Fix for the (4-404) Error with Launchpad

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Warpiggs, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Warpiggs Augur

The issue you are currently experiencing is commonly related to a caching issue with the game's launchpad. In order to possibly resolve this issue, go to your game's folder and open the launchpad.libs folder, then delete the folder named launchpad.cache. From there, try accessing the game once again.

If this does not resolve your issue please reset your Internet options by following these instructions: Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Click the Advanced Tab. On the Advanced Tab Afterward click Reset > Delete Personal Settings > and click Ok. Then go back on the Internet Options and on the advanced tab, scroll down to Security and un-check "Check Server Certificate Revocation" and "Do Not Save Encrypted Pages to Disk" then click on Ok.

This worked for me. Thanks Thomas over at live support.
    Lisandra and Roshen like this.
  2. Roshen Brand Manager

3. js80134 New Member

In my opinion this is a ridiculous suggestion. Changing my personal settings and unchecking Server Certificate Revocation simply to play EQ is asking a bit too much. You had a patch yesterday so this error is on your end not mine.
  4. Sad gamer New Member

What a Shittie fix you give. I did this & all my remembered passwords are now removed. I sent a request to reset my eq password 8 hours ago & no reply. I am waiting for support to wake up to call them.
  5. hakmer Augur

6. lolly Elder

i also am getting this error with launchpad, so cant play the game now - hope you guys fix it soon!
  7. TSR-SeanF Augur

Hello! We're currently looking into the launcher issues that many of you are reporting. In the mean time, we have a few things to try if you are encountering this problem with the launcher (I know some of them were mentioned before in the previous posts, but I am going to re-cap them here to make a complied list):

1. Clearing LP4 Cache Settings: You can clear the LP4 cache by going to the game's folder and finding the launchpad.libs folder. From there, delete the launchpad.cache folder and try accessing the game once again.

2. Resetting Internet Options: Go to Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Click the Advanced Tab. On the Advanced Tab Afterward click Reset > Delete Personal Settings > and click Ok. Then go back on the Internet Options and on the advanced tab, scroll down to Security and un-check "Check Server Certificate Revocation" and "Do Not Save Encrypted Pages to Disk" then click on Ok.

3. Resetting your Windows Proxy Settings: Please review the following article: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28400

4. Try running a repair on the launcher with the LP4 setup file: http://launch.soe.com/everquest/

If these steps fail please either let me know here or in a ticket at help.soe.com - Inversely, I'd also really appreciate any confirmations of what fix worked for you. Thanks guys!
  8. Lisandra Augur

There's probably a bit better method for the casual computer user who doesn't have as much experience with adjusting settings than the one offered above otherwise they're likely to leave themselves open to infection & attack unintentionally. I would suggest using Malwarebytes Antimalware, Spybot Search & Destroy, Adblock +, Web Of Trust & your choice of antivirus aside from Norton or Symantec. Ccleaner & Glary Utilities are also handy for keeping your system free of clutter & temp files.
  9. Shiron New Member

Completely agree. This is a nonsensical and dangerous "option." Not to mention the total clusterfwap when dealing with multiple systems and locations, all of which have the same problem. Come on, SOE, you're better than this (one would hope).

Note: none of the other options helped.
  10. Frackus-Bertox New Member

Tried all of the above, no success. Has anyone gotten past this yet?
    Never had any Launchpad issues in Past of this type. and no Changes to PC recently.
  11. Satrrarn New Member

Don't know if it really makes a difference, but the machine I get the 4-404 error on is running XP-pro and cannot enter any of the soe webpages either. Yes I have internet access and other non soe pages will load up. Two other machines are on windows 7 and no problems with the Launchpad and can access soe pages.
  12. js80134 New Member

Hoping against hope I downloaded my 2002 five disc Ever Quest Gold Edition......no luck. This has become silly. I have attempted all other suggestions and will not delete my personal settings. I have enjoyed playing again after a few year hiatus but if I cant play when I want there is no reason to keep SOE on my computer. Hope you get this fixed soon.
  13. Clarisa Augur

I was getting the 4-404 error on my Windows 7 laptop, though my Windows XP desktop was fine. Both systems are on the same network, and neither had any issues with internet access or loading SOE websites. The laptop was using a different DNS thingy (ISP's) over the desktop (Google), though I didn't try changing it before going through the solution list.

Solution 2 ended up fixing the error on my laptop, though I am concerned about the security issues turning off that "Check Server Certificate Revocation" may cause. If I don't use Internet Explorer for browsing and have Avast and Malwarebytes active protection, would I be fine leaving that setting off?
  14. wackypak77 New Member

I have tried countless "fixes" since Wednesday and still nothing has worked. And why does the link http://launch.soe.com/everquest/ send me to Planetside 2 setup? Am I missing something? Really wish I could play what I'm paying for...!
  15. roglik7 New Member

I was having the same issue.Option #2 worked for me.But I'm upset that I had to do so.
  16. Grumpyoldfart New Member

none of this worked for me..

surprise, surprise...
  17. Salalen New Member

So I finally got mine working.

I downloaded all the windows updates, I had updates turned off. This patched windows explorer. Then the step below that is listed in one of the comments above.

Resetting your Windows Proxy Settings: Please review the following article: http://help.soe.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28400

This also gave me access to the sony page that I previously could only access through firefox.

hope this works for others
  18. js80134 New Member

Any update for a fix to the 404 issue. I cant be the only one who has waited a week to have this fixed. I have attempted all but resetting my personal information. Nothing has worked. After some internet research I found this issue has been around over a year. One would think that someone at SOE would have this fixed and not suggest "we have a few things to try".
  19. Roshen Brand Manager

If you started getting 4-404 errors last week, please contact me directly. I'd like to get LaunchPad logs from you, so we can prevent issues like this from occurring moving forward.
  20. js80134 New Member

Let me know how to accomplish that task and I will gladly provide the logs. I have uninstalled and installed the EQ application multiple times.