. DuchessElindra Elder

I v been through 25 level on two characters being out of drink from level 1.
  9. PathToEternity pathtoeternity.pro

I've been hearing this since at least Fippy, so on Ragefire I did some empirical testing. I let Jain (barbarian shaman) go sit in Halas over night without food to water to make sure he was as hungry/thirsty as possible.

I recorded regen for both HP and Mana both sitting and standing. while hungry and thirsty, then ate/drank until I could eat/drink no more and recorded the same numbers. There was no difference whether I was starving to death or stuffed to the limits.

Unfortunately I can't find the spreadsheet I compared all this on. It would be pretty easy to reproduce the experiment though.
  10. Tudadar Augur

Its extremely rare. You mostly see this when you play 25-50+ characters and once or twice a week 1-3 of them have no regen whatsoever.
  11. Zublak Augur

At first my toons didn't have any differences medding while being out of food and/or drink. However now anytime they're out I do not regen mana. The last few days I've used my wifes druid to power level some alts, once I full buff them I'm around 70% mana, I sit while they kill for 15 mins, rebuff, rinse repeat. Needless to say I ended up oom cause she was only out of drink. I sat the entire time, but never regened any mana back. This was at lvl 51. My cleric and enchanter have had the same occurrence, but their mana never stopped regening, it just slowed waaaaaaaaay down.

So it does for sure have an effect. Not sure if it varies by level, server or what, but there is a penalty at some point.
  12. Silv Augur

Just tested this on Live - starving/thirsty characters don't receive the sitting/mount regen benefits (as reported above). Eating/drinking restores it. I can't give you a time frame on "how" starving you have to be for it to work though.

Just monitor your inventory window, "stat tab".
  13. Ducreux Augur

It's a very odd system now and it doesn't seem to be consistent on when it kicks in. On ragefire on my Wiz i went months without food no problems whatsoever, then I would randomly lose the ability to gain mana from Med until I got food/drink.

Same thing essentially happened here, my Mage at 50 lost mana regen about a week into the server but hasn't occured again.
  14. Nickatropolis Augur

Likely code is bugged...

Just like at some point in time, the code for mob pathing broke too, and was never fixed.
  15. Zublak Augur

Pretty much this. it seems super random.
  16. Iyvy Augur

I have never bought food or drink and i seem fine. I've heard that if you have food and drink and then run out you will lose regen, but if you log in at max thirst/hunger you will not lose regen. What's happening is likely you are picking up food or drink from a mob, resetting your hunger/thirst so that regen drops again.
    Lokero likes this.
  17. Lokero Elder

Didn't that happen before they even released the original EQ though? =p

That sounds pretty reasonable. Best theory I've seen about it, anyway. I could see how logging might put the snafu on it.
  18. Silv Augur

Think it should be clarified that you don't lose ALL regen but you lose the OOC regen benefit (at least on Live)... I thought that wasn't active yet on TLP anyway?
  19. Lokero Elder

You are correct. Mana regen is a flat rate based on med skill alone on the TLPs.

Health regen however uses an older scaling system that was added post-launch(I think). Every so often, not sure on the timer(maybe 1 minute per upscale), your health regen rises. This requires you to stay sitting the entire time or else it resets. So, if you stand at all, you are back to the beginning.

Iirc, that was added at some point to help out Warriors and the like regen just a bit faster when they started to gain lots of health.
    Silv likes this.
  20. Nuanil Elder

Umm.... you didn't just forage some food?