Fix for the (4-404) Error with Launchpad

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Warpiggs, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Roshen Brand Manager

For every game that uses the LaunchPad, users can get to the Logs by:

1)Right mouse-click on the game icon
    2)Select “Open file location”
    3)In the game directory, there is a LaunchPad.libs folder
    4)Zip the “Logs” folder within LaunchPad.libs and send it to us

An alternative for 1) and 2) is to go to the game directory (If you know where it is).

If you're able to pull these, please private message me so I can direct you where to send these files.
  2. Sarkaukar Augur

Right now the players do not know which logs files are needed. There is not a launchpad*.* except for the one in the primary folder that only has 2 lines in it.

Then there is the dbg.txt in the EQ\logs folder then several logs in the Everquest\Launchpad.lib\logs folder. I have a launchpad.log in primary folder but the last time it was used/updated was back at the end of July 2012, so that is likely not the log or logs being requested.

As for those which the common items did not work, some of the primary things missing is location and ISP. It does matter, just like when the DNS /SOE payment for the host was not made and the cluster afterwards, where the last people having issues were with a specific carrier.

Edited, had my post open while I was looking around the EQ folder. So for those being affected it is the entire logs folder that resides in the Launchpad.libs folder.
  3. Coas Lorekeeper

Tried all of these suggestions and still getting 4-404. If I can't run the patcher by the 28th for TDS files then I'm done. On my last nerve with this problem. Any other suggestions?
  4. Sarkaukar Augur

Send Roshen the information being requested.

Also, what is your location and what ISP are you using?
  5. Grumpyoldfart New Member

Roshen has my logs, I've been playing since 2000, and my location and ISP haven't changed in all that time, so unless they * hafling-ed * something up in the patch, ( which I maintain is the problem since NOTHING in my clients have changed from the way they were before the bloody patch ) I don't see that as being relevant.../sigh :confused:

( Kansas and Cox cable )
  6. Coas Lorekeeper

I'm about 40 minutes from St. Louis and I have Uverse (at&t).
  7. js80134 New Member

Colorado Century Link
  8. Leeanni Elder

I won't put my computer at risk by doing option 2. I guess this is the end of EQ for me. Crazy way to end it, huh?
  9. Leeanni Elder

There used to be a way to bypass the launcher to get in the game. Is that still an option? If so, how?
  10. Leeanni Elder

11. Leeanni Elder

So, due to this issue, I am unable to get into EQ without bypassing the patcher and I cannot get into LoN at all. This is really sad.
  12. Leeanni Elder

Would be nice to try #3 and #4, but both bring up a "webpage not available" message. So, oh well. Anything to do with soe help pages is not available.
  13. Xelant New Member

I have two different systems running all the SoE games. My Windows VISTA is having the current 4-404 problem while my Windows 7 Home Edition accesses and runs them all. This all started when I ran Windows Update on the VISTA machine and did a dozen or so updates. Deleting the Cache folder does absolutely nothing and there is no way I will compromise my network by changing personal security settings.

Years ago when this happened, most SoE customers put up with this type of problem and stuck around, but with all the great games available now, I dont see it. How come, when SoE breaks something, it can take months to fix it while their dedicated customers figure out work-arounds or just bide their time.

Sorry Sony, another nail in the SoE coffin
    Lisandra likes this.
  14. Sarkaukar Augur

1st, none of my systems have this error. Looking at the Internet Options as suggested on #3 What is unchecked is the Do not save encrypted pages to disk. This should be unchecked by default. The check server certificate already checked. Enhanced Protected Mode (aka sandboxing) is also unchecked.

For those who have actually looked, is/was the Do not save encrypted pages checked? For different programs/etc having that one checked has caused issues/weird behaviors, even when simply downloading files.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals...-not-save-encrypted-pages-to-disk-is-set.aspx
  15. Qulas Augur

Lisandra likes this.
  16. Leeanni Elder

I have had the 8.8.8.8 since the last time something like this happened.
  17. Grumpyoldfart New Member

......:oops:....Neither the launcher bypass, ( patchme ) nor changing to a public DNS server, had any effect on my ability to login to the game...the launchpad still came up, and I still got the 4-404 error...really, really, REALLY gettin fed up with this unnecessary nonsense...:mad:
  18. Corlen-Xeg Elder

I just helped troubleshoot this for a friend. This should be the proper fix.

Go into Internet Options, and go to the Advanced Tab. Make sure you have at least TLS 1.0 checked on. If you have the options for TLS 1.1 and 1.2 it doesn't hurt to check them either (it will use whatever is best available).

My guess is the network guys at Sony disabled SSL 3.0 on their end because of a recent vulnerability called POODLE and didn't properly relay that to the rest of the company.
  19. Leeanni Elder

Thank you. That actually fixed it. NO more need to run the patcher bypass. LoN works also. YEA!!
  20. Sarkaukar Augur