First Time Player Server Question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Nezkeys79, May 18, 2016.

1. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Hello everyone welcome to a noob everquester. FFXI brought me here I have been playing only that game for years and today woke up and just decided I wanted a change and have always wanted to play this game and guild wars too (which i also downloaded btw).

Anyway I am from the United Kingdom and heard that Antonius Bayle is the best for me but when trying to access the game it tells me to go to Vox so I just wanted to make sure. For example Antonius Bayle could be for EU but it could also be empty compared to vox for all I know
  2. Borek-VS Augur

AB is in Europe, and so has a better ping (etc), and a much higher European population. Vox doesn't.

However, as there are no overall character limits on EQ, I wouldn't worry about it. Just log in at your normal play times, and create a character on both servers. Use them to take a look around, see how many are in popular zones, such as Gloomingdeep Mines (the tutorial), Plane of Knowledge, the Guild Lobby, and the Bazzar. Watch the conversation in /general, maybe chat to a few people.
  3. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Would expect to create more than one character costs extra real money tho? also sounds like you are suggesting AB for me
  4. --Voodoo-- Augur

Free accounts get, I believe, 2 character slots. But that is per server. Have to be a subscriber for the progression servers, but other than that you could make characters on any or all of the other servers until you find one you like.

I'm afraid I don't really know anything about the communities on the various servers, so I can't make any suggestions. I'm sure someone will though.
  5. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Well im i am torn between vox and AB so if i get two for playing free ill create one on both then...just wanna get playing lol
  6. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Can i play both characters at the same time? If not it means ill have to play eaxh character on alternate nights to truly get a feel of both servers
  7. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Iksar seems to get some nice innates and abilities...but its considered evil :( I wanna be on the good side lol even though in theae type of games orcs and trolls etc always have the most appealing stats/innates/abilities for my playstyle :(
  8. Borek-VS Augur

You can only play one character per account at a time, but there's nothing stopping you having multiple free accounts (although not for Phinigel, that's part of the ruleset). So you can have a total of 2 x the number of servers as characters, if you want. No money charged, unless you want more character slots per server, of course.
  9. Borek-VS Augur

'Evil' only affects the old world - cities on Antonica, Faydwer and Odus - and Kunark (the first two releases). After that, the NPCs don't care.
  10. Weverley Augur

Hmmm are you saying an iksar can go to thurgadin without being kos.
  11. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

Im totally new so wont the "old world" be where im spending most of my time? I dont want to end uo going to a city and being attacked all the time by the guards. Or does that happen if you are good in an evil race town? I only said good because of the lore. I want to be a good guy not a bad guy basically lol
  12. beryon Augur

Yes, it happens both ways. It's really only an issue in & around old school cities, though. If you're concerned about being able to visit more cities, pick an Agnostic neutral race such as human or Vah Shir. The Iksar innates will become negligible as you level up, so if you don't want to play an evil type, don't worry about it.
  13. Borek-VS Augur

Yes.
  14. Borek-VS Augur

"Old World" applies to the original release of Everquest, which covered up to level 50; add in Kunark, and that takes you to level 60. City areas outside of that content all don't care. The point to consider is that a lot of content, and better content, was added to cover the same level range. Both Luclin and Serpent's Spine had 1+ content, and TSS is where Crescent Reach and Hero's Journey quest lines are.
  15. Platrat Journeyman

If you find you need an old school faction, it can be raised with some work...

Ogre get frontal melee stun immunity which is very nice.
    Gnomes get tinkering if you want to play with the tradeskill.
    Drakkin get a breath weapon..
    Halflings get a small XP bonus.

But just do yourself a favor and roll an ogre. Or roll a gnome, because ogre's are always hungry and need snacks..gnome kabobs and gnome tossing are favorites of ogres everywhere!
  16. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

I ended up picking an iksar monk lol. I just did a few quests in that starting caverns before i went to bed. I found the 3rd person camera a little annoying and getting uaed to the UI is annoying its a bit of a tbh
  17. Nezkeys79 Journeyman

I did see three real players tho !
  18. Gaen Journeyman

Well unfortunately EQ is an ancient game that though its had improvements its mostly been improvements to add more content. Everything about the game shows its age in comparison to anything newer.

That being said your not railroaded in EQ like other games there is still real difficulty to be found and theres always places to explore and quests to check out if your a lore/story guy such as myself. If you can get past all the flaws and 1990s game design theres a lot of really cool depth and exploration unlike any other game.

If you want perfect polish and design a game like WoW or ones of its clones would be better suited for you.