Fix for my low framerate when making videos

Discussion in 'Casters' started by IblisTheMage, Mar 17, 2018.

1. IblisTheMage Augur

I previously recorded a video, that ended up having extremely bad frame rate. My PC is really old (11 years), and even though it was somewhat of high end PC back then (Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450@2.66/2.67), it is now a quite old machine.

I have an Nvidia GFX-card, and searching around, I found out that Nvidia has a free tool called ShadowPlay...

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/shadowplay/

...that is using the GFX card to do the screen capture. This releases the burden from my processor, since my GFX is of newer date (GTX 960).

The result is really good from a frame rate perspective, however the sound is a little less good, it is a bit metallic.

I made a video using this, nothing interesting, but it demonstrates the smoothness of the tool.

(also, I need to turn down the volume of our lovely friend GINA :) )

Also, the tool is specified as being capable of instant replay, by continously screencapturing, and buffering an amount, say for example the last 10 minutes of play. I think the use case is to have it running all the time, and when something awesome happens, you interact with the software and save the buffer.
  2. Riou EQResource

I like to use OBS for local recording (it can also be used to Stream on Twitch and a few other platforms) - have 2 saved set ups in it 1 for streaming, 1 for recording

It has an NVENC setting also (uses the same thing that shadow play uses) if chosen over CPU

The only problem with NVENC for streaming is it requires higher bitrate for same quality as CPU which doesn't play as nice on streaming places (since they have a limit on bit rate while local recordings do not)
    IblisTheMage likes this.