Follow with bard speed causes followers to leap frog each other and run past the leader

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Risiko, Nov 25, 2019.

1. Risiko Augur

This is one of my biggest annoyances with running three accounts and three mercenaries. As I'm running along on my main character, the others are /follow on me. I constantly hear them going "umph" as they play leap frog over each other over and over.

If I stop, they run right past me, and turn around to stair at me like puppies waiting on me to throw them a treat.

Why is it that /follow can't just make everybody follow me at a set distance, not go past me, don't play leap frog with one another, and follow me swimming and levitating at the same height as my main character?

If I go pay for a certain program, it will do just that, but I prefer to play with the tools that DBG makes available for me to use.

Please fix /follow. The old follow had 20 years. It's time for an update please.
    That0neguy, Baldur and Dythan like this.
  2. Dythan Ban Lev in Plane of Fire guy

Signed, before someone tells you to just make 5 real friends and stop being anti social.
  3. Risiko Augur

I totally get why people would make the anti-social comment, but I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of people that play on Live servers box most of the time.

The fact is, EverQuest has an enormous range of accomplishments that cover tons of content, and all of those accomplishments require a lot of time and dedication to complete.

The likelihood of someone else doing the exact same thing at the exact same part in the exact same quest/task/mission and having the exact same amount of play time that evening to join you is very, very slim.

So, it's not that people are anti-social, but rather they are just trying to get things done as efficiently as possible in the small amount of time they have available.
  4. code-zero Augur

Are you following someone besides the bard? Never follow the bard directly
  5. Tucoh Augur

My only contribution to your thread: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...wishes-and-dreams-what-would-you-want.246367/ (and one of the highest rated ones) is an improved follow (specifically for Zaxis movement)

However, there's a small trick you can use to mitigate the overrun problem is to use strafing. When you run forward/backward the game predicts your movement for future frames where it'll show people running forward and then warping back. It doesn't do this for strafing, so you're guaranteed to have uhh, deterministic /follow movement.

This is important for tanking too, because mobs will overreact to your forward/backward movement and overrun, but if you strafe they'll only react to your actual movement.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. Risiko Augur

SK is the lead. Bard and enchanter follow the SK.

Before someone says it, I know... bard and enchanter... my brother wanted to play a bard after I already had my SK/Enchanter setup. So, I pull the bard around just in case he wants to play.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Risiko Augur

So... you're saying I have to strafe everywhere I go to keep the boxes from acting like idiots? lol /sigh
  8. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

This x1000. Strafing is best when you have boxes on AF.