Five Point Palm

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KorlaxSnorlax, Feb 6, 2013.

1. KorlaxSnorlax New Member

is the agro on this intended? it never used to pull so much agro
  2. sojuu Augur

This probably should have been in the class area. But they changed it to this with being just straight damage. Instead of before where it was put on the mob and when the timer ran out it did the dmg. This way multiple monks can use it, instead of timing it and communicating on raids.
  3. Samtan Lorekeeper

The agro is actually a good thing for Monks that tank for groups. I say keep it as is. I know a lot of monks like it.
  4. Aggememnon Elder

This question was asked in the IRC chats - you can find logs on MB forums.
    As Sojuu said, it was changed to to instant damage since there were stacking issues (if you *ever* had more than 1 monk on the server in raid).

The aggro is a side effect, and will not be removed, as I recall....
    FFP is *very* useful (/nod), since it's 5 min recast time matches well with the time it takes a monk to solo a dark blue mob, using 2 expansion old weapons (since it seems devs forgot to add any new only the past 2 years at over 0.001% drop rate).

5 mins is also roughly the time it takes to 'return to bind', get to lobby, wait to 'revive' merc, rezz self , and get back to the mob that killed you, and not have to worry that your clr merc will take aggro. Thanks FFP. /double_thumbs_up
  5. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Monks aren't tanks and a 5 minute cooldown ability that has aggro on it should never be intended for tanking, so let's get that silly notion out of our heads.
  6. Samtan Lorekeeper

Monks are actually considered "Light Tanks" by the devs. Ask one, they'll tell you the same. And ive known quite a few Monks in my time (still do) that box their own group and the Monk is tanking 100% of the time.

So maybe not a true tank, but a light tank none the less. Much like Rangers.
  7. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Ability to take damage has almost nothing to do with tanking.
  8. Xirtket Augur

fd?
  9. KorlaxSnorlax New Member

the extra damage is nice, pretty sure ive critted for 140K plus but even after a tank has agro on mob and IF i choose to click it,i can instantly go from 3 on the agro meter to 60 or even higher. I dont mind the extra hotkey to press to gain some dps, but being able to pull agro from a tank in a raid because i press one button is absurd. Fpp is pretty much useless in a group setting unless mob is almost dead, as it will pull agro quite frequently. I rolled a mage recently and box her most of the time instead of grouping. So i rarely use the monk other then having the extra healer on named. I just hate the change and for what it is worth, I dont like it.
  10. Sereusa New Member

FPP then FD/stand/attack on... Pretty normal to use on raids since monks need to FD fairly often anyway to keep their aggro low especially with bosses that require switching tanks. It just means that you really only get about half the FPP dps boost because of the second or two of lost normal dps.
  11. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I've never used it on a raid, so I can't comment on that much, but it does seem incredibly odd that it would pull aggro from a raid tank, but doesn't pull aggro from my merc tank.

Is that a mechanic of raids in general? The mechanic being it's just generally harder for a tank to hold aggro?
  12. Maereax Augur

In response to the thread, it was not "intended" but is now a core part of the ability.

For those monks that visit our class website and contribute to our direction:

We've come to the consensus that it's a positive route for the ability and we'd not like it changed. If we need the snap agro, it's an excellent tool. Other 'light tank' classes have their own means for generating agro, and this helps us catch up to them a little. If we don't want the agro, you have the options of either using it and then immediately FD/ID-ing and standing, or simply wait until your tank has had some time to ramp up his agro.

For those that don't and just want to troll the thread...

No one said we were tanks. Someone said we tank for groups. Being a tank is an adjective, tanking is a verb. As for five minute cooldown abilities for tanking, it's called a cooldown and every tank in every game has them. A cooldown is something with a reuse timer greater than it takes to kill a mob or two, and is intended to be used when the situation calls for extra/different/more of something. If you have a burn disc, you know what i'm talking about

Ability to take the required damage is one of two requirements of being a tank. The other is being able to hold agro. Clearly not related whatsoever.

I'm no professional tank but to me it seems like it should be more difficult to hold agro off of the other 53 people in a raid rather than the five other people in a group. Also, due to raids involving more than targeting and turning on attack, sometimes burns are used when tanks have very little ramp-up time to generate agro, meaning it's fairly easy to pull at times.